Author Topic: Thoughts on only 1 week notice of resignation?  (Read 23619 times)

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
Thoughts on only 1 week notice of resignation?
« on: February 10, 2014, 10:55:50 AM »
I know 2 weeks is customary. 

I am expecting a job offer today.  I have a lot I need to wrap up and transition at my current company if I leave, plus I am out on vacation next week.  So I plan on telling my new employer that I can start of 3/10.  This is 4 weeks out, and I know that is on the long end of things, but I think it is what I need to get things done w/o leaving anyone hanging. 

In an ideal world, I would like to be able to provide my current employer with that much notice, but we are paid bonuses based on 2013 performance on 2/28.  I am afraid that if I give my notice before 2/28, they will terminate me in advance of paying the bonus.  I want to give my notice as soon as the bonus is paid.  So if I give my notice on 2/28, that means that I will be giving 1 week of notice.

I am trying to rationalize this as okay for the following reasons:
-I know I'm leaving, and I can transition my duties under the guise of cross training starting now.  This way nobody is left hanging.
-1 week in the grand scheme of making a hire to replace me is not a big deal.  There is a requisition process and a lengthy interview process, so there is no way they could have a replacement in 2 weeks time, anyway.  In short, a week will not make a difference to their replacement process.
-The turnover here is nuts, they fire a lot of people, and I am concerned that I risk a gap in pay (and notably the bonus) if I give too much notice.  Okay, do I really need the money?  No, it's not huge.  But I feel that I've already earned it, and it is due to me.  I don't want to risk not getting it.

I am comfortable telling my old employer, if they ask about why I am only giving a week's notice, that I was concerned about being let go before bonuses were paid given the firing practices I've witnessed in my 4 years here.

To further complicate matters, someone that used to work with me at my old company that now works at the new company wants to know when I give notice, b/c she is still in touch with some folks over here, and wants to know when she can talk about it freely.  I don't want my new employer to know if I don't give 2 weeks notice.  I think I should talk to her and let her know my plan and where I am coming from, and ask her to keep it between us.  Does this sound like a bad idea?

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
Re: Thoughts on only 1 week notice of resignation?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 11:16:48 AM »
Can you start on 3/17 instead of 3/10?

At my employer when someone gives us 2 weeks notice, unless we make an attempt to change their mind and get them to stay, we tend to prefer they only stay a few days to transition some work. Staying any longer than that becomes a burden in a lot of ways. They tend to have already "check-out", they can distract other employees, they can tempt other employees to come with them whether intentionally or not, etc.

They might be happier with a 1 week timeline.

phred

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 11:28:06 AM »
Give your notice as soon as your bonus is "in hand".  With luck, you'll be terminated the same day -- especially if you have any management responsibilities --> the new normal

RoseRelish

• Stubble
    • RoseRelish - Slow down and Enjoy Life
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 11:37:56 AM »
Yeah, I'd say to push back your start date at the new employer. I was in a similar situation when I switched employers a few years back. I gave my notice a week after the bonus hit my account.

Also, be sure you don't have any "gardening leave" type of language in your contract. I was unaware of my mandatory 1-month leave/notice, though a paid month off wasn't too bad. And luckily my new employer was flexible about the whole situation.

Best of luck to you.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2014, 11:38:12 AM »
Often the "you have to work here on day X to get a bonus" is days or weeks before the bonus payout.  Do you know for sure that 2/28 is "the day"?

I have actually gotten a bonus check a month after I quit a job.  (I did quit on good terms... and eventually went back to it.)

MsSindy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2014, 11:39:51 AM »
And def talk to the person at your new company that you would appreciate that she not say ANYTHING until you have explicitly told her that you have given notice - this would be the worst thing to happen if they "heard through the grapevine".

Also, if you have to do any drug testing or background checks for your new job, under no circumstances do you give notice until those things have cleared (even if you're not expecting any problems, they could mess up paperwork or take longer than expected, etc.).  If this is the case, you can also tell your new employer that you'll start 2 weeks after the drug/background checks clear.  If you get let go prior, then take the week or two and enjoy yourself - kind of like a mini-retirement!

Congrats on the new job, BTW!

phred

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 11:41:34 AM »
With a paid month off, you could start at your new employer and get two paychecks for that month

RoseRelish

• Stubble
    • RoseRelish - Slow down and Enjoy Life
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2014, 11:44:52 AM »
With a paid month off, you could start at your new employer and get two paychecks for that month

No, because technically I was still employed and had to abide by their non-compete agreement.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 11:45:07 AM »
It is still far better than the an employee that quit a few weeks ago. The jackass didn't give notice, instead he said that he had to go back home (India) for an emergency and that he would need a few weeks off, which we okayed. Then found out that he was instead in Michigan working. We found out from his wife, after the guy in question didn't bother to respond to phone calls or emails after the time he was supposed to be back. According to his wife he gave 2 weeks notice in writing. I truly hope for his sake that he never needs anything from me again.

