Author Topic: Thoughts on DuPont Shift Schedule (4 week night and day shift rotation)  (Read 11838 times)

whiskeystache89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I'm interviewing for a job that will require me to work in a version of the DuPont Shift Schedule so some amount of overnight. Has anyone worked this type of shift and have any thoughts about it? Also looking for validation about pursuing this job.

More details/facepunch material

Current Job
:/ GIS position with state government: $37,000 year
+ 37.5 hour work week. Flexibility with time off.
+ 457b and 401k available. No match .5% expense ratio. Vanguard large cap.
- 2.5-2.75 hr total commute in vanpool $90-100/month
- 6% withholding of pay, 5% for crappy pension 1% shore up retiree health insurance

Fully funded 457b and Roth IRA last year, contributing $9,000 this year because of anticipated expenses
Get to muck around wetlands and poke sinkholes maybe 4 times a year

New Job
Energy Scheduler: $45,000-49,000 a year
Salaried position
+Two friends currently employed there
+ 15-20 minute commute, bus access but 40ish
*will check on 401k fees, options and match

Other Stuff
GF and I Living with respective parents, long term plans to move in together
27 M. Net Worth ~$75,000
Part-time graduate student Geography. 1/3 of way through course work end of this semester

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Thoughts on DuPont Shift Schedule (4 week night and day shift rotation)
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 01:10:00 PM »
The guys who like the DuPont like the 3 and 4 day "weekends".  The 12 hour day plus 20 min for shift overlap ends up being a long day.  Have you flipped between nights and days before? I don't flip easily so that's why these schedules mess me up. Younger guys/some people aren't bothered by the flip and can make a lot of extra $$ this way.

But, long term if you get your geography degree, would you make more in GIS? how much do you like the GIS stuff?

whiskeystache89

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 01:23:50 PM »
I have not worked overnight before. I had a summer job at a grocery once where I went in at 3am occasionally.

GIS thoughts: I've been in my current job under 2 years. Have interviewed for 3 jobs that would lessen commute/more money without success. I'm probably intermediate experience (awkward place between entry and more advanced positions). Small number of postings in metro area (Louisville, KY).
Ive worked in field last 7 years including internships.

I've been doing graduate work to maybe branch out skill wise. Program is in Applied Geography so quantitative focus on research. Didn't go for GIS program because not necessarily looking to be a better credentialed GIS monkey. Enjoy enrichment and access to student health services.

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
Re: Thoughts on DuPont Shift Schedule (4 week night and day shift rotating
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 05:38:02 PM »
Can you define the DuPont schedule? Do you really only have to flip once every 4 weeks? I did rotating twelve hour shifts for 8 years, had to flip at random, sometimes twice in the same week. Also had 30 min shift overlap. This is common in the healthcare industry.

The most important thing on nights is to try to get eight hours sleep when you are between 2 shifts. It is easier if you do all your nights in a row and not spread out. Don't schedule any activities on work days. Eat breakfast when you get up and dinner when you get home. Stay up late the day before your first night shift and sleep as late as you can in the morning. When you need to transition back to days, sleep only 4 hours the morning after your last night shift, then try to get to bed at the normal time that night. Don't stay and work an extra 4 hours unless you are off the next night.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 06:00:12 PM by MrsWolfeRN »

RunningintoFI

• Stubble
  • Paid to optimize. Love not to.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 09:31:45 PM »
I worked at a manufacturing facility that used this DuPont schedule with 12 hour shifts and rotations between days and nights every 4 weeks.  It is definitely do-able but it will take a toll on your life if you are not an easy sleeper.  Rotating the sleep schedule every 4 weeks can be really hard on a lot of people and you will never be completely healthy if you are someone who depends on a consistent schedule to eat/sleep.

The vacation and time off can be amazing though.  I was able to travel a ton by taking advantage of the 12 hour shift schedule and the days off built into that system.  If the job makes your life better, I would definitely go for it.  Just do your best to keep some consistency in your daily life and eat the healthiest darn diet that you can. So many people completely lose their health when switching days/nights because they depend on energy drinks and sugar to stay awake but you CANNOT do that and expect to come out of this job doing well.  Your metabolism will be shot to hell by the changes in your circadian rhythm so you cannot double down on that by providing unhealthy food. 

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 06:51:27 AM »
I agree that healthy food and exercise are important. Pack a healthy lunch, and bike to work if you can. Drink black coffee or tea early in the shift if you need caffeine, and cut yourself off by 3am. Blackout curtains are also your friends. I used to run up and down the stairs during my lunch break.  I found the night shifts to be much less stressful than days due to the nature of the work itself and the fact that there was more downtime. I also agree that it is not for everyone.