Author Topic: Thoughts on Gordon Food Service (GFS) Stores?  (Read 13277 times)

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
  • Tackling student loan debt/not saving dryer lint.
Thoughts on Gordon Food Service (GFS) Stores?
« on: August 04, 2014, 09:32:54 AM »
I was poking around my neighborhood over the weekend and realized that I'm less than a half mile from a Gordon Food Service (GFS) store.  I was looking for smaller foil pans for some freezer storage but noticed they have a HUGE bulk grocery section.  I saw everything from produce to frozen cookie dough.  The best part seemed to be no need for a warehouse club membership to shop there.

Who uses GFS?  What are some deals they offer that can't be beat?  How does it compare to warehouse shopping?

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
Re: Thoughts on Gordon Food Service (GFS) Stores?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 09:47:21 AM »
I use GFS for some bulk items - lentils, pinto beans, etc. I did a huge comparison spreadsheet between them, Sam's, Costco, Wal-Mart and Publix. Sam's does beat GFS on most items, but only by 5-10%, and you have to pay the $40 membership fee. Therefore, I am estimating a Sam's membership is worth it if you spend around $400 a year or more (This means you have paid for the membership cost in savings). I only spend $100 a year or less, so I stick with GFS.

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 10:24:34 AM »
I'd kill to see that spreadsheet! (Well probably not kill...probably.) I tried to make a comparison sheet of my own but Sams was a royal pain and wouldn't let me in to poke around.  I found the policy so stupid and the employees of the store closest to me to be so rude, I just wrote them off my list. 

This causes a bit of an issue with using warehouse clubs. Costco and BJ's are quite a bit further away.  I could make it to GFS on my bike. :-)

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 10:38:03 AM »
BJ's is on my spreadsheet too. I have it at home and will try to share it tonight. My DH had a Sam's membership a long time ago, so it was easier for him to go back in and look around. Also, you can tell them you are picking up a prescription. They are not allowed to restrict the pharmacy to only members.

labrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Lady Mustachian-in-training!
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 02:57:05 PM »
I buy hardwood lump charcoal, aluminum foil, peanut butter, and baking staples (flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder) from GFS on a regular basis, and bulk produce if we are feeding a large crowd.

I noticed a very low price on whole beef tenderloin last time I was in (about half of what you'd pay at a regular grocery store), so might treat the family at the holidays :)

OSUBearCub

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 04:13:07 PM »
I'm always tempted to buy the aluminum foil but I have a tiny kitchen and those industrial rolls wouldn't fit anywhere lol  I thought it might be pretty bad ass to string the roll from the ceiling on clothesline but I'm single and that's a *really* odd thing to explain to a date lol

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 04:37:46 PM »
For what it's worth, I used to work for GFS. They are a good company, generally seem to try to do the right thing. They actually supply a lot of restaurants in their territory - most of you in the territory have probably eaten their food without knowing it.

I didn't buy a ton of stuff as I was a family of one at the time and their stuff is bulk.

labrat

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Lady Mustachian-in-training!
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 07:01:37 PM »
I'm always tempted to buy the aluminum foil but I have a tiny kitchen and those industrial rolls wouldn't fit anywhere lol  I thought it might be pretty bad ass to string the roll from the ceiling on clothesline but I'm single and that's a *really* odd thing to explain to a date lol

You'd need a heavy duty line to hold up one of those rolls!  Not sure if they have wall-mounted dispensers that fit the large rolls, but you might be able to rig something up like this: http://www.houzz.com/photos/4025585/Stainless-Steel-Kitchen-Foil-Holder-Wrap-Dispenser-modern-kitchen-tools

They also have the foil sheets if I'm not mistaken - not sure what the cost difference is.

apfroggy0408

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 08:10:15 PM »
How do their meat prices fair against Sams? meat is my biggest grocery budget eater!

Sams is the best for what I typically buy

Pork loin - $2.50/lb
Chicken - $1.89/lb