Author Topic: Thoughts and opinions about this $89,900 property please... Link and Photos  (Read 3350 times)

Holyoak

• Bristles
I did look at this home, and got a good general vibe about it.  Very close to the town of Meadville PA, very private considering location with a lot of wooded space (privacy) between neighbors which is very important to me.  Women who lost her husband is the original owner from 1958, and generally the home seemed very tidy, well taken care of and inviting.

Walkout basement was great and seemed dry, nice big 24'x24' garage, nice retaining wall and landscaping, etc... Asking $89,900, which for the area and size/type of home seems lowish.  Low side for me is there is no dishwasher, no disposal, no A/C, it is wood sided, and I saw evidence in the closets of a previous/current roof leak (roof was replaced in 06, maybe it was prior to that?), and maybe the floors seemed to have some slope, but no wall cracks or anything screamingly obvious (I know, it could be an issue).  Kitchen and some baths are dated, but to me in person they seemed kinda charming, but the way the kitchen is laid out, adding a dishwasher seems like a toughie.  I know A/C can be added later since it already has forced air, but it only has 100 amp service.  Frankly, the water stains concern me, as do possible sloped floors and what that *could* mean...

I love the idea of writing a check/suitcase full of $$$ with no mortgage, and finally feeling settled, and starting my new ER adventure with a permanent home base!  Of course buying a home is a huge commitment to be done "right", and I feel fear about potential near catastrophic structural issues that potentially could potentially drain my ER stache (don't be a homeowner, right?).  Also, my minimalistic ways are having a bit of trouble with one guy in 1400 sf, 4 BR, 2 full baths, and a basement that alone could hold over 2x my current stuff.  I have tried to find less space, good privacy, and other things I want, and even then I'm finding nothing but dumps for $60-70,000, and mostly all of those are manufactured/trailers (not knocking MH).  Thank you everyone, and here it is:

http://www.howardhanna.com/property/property.asp?PRM_MlsNumber=98457&PRM_MlsName=MeadvillePA

Added pics to help with determination/see if something raises red flags...

Google map satellite, red x marks the home:

imgurl

Looking from the street:

free screen capture

Looking toward street:

image hosting websites

Various of basement:

image hosting no sign up

screen shot pc

how to screenshot on windows 7

screen capture tool

pic host

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Thoughts and opinions about this $89,900 property please... Link and Photos
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 03:57:51 PM »
You don't mention whether you are having the home professionally inspected.  Please make sure you do.  Don't take a referral from the agent.  They will refer you to an inspector that it "easy".

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 04:14:13 PM »
Yep, sure do intend on an inspection should I go that far, and as you mention NOT from an agent/firm referral...  Made that mistake once. 

When looking at my first home many years ago, I noted pretty good floor deflection near a bathtub, and of course this joker H.I. was "working easy" with the RE agency.  He grunts out "normal deflection", and that was that for the report.  Well, that normal deflection turned out to be a big friggin totally rotted out piece of floor, I fixed myself with many hours in a short, nasty crawl-space.  Thanks.

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 06:11:50 PM »
Well, would you like living in that area, or not? Have you walked around and talked to the neighbors? How close are grocery stores and hiking trails and fun places to hang out with friends?

I mean, the structural/value/etc stuff is the job for a professional inspector and an appraiser. It sounds like you can easily afford the property, so the real question (assuming it passes inspection) is do you want to live there?

-W

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:11:19 PM »
Two questions:
Are you and your family tall people? Those look like sub-seven=foot ceilings.
 - and-
Is the gun included?

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 07:51:05 PM »
I would worry about sloped floors. That is very expensive to fix. What about buying a bit of land and putting a tiny house on it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWGa7qyGO8M&list=UUDsElQQt_gCZ9LgnW-7v-cQ