Author Topic: Thoughts on this E-Bike?  (Read 5305 times)

Larabeth

• Bristles
Thoughts on this E-Bike?
« on: February 06, 2016, 03:01:09 AM »
https://bham.craigslist.org/bik/5382720364.html

I'm thinking about putting an offer on this bike... does anyone have any experience with this brand?  Is $475 a solid offer or should I attempt to go lower?

Thanks for the input!

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
Re: Thoughts on this E-Bike?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 06:54:29 AM »
This is a currie Ezip, you should google around and may be able to find reviews of this bike. I had one Years ago, and I did love it.
Currie has been making electric bikes for years, and they have many versions, the Izip zuma is a modern version and I saw one last year on cape cod and that lady loved hers. I think that Izip is the budget version ( like they used to sell at walmart). My questions are " how old is that bike?" It is New but has the seller had that bike in his garage for 2 years, "How long has the Battery been sitting there unmaintained". The battery being the Most important component on the bike ( most expensive part).
Also why should you buy from him/her? at least if you buy new from a dealer there may be a warranty on the battery. Not sure if that price is any good, you can probably get that bike cheaper or for the same price.

5 years ago when I had that bike I found it had tons of tourque, it only went 15 MPH on motor, but got to 15 mph  in about 2 seconds.
But it only went 15 MPH, they make faster versions, but cost more. This version of bike is cheap, but if you tighten everything up like pedals and headset it should be decent enough. You may have to learn more about Ebikes in order to fix them, bike shop may not want to work on that one. I do recomend a HUB motor version, that is  motor in the center of the Rear  wheel, because a bike shop can be talked into working on it, as the bike is just like a regular bike only the hub is in the rear wheel, which the bike shope a can ignore and work on the rest of the bike. ( am I being clear?)

I have had Ebikes since 2003, I have been working on them ever since because at the time it was impossible to find anyone to work on them for me. So now I know quite a bit about bikes and so forth. Ask me anything.
I can recommend Endless sphere ebike forum but the info is scattered , they will help you if you start a new thread and especially if you searched first. I used to hang out there but some people there are young and it is a bunch of guys and they can be very disrepectful toward women, so I don't hang there anymore.
P can also recomend Ebikes.ca ofor info and ebike kits AKA grin tech, or in china em3.com
and in the USA ebikekit.com.
good luck

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 06:59:37 PM »
If you are going to get a kind of crippled e-bike for low bucks why not buy a NIB Schwinn Tailwind for $300 (free shipping) and then add a 24v-36v Chinese LIPO battery pack with the advice of the ES enthusiasts?

You'll be happier, or at least not as unhappy going that route.

Here 'tis:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REDUCED-SCHWINN-TAILWIND-ELECTRIC-MENS-BIKE-Medium-700c-NotWorkingBattery-/301865339054?hash=item46489388ae:g:bX8AAMXQEgpTDOwa

Edited to add:  this ebay vendor has a warehouse full of various models (look at her ebay store) of discontinued Schwinn e-bikes for sale and is completely reliable as far as description and prompt shipping)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 07:17:03 PM by bobechs »

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 07:11:52 PM »
Also, again fwiw,  your exact target bike seems to have a fair market value around $100 ,although I don't think it would pay you to drive over to Austin to pick it up.

Still, if you are inclined to negotiate this listing might help:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-Ezip-Trailz-Electric-Bike-LOCAL-PICKUP-ONLY/111892946245?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D35426%26meid%3Daa0e8ff16e3743e8b048f2df0cb7bc8c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D301865339054

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 02:31:03 AM »
Also, again fwiw,  your exact target bike seems to have a fair market value around $100 ,although I don't think it would pay you to drive over to Austin to pick it up.

Still, if you are inclined to negotiate this listing might help:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/26-Ezip-Trailz-Electric-Bike-LOCAL-PICKUP-ONLY/111892946245?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D35426%26meid%3Daa0e8ff16e3743e8b048f2df0cb7bc8c%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D301865339054

Thanks.  I'll probably keep looking.  I'm in between bikes and I dunno if I have the technical skills to get a kit and spruce up a basic one.  I started reading the big ebike thread the other day and my eyes crossed!!

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 08:23:23 PM »
Do you want to ride an ebike, or have a hobby ebike?  That's more likely to be the hobby ebike than a reliable commuter.  Those old motors aren't amazing, and I believe that's a brushed motor - so it won't handle extra voltage well, and isn't particularly efficient.

If you are going to get a kind of crippled e-bike for low bucks why not buy a NIB Schwinn Tailwind for $300 (free shipping) and then add a 24v-36v Chinese LIPO battery pack with the advice of the ES enthusiasts?

Because the Tailwind is a bad bike?

http://syonyk.blogspot.com/2015/09/schwinn-tailwind-review-in-2015.html

And FFS, don't recommend that someone using a lipo pack for an ebike unless they know what they're doing.  It's a great way to save some money and burn down your house.  And that's the problem with the Tailwind: You have to know what you're doing to find a good battery pack for it.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 09:55:42 PM »

Because the Tailwind is a bad bike?

http://syonyk.blogspot.com/2015/09/schwinn-tailwind-review-in-2015.html

No, not bad.  I think syonyk is way too hard on it in his review but you have to take into account that he is a titanium frame kind of guy.

