Author Topic: Thoughts on Broomfield, CO  (Read 5440 times)

ladyplenty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Thoughts on Broomfield, CO
« on: August 15, 2015, 02:04:49 PM »
The hubby and I have two young children and well-paying jobs here in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area (north of $200k before taxes). But we're looking at a potential move to Broomfield, CO (his job has an office there, and he liked the area on a business trip.)  We've long talked about living a simpler lifestyle, possibly on one income (of about $100K/year gross), as I am not in a particularly fulfilling career in the financial services industry and have thought I may enjoy being a full-time mom. Does anyone have an opinion about Broomfield specifically (or the Denver area in general) in terms of affordability, safety, livability, etc? We would likely rent to start out. We currently live in a face-punching 3,000 square foot home in a well-manicured suburb but have been wanting to downsize (and would likely have to at Colorado real estate prices.)

spacklebum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Thoughts on Broomfield, CO
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 02:46:29 PM »
Broomfield is nice in most areas and quite safe. It's halfway between Boulder and Denver so there is access to city amenities and the outdoors, but it tends to be a bedroom suburb. House prices are expensive right now, renting is a good strategy. Even though there are tons of bike lanes and a lot of bikers, it doesn't strike me as a bike-safe area. A lot of the infrastructure is built around cars, especially getting around the 36 corridor. Plenty for kids to do in the metro area if not exploring the mountains.

Are you looking for the things Colorado offers in terms of outdoor activities? Can you handle a winter with snow? If not, please don't move here and complain that TX is better. We have enough of those folks here already. :)

ladyplenty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 03:33:56 PM »
I'm a little disappointed to hear it's not as bike-friendly as we hoped - the hubby was seeking to commute by bike, and in general, we'd like to kick the clown-car habit, at least a little. We are hikers/bikers/runners and are definitely interested in being able to take advantage of the outdoors, especially coming from a place with a long, hot summer. I admit to not having to ever deal with snow, although I lived in upstate New York until I was four, so perhaps it "stuck", so to speak. (Speaking of which, I've heard the snow tends not to stick a whole lot?) 

We're looking at taking an exploratory trip out there over Labor Day weekend and would be interested in meeting up with any mushtachians in the area while there. Let me know if anyone hears of a meetup or would just be willing to meet up with the two of us for a beverage.

Lkxe

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 03:56:22 PM »
We live in Broomfield. My spouse works downtown and bikes the trail four miles to the park and ride. It's mostly safe for bikers( there are idiots everywhere) Town is car centric but we bike a mile to one rec center and two the library and other rec center on trails including underpasses and or lights for major roads.  One grocery a mile away on trail second 4 miles on path (we have a lot of wide bike friendly sidewalks at least up north) Broomfield is a snake shaped county so top and bottom and middle are very different. Bedroom community is an apt description but they are committed to 40 percent open space and connecting spaces. Snow lasts a day maybe and I only shovel because I'm from the Midwest where it goes or you don't.  Housing is expensive (it's relative)We bought ours at 315 ( 2600 1900 ish not basement) two years ago The 1420 upstairs next door went 2 weeks ago for 273. There are some really good schools here ( that's how we choose an area- the DOD picks the region) everywhere as pluses and minuses but we get by saving 45% of 130000 with me at home, one at UTD and one at the elem three blocks away. Grocery should be similar we've a sprouts, whole foods and a Kroger version Prices are similar according to the college student. The Trader Joes is all the way in Boulder but it's a nice place to spend a day.  Rentals are tight and high. Crimes low too though everyone get some most occurs in retail areas. Any more questions just ask and I'll get the info from the locals Most of our neighbors have been here since the division was built 20 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

innkeeper77

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 04:02:45 PM »
On biking, we find it pretty friendly. My wife and I both bike to work 7 miles from a cheaper suburb a bit west , we both work in Broomfield. We would like a house in broomfield eventually.. but look into Westminster and the other surrounding towns as well. It's basically the same area, just a different county. You might even be able to find a rental closer to work if you also look at the immediate neighbors.

A local meetup would be great! I assume people close to broomfield would also be included? :)

spacklebum

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 04:05:28 PM »
That's not to say people don't commute by bike; I see plenty of folks out there. I bike to work myself as often as I can. But many of the side roads don't have paved shoulders so I've had close calls occasionally. Consider that elevation change can turn a 3 mile ride into a 20 minute workout (my commute).

