Author Topic: THIS IS IT. COLLAPSE IS HERE.  (Read 33138 times)

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
Re: THIS IS IT. COLLAPSE IS HERE.
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2016, 02:50:15 PM »

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2016, 02:52:22 PM »

What would you say the new technology was during 2008/2009 market adjustment?

Better head stakes.   

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2016, 03:29:11 PM »

I know of many folks who have canned an "Emergency Can" with a can opener, soap, first aid essentials, etc. in it, then painted the can so it would be distinct from the rest. Once that can gets opened, the rest will be easy.

Here's how its done: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH2NahLjx-Y

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2016, 08:17:45 AM »
Solution: news diet.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2016, 08:45:11 AM »

I know of many folks who have canned an "Emergency Can" with a can opener, soap, first aid essentials, etc. in it, then painted the can so it would be distinct from the rest. Once that can gets opened, the rest will be easy.

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why would you want to put a can opener inside a can?  They aren't particularly fragile or expensive. Why not just have a can opener (or two, or five...) sitting on the shelf with all the cans, ready to go?

Iron Mike Sharpe

• Bristles
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2016, 09:02:45 AM »
Bunkers shmunkers. Every Mormon house has a year's worth of food in it for a bigger family than yours. You should be able to pick them out pretty easy.

Make sure to pick a family smart enough to have bought a wheat grinder.  I once spent a day showing my LDS friends how to grind wheat to make bread. All of them had the wheat- no one though to have a grinder, or any idea what to do with the wheat they all stored.

Wheat grinders won't help you if you are paleo.  You will need to pick off a cattle rancher's family. Or a hog farmer's.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2016, 09:09:44 AM »
Bunkers shmunkers. Every Mormon house has a year's worth of food in it for a bigger family than yours. You should be able to pick them out pretty easy.

Make sure to pick a family smart enough to have bought a wheat grinder.  I once spent a day showing my LDS friends how to grind wheat to make bread. All of them had the wheat- no one though to have a grinder, or any idea what to do with the wheat they all stored.

Wheat grinders won't help you if you are paleo.  You will need to pick off a cattle rancher's family. Or a hog farmer's.
I'm guessing your post might be a bit tongue-in-cheeck, but if civilization collapses and we've kicked into survivalist mode, is anyone really going to insist on sticking to a particular diet?
 "you scrounged up some fresh veggies?  well are they non-GMO and organically grown?"

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2016, 10:23:27 AM »

Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but why would you want to put a can opener inside a can?  They aren't particularly fragile or expensive. Why not just have a can opener (or two, or five...) sitting on the shelf with all the cans, ready to go?

You'll have to ask a survivalist this. I only report the news.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2016, 01:30:10 PM »

Actually, I can answer this one. It's not really about the can opener, it's about having spare tools around.  And while it may sound nuts to put a can opener inside of a can, the low oxygen environment will keep it from rusting, even if the can were to get wet.  And the person in need of a meal, and a can opener to get that meal out of another can, can open the first can with a rock if need be.  That technique tends to make a mess with actual cans of food.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2016, 01:42:28 PM »

Actually, I can answer this one. It's not really about the can opener, it's about having spare tools around.  And while it may sound nuts to put a can opener inside of a can, the low oxygen environment will keep it from rusting, even if the can were to get wet.  And the person in need of a meal, and a can opener to get that meal out of another can, can open the first can with a rock if need be.  That technique tends to make a mess with actual cans of food.
ah, thanks for the explanation MoonShadow.
Ok - follow up question; why use a can for this at all?  I'm thinking that a 3" PVC pipe* with a screw cap (water-tight, crush proof, non-corrosive) would be an easier, cheap and tool-free way of keeping things like a can-opener, first aid kits, knife, etc all immediately accessible without requiring you to break open an actual can.  Plus... cans can rust too, right?

*I thought of the PVC tube simply because that's what we use in the field when we need to leave equipment there exposed to the elements.  Years later everything inside is still protected and dry.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2016, 01:55:17 PM »

ah, thanks for the explanation MoonShadow.
Ok - follow up question; why use a can for this at all?  I'm thinking that a 3" PVC pipe* with a screw cap (water-tight, crush proof, non-corrosive) would be an easier, cheap and tool-free way of keeping things like a can-opener, first aid kits, knife, etc all immediately accessible without requiring you to break open an actual can.  Plus... cans can rust too, right?

*I thought of the PVC tube simply because that's what we use in the field when we need to leave equipment there exposed to the elements.  Years later everything inside is still protected and dry.

Nereo, if they were that logical they wouldn't be doomsday prepping. C'mon, get with the program. The great leader said to can a can opener one week in high priests quorum (or whatever). The faithful put their can openers in cans. Now when the apocalypse comes, all will be well because the inspired priest said so.