I own one of the Tailwinds and it is a stout bike with really excellent build quality,  worth way more than the $350 I paid for it (but definitely not worth the $2800 msrp it started with). I followed syonyk's guide on hot-wiring the original battery pack and get the ride you'd expect out of a 100 watt-hour battery, so no lipo needed at the moment.

Crippled though because it is a fairly heavy city bike with an anemic 250 watt front hub motor, pedal assist only and the mentioned puny 100 watt hour battery.  That means it's good for about five to eight miles on a charge, not very usable off city streets and pretty much hopeless without power.

Newer bikes that fix Schwinn's design flaws and follow it's strengths seem a lot more practical as a transportation device.  But they are priced about where Schwinn started, and failed to catch a market.

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 11:09:40 PM »
No, not bad.  I think syonyk is way too hard on it in his review but you have to take into account that he is a titanium frame kind of guy.

Not really... I don't own anything with a titanium frame.  Mostly, I live on the top of a bigass hill in the Seattle metro area, which is insanely hilly.  Mine can't pull a moderate hill, and it just bogs out entirely on steep hills, which would be fine if the gearing went low enough to compensate for it, but it doesn't.

If you live in a flat area, it's probably fine.  This is one problem with ebikes - the bikes that work in Seattle are totally overkill in Iowa, and the bikes that work in Iowa look at a Seattle hill, gulp, and promptly blow a fuse.

I own one of the Tailwinds and it is a stout bike with really excellent build quality,  worth way more than the $350 I paid for it (but definitely not worth the $2800 msrp it started with). I followed syonyk's guide on hot-wiring the original battery pack and get the ride you'd expect out of a 100 watt-hour battery, so no lipo needed at the moment.

Crippled though because it is a fairly heavy city bike with an anemic 250 watt front hub motor, pedal assist only and the mentioned puny 100 watt hour battery.  That means it's good for about five to eight miles on a charge, not very usable off city streets and pretty much hopeless without power.

:p You go about saying I was hard on it, then say pretty much exactly what I said.  It's a heavy bike with a small motor and a tiny battery.  At $350, if you're willing (and able) to hack the battery, it's better than nothing, but not by much.  I'm not sure if I'd ride my pedal bike or the Tailwind if I had to pick between the two for a regular commute.  The Tailwind is marginal with the motor running, and poor at best with it off, especially if you have any sort of hill.

I'm glad you found my guide useful, though!  I need to get mine back so I can document replacing the pack with something else, and I kind of want to see if the controller will tolerate 36v...

I'll give it that it's stout.  Build quality, eh.  All the electric stuff is literally zip tied on.  It's otherwise a heavy Schwinn.  I do like the chain guard, though - that's a nice touch.

Newer bikes that fix Schwinn's design flaws and follow it's strengths seem a lot more practical as a transportation device.  But they are priced about where Schwinn started, and failed to catch a market.

Electric bikes are interesting.  You can (currently) go with cheap, Chinese-ish, fairly reliable, and DIY for repair, or you can go with nicely integrated, super expensive ($4k+ usually), and basically impossible to repair.  There's not much middle ground except DIY.

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 11:32:15 PM »
After reading this and other conversations, I may just go with a riide bike...

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 09:21:31 AM »

They look decent, though "not shipping right now" is a problem.

What are you trying to do, specifically, in terms of distance/terrain/cargo?

If there's an ebike shop within decent range of where you live, go check them out and test ride a few things to see what you like.

Larabeth

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 01:40:11 AM »

They look decent, though "not shipping right now" is a problem.

What are you trying to do, specifically, in terms of distance/terrain/cargo?

If there's an ebike shop within decent range of where you live, go check them out and test ride a few things to see what you like.

Not shipping right now actually doesn't affect me...we aren't moving until March/April anyway, and all this is assumming we close on the house in two weeks (fingers crossed!!!!).

The trip will mostly be back and forth to work, I'm looking at a back road, but it is paved road the whole way, and it measures around 6-8 miles.  On occasion I will also go to the grocery store that is another 1-2 miles out, but I won't be hauling anything that wouldn't fit in a backpack.

I live in Birmingham, Alabama.  We only have a couple of bike shops and they're for the "rich" people... though they do have one electric bike that comes in at $2400. The nearest one is a 30 minute drive from me, but I might go check it out before we move
http://cahabacycles.com/product/electra-townie-go-196494-1.htm

BikeFanatic

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 03:05:24 AM »
What happenend to the I zip? or I zip zuma?

here is a Ebike magazine that may be helpful it has reviews, you have to look around but good information. I think a warrentee
is a good thing on an electric bike especially if it cost 2K, unless it is a cheap Izip.

https://www.electricbike.com/category/reviews/

This bike shop in NYC has been selling Ebikes for over ten years so they have some nice reviews of the currie bikes.
http://www.nycewheels.com/currie.html
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 03:15:09 AM by BikeFanatic »