The snow is not bad on the front range, speaking as someone who came from the Midwest. The sun tends to melt it away in a day or two. But if it hits during rush hour, it's something to be prepared to drive in. And if you plan on ever driving into the mountains across 70, snow can hit anytime 9+ months of the year.

There are literally hundreds of hiking and biking trails within a 10-30 minute drive, which is pretty awesome. There is also a network of crushed gravel trails in the Broomfield - Westminster - Arvada area. If you're an active person, there are a ton of groups to join, although they are concentrated towards Boulder and Longmont.

Personally, I enjoy the area because it's a bit quieter than Boulder or Denver. But it doesn't have much of a nightlife, except for a few breweries scattered around. I'd suggest one of them for a meetup :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 04:12:44 PM by spacklebum »

ladyplenty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 06:54:08 PM »
So far, you haven't said anything to scare these Texans away - hiking, biking, access to good schools - what's not to like? There's got to be another side to the story, and it sounds like there may be some interest in a meetup. We'll figure out our travel arrangements for Labor Day weekend and then post in the Meetup section of the Forum to see if a solid plan can be formed. We appreciate all the input.

TonyPlush

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 11:57:12 AM »
So far, you haven't said anything to scare these Texans away - hiking, biking, access to good schools - what's not to like? There's got to be another side to the story, and it sounds like there may be some interest in a meetup. We'll figure out our travel arrangements for Labor Day weekend and then post in the Meetup section of the Forum to see if a solid plan can be formed. We appreciate all the input.
Nothing. Honestly speaking, Denver is amazing and Texas fucking sucks. This coming from someone who lived his whole life in Dallas before involuntarily being moved to Denver.

The only negative is housing and rent prices, which have skyrocketed to the point that I can't find a 1 bedroom, 800 square foot condo for any cheaper than $250K close to where I work (these same condos were $200K when I moved here two years ago). Another friend moved here 3 years ago, bought an old $200K house that was just appraised at $275K. My 1 bedroom apartment raised rents from $850 a month to $1,100 a month in two years.

I don't know why everyone doesn't live in Denver. Strictly speaking in terms of weather, activities, beauty, livability, etc. it is the nicest place in the country outside of Southern California. The secret is out though, and home prices are reflecting it. The only negative to both places are the people. California has naive idiots and Denver has dirty stoners.

Some miscellaneous thoughts:
-Weather: It's amazing. Sunny almost every single day, even in the winter. When it snows it's almost always melted and sunny by the afternoon. Denver's 40 degrees feels about 10-20 degrees warmer than Dallas's 40 degrees due to the dry air and high elevation (stronger sun). Summers are ridiculously tame compared to Dallas. 85-95, with zero humidity is about as bad as it gets.
-Traffic: Nothing compared to downtown Dallas but it sucks. They don't have the infrastructure and the city's growth obviously outpaced traffic planning. There's basically only one highway that gets downtown, and the one highway into the mountains is a nightmare during the winter. Driving in the snow can be a mess around the city but at least there is skiing to look forward to.
-Beauty: The mountains are amazing.
-Activities: If you can't find something to do outdoors it's your problem. Obviously there is world class skiing, but Denver has 800 miles of bike trails throughout the city with hundreds of breathtaking day hikes within a 30 minute drive. And unlike Dallas, the weather allows you to actually go outside. Denver is big enough to have all the city attractions you would want (sports, restaurants, etc.)

I'm moving out of the state in 2 months, and I will miss it horribly. I won't miss the rent though.

Tick-Tock

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 08:40:13 PM »

I don't know why everyone doesn't live in Denver. Strictly speaking in terms of weather, activities, beauty, livability, etc. it is the nicest place in the country outside of Southern California.

I'd take it over Southern California too. 

We live right next to Broomfield and like this area quite a bit. 

ladyplenty

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 06:22:07 AM »
After DH and I talked it over more, we decided we likely wouldn't be able to afford the kind of lifestyle we'd want to live in CO. We'll post again down the road if things change...

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 07:43:05 AM »
As someone considering the SF to Colorado move, just remember, housing prices could be much worse :-)