Sheesh. We'll never get anyplace with someone questioning things like this.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2016, 02:12:03 PM »

Ok - follow up question; why use a can for this at all?

Because they already have the canning gear, which isn't cheap.

I'm thinking that a 3" PVC pipe* with a screw cap (water-tight, crush proof, non-corrosive) would be an easier, cheap and tool-free way of keeping things like a can-opener, first aid kits, knife, etc all immediately accessible without requiring you to break open an actual can.  Plus... cans can rust too, right?

Some do use PVC pipe.  Some use vacuum sealed plastic bags.  Most people just use what they have available, not the best tool for the task. I have a prepper friend who recently bought a 30 gallon plasic barrel that was sold for the purpose of dry cask storage of tools, and he keeps it in his storm cellar.  I don't know what he has in it, but at $160 for one, I doubt he is keeping something as mundane as a can opener in there.  Dry rice is also commonly used as a desiccant.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2016, 02:18:20 PM »

Nereo, if they were that logical they wouldn't be doomsday prepping.
I could say the same for your hobbies, Prospector.

Besides, I look at it more like an insurance policy that I keep in my basement.  Lets call it "Collapse Indemnity", it's a relatively cheap policy to protect against a relatively remote risk, but since it's a systemic risk I'm hedging against, buying a policy from a 3rd party is ineffective.  I think that it's better than keeping a couple thousand in gold or silver, anyway.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2016, 02:26:14 PM »

Besides, I look at it more like an insurance policy that I keep in my basement.  Lets call it "Collapse Indemnity", it's a relatively cheap policy to protect against a relatively remote risk, but since it's a systemic risk I'm hedging against, buying a policy from a 3rd party is ineffective.  I think that it's better than keeping a couple thousand in gold or silver, anyway.

Chacun à son goût.

Prep away my friend, you do no harm to anyone. And yes, if you followed the saga of Momma's Christmas gift in my journal, I have many logical shortcomings.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 02:53:39 PM by Prospector »

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2016, 02:49:52 PM »

Personally, I've always found myself more inclined toward homesteading and backpacking instincts, but for us at least we feel they overlap and give us some measure of protection against some truly nasty conditions.  We extensively can (actually preserve in mason jars) a lot of food during the summer nad fall not because we're preparing for doomsday but because we really like preserving food.  We buy food in bulk and always have several kg of rice, beans, lentils, etc on hand.  From our backpacking hobbies we also have stoves, fuel, water purifiers and a general sense of how to survive for weeks at a time (make fire, poo in the forest, fish, etc).  Are we prepared for a complete and permenant breakdown of all public services?  I doubt it.  But we certainly would be find for several weeks holed up in our home with no power, running water, etc (for example: a massive ice storm).

I had a friend who started dating a seriously hardcore 'prepper'.  After a certain point, those people just scare me.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2016, 06:04:04 PM »
What is the appropriate time to wait before going cannibal in a shit hits the fan scenario?  You want to make sure that it's not just a local blackout or something, but you also want to be able to stockpile the best looking cuts of meat (and preserve them for jerky and such) before they get too lean. . .

Still unsure about this question guys, but I'll keep my sharpest shankin' knife safely stored in a can for emergencies now!

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2016, 09:29:44 PM »
I've never understood a survivalist mentality (at least one that actively preps for doomsday). I mean, sure you have your basement full of supplies and whatnot, but it's still your fucking basement. If the world is shit, why would you even want to survive at all?

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2016, 10:24:55 PM »
Can't believe I waited so long before reading this thread all the way through. Thanks guys. I'll remember your posts with great fondness when the power grid goes down and I'm huddled in my doomsday shelter on the other side of the world with nothing else to do but wait for my cruel death.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2016, 10:42:03 PM »
I've never understood a survivalist mentality (at least one that actively preps for doomsday). I mean, sure you have your basement full of supplies and whatnot, but it's still your fucking basement. If the world is shit, why would you even want to survive at all?

Oh, if it's Armageddon, I'm pretty certain I wouldn't want to survive.  I probably couldn't anyway, since I'm dependent upon modern drugs that keep me alive.  If we end up in Alas, Babylon, I'm a dead man anyway.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2016, 10:43:01 PM »
Can't believe I waited so long before reading this thread all the way through. Thanks guys. I'll remember your posts with great fondness when the power grid goes down and I'm huddled in my doomsday shelter on the other side of the world with nothing else to do but wait for my cruel death.

If I lived anywhere near your part of the world, my doomsday shelter would have a sail.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2016, 11:25:57 PM »

If I lived anywhere near your part of the world, my doomsday shelter would have a sail.

Who says you can't huddle in a cute little boat, drifting all alone in an ocean of debris left behind by the rest of humanity?