Sad part is that if he wanted to quit all he would have had to do was simply tell us. Two weeks bonus while customary, sadly is now a courtesy.

moosestache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 11:57:59 AM »
Is there any chance you would desire to work for this company again?  I know where I work, you have to be employed the entire target year and still employed when they announce the bonus but you can leave before it is paid (typically the Friday of the next week).  We have a lot of turnover after the announcement.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 12:06:12 PM »
Whatever you do, do not burn any bridges. 
None of us know when we might need to return to an old employer, either for a job or for a recommendation.  So tread lightly. 

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 12:36:19 PM »
I would tell the new employer I could start 3/17.  If they balk at that, I'd try to find some middle ground (at date in the middle, starting part time for a few days, etc.).  I'd do whatever I reasonable could--while not alienating my new employer--to make sure I left on good terms. 

phred

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 12:43:50 PM »
yeah, you could at least get the personnel paperwork done and study the new employee handbook in the meantime

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 01:29:32 PM »
Thanks all.  The written info I found about the bonus is that you must be employed on the day they are paid to receive them.  And that even in the event of voluntary separation by the employee, "in certain circumstances" the company may "required you to leave immediately after informing of intent to resign."  IDK what those circumstances are, but I don't want to take any chances.  2/28 is definitely the day that bonuses are paid.  So at the end of that day, I will give my notice. 

I just negotiated the start date of 3/10.  Well, not negotiated, more like stated and gave my reasons.  I don't think I can go back and change it.  I should have pushed for 3/17 first, and conceded to 3/10 if needed.  Then I could give my 2 weeks notice.

The turnover here has been really bad, I'd say about 1/2 of the separations have been voluntary, the other involuntary.  Of those that were voluntary, about 1/2 gave sufficient notice.  The other half quit... after getting into arguments w/ the boss a week after putting in their 2 weeks notice, a couple just left notes, and one guy walked around the office saying stuff like "bye guys, it's my last day, I'm sick of it here."  And this is the finance department of a large professional organization, not taco bell.

Because of the turnover here, I have 3 supervisor references that I can use, all of which probably dislike the company and like me, so they wouldn't have a problem with vouching for me as an employee.  So I'm not worried about references.  I don't think I would ever want to return to this company.  I would say this is a "toxic" work environment I am in currently, I don't want to come back.  But I will also say that I am truly excited about the new organization.  Like someone said about ER recently, I feel more like I'm walking towards something than away from something.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:43:14 PM by catccc »

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 03:25:01 PM »
Do you have any annual leave owing?

Book the week 10-17th as leave, then give notice on the 3rd.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 07:04:22 PM »
Wait do you have any vacation left? 

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 09:40:02 PM »
Hmm, interesting angle, with using leave.  Well, I know they pay out the prorated unused leave.  IDK what they do with over-used leave.  It's a front loaded plan.

So, I kinds wish I hadn't done this, but at the end of the day, about 4 hours after I agreed to the 10th as a start date, I emailed the new employer asking if it would be possible to push the start date another week.  I was sure to include that I would understand if it wasn't possible.  Now all I can think about is how I should have stuck with the plan...  I don't want to seem wishy-washy to the new employer, but there is also some grounds for the change as I was alerted today to the fact that a process I am a part of is going to be delayed next month, so it truly would be helpful in tying up loose ends if I stayed at my current employer another week.  I almost hope they say no, I would like to leave yesterday.

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 10:38:09 PM »
In Oregon, the common law rule allows the termination of the employee-employer relationship by either party, without notice and without cause.

Although I would typically give two weeks, you have no obligation to, at least in Oregon. I would not want to burn bridges, but it's also a double-standard to expect to have the employer be given all the power to terminate someone without cause, whereas an employee is expected to give two weeks' notice.

I gave a one-minute notice via email to an employer here because of horrible ethics by leadership and have not regretted it to this day. The bridge was gladly blown up.

Good luck.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2014, 06:37:32 AM »
So the new employer wants to stick with the 10th, and I'm relieved about it.  It makes me wonder if I even should have asked.  But I did.  And I guess I can take comfort in the fact that I tried to make it work so I could give 2 weeks notice w/o jeopardizing my bonus.

Like most states, I also work in an employment-at-will state, and I'm not legally obligated to give 2 weeks notice.  The employee handbook says that for voluntary termination, you are supposed to give notice of resignation 2-weeks in advance of your departure date, IDK what happens if you don't.  I guess I will probably find out.

Mortgage Free Mike

• Stubble
    • Save on Almost Everything
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 07:58:54 AM »
I think the policy of having to work somewhere nearly 3 months into the year to receive the prior year's bonus is bogus! Glad you're moving on.
I quit my job January 10th by design to receive my 2013 bonus. It will be paid 2/27.

Numbers Man

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 09:06:42 AM »
I don't know what all the consternation is about giving one week's notice. Employers usually give no notice when they let you go. Just do your job, help with any transitions and explain that one week is all you are able to give at this time.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 09:44:04 AM »
I don't know what all the consternation is about giving one week's notice. Employers usually give no notice when they let you go. Just do your job, help with any transitions and explain that one week is all you are able to give at this time.

Thanks.  This is what my husband says.  I just have to get over the guilt and stop second guessing my choices!