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2016, 01:42:30 AM »

Who says you can't huddle in a cute little boat, drifting all alone in an ocean of debris left behind by the rest of humanity?

Nothing, but if it didn't have a sail or a yuloh, you'd just be sharing their fate when you ran out of gas.

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2016, 02:16:36 AM »

Nothing, but if it didn't have a sail or a yuloh, you'd just be sharing their fate when you ran out of gas.

That's okay. Life is pointless without Internet anyway.

Shor

• Bristles
« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2016, 12:07:46 PM »
What is the appropriate time to wait before going cannibal in a shit hits the fan scenario?  You want to make sure that it's not just a local blackout or something, but you also want to be able to stockpile the best looking cuts of meat (and preserve them for jerky and such) before they get too lean. . .
Still unsure about this question guys, but I'll keep my sharpest shankin' knife safely stored in a can for emergencies now!
This is a pants-on-fire case study if I've ever seen one! I believe you need to start practicing cannibalism Now, and not later!
If you start early on, you can mentally get over the squeamish and morally reprehensible realization of eating another person for meat. Once you get over that initial hurdle, you can begin to snowball your meat stash for emergency rations in the future!

Here's your reading assignment on How to be a Healthy Cannibal. Please read all relevant material, and ignore the silly parts dissuading you from living your dream.

Remember, if you had the willpower to FIRE before the apocalypse, then you have what it takes to "Fight. Ingest. Reproduce. Escape." in the post-apocalyptic world! Good luck GuitarStv!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 10:23:54 AM by Shor »

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2016, 03:25:56 PM »
This is a pants-on-fire case study if I've ever seen one! I believe you need to start practicing cannibalism Now, and not later!
If you start early on, you can mentally get over the squeamish and morally reprehensible realization of eating another person for meat. Once you get over that initial hurdle, you can begin to snowball your meat stash for emergency rations in the future!

Here's your reading assignment on How to be a Health Cannibal. Please read all relevant material, and ignore the silly parts dissuading you from living your dream.

Remember, if you had the willpower to FIRE before the apocalypse, then you have what it takes to "Fight. Ingest. Reproduce. Escape." in the post-apocalyptic world! Good luck GuitarStv!

There is such a thing as over-prepared and I think this may be it.

SaskyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #75 on: January 26, 2016, 06:12:45 PM »

Here's your reading assignment on How to be a Health Cannibal. Please read all relevant material, and ignore the silly parts dissuading you from living your dream.

It's got to have everything the body needs right? Ok, sure it doesn't work exactly like that, but maybe it's the most efficient meat source. Too dark?

All I know is I'm going to be pissed when doomsday happens the day after I retire.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2016, 08:48:23 PM »
I don't think I want to click on that link in case the FBI is monitoring it!...:(

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #77 on: January 27, 2016, 07:35:54 AM »

mustache you a question

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2016, 10:19:38 AM »
The Walmart closing stores thing is stupid.  Walmart is closing because it's no longer economical to have a gigantic store every 1.5 miles or whatever the hell they have, and because of outside pressure from ecommerce (Amazon)...not because the economy is collapsing.

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #79 on: January 27, 2016, 10:21:02 AM »
I recall reading somewhere that human meat is like rabbit meat, where you'll starve to death if that's the only thing you eat.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #80 on: January 27, 2016, 10:37:21 AM »
I dunno where you live, but there are not enough lean humans in my neighbourhood to be concerned about that.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #81 on: January 27, 2016, 10:39:26 AM »
if the link in the first post is believable then FFS don't watch Jim Cramer.

Le Poisson

• CM*MW 2024 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #82 on: January 27, 2016, 10:52:33 AM »
I recall reading somewhere that human meat is like rabbit meat, where you'll starve to death if that's the only thing you eat.

Would it help if the humans were bacon-wrapped? And where would you find bacon post-apocalypse?

Bearded Man

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2016, 11:38:43 AM »
I've been reading these predictions since 2009....

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2016, 11:41:39 AM »
I've been reading these predictions since 2009....

They're going to be right one of these times!

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2016, 03:52:58 PM »

I can affirm that wild rabbit is incredibly lean meat, but so is deer meat.  I typically add pork fat to anything other than deer steak, and sometimes I wrap deer steak medallions in bacon anyway.  If your TEOTWAWKI plan is to eat your neighbors, I think you can find enough fat to manage.  If your neighbors look anything like mine, half of them could live on a vitamin pill & water for a month.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2016, 10:20:58 PM »
Personally, I'm still waiting for the Rapture.

How do you know it hasn't happened yet?

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2016, 12:57:45 AM »

Still too many religious nutters around. ;)

Ah, but how do *they* know it hasn't happened, and they just weren't included?

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2016, 12:58:36 PM »

Still too many religious nutters around. ;)

Don't be silly, Donald Trump and the entire GOP is still here.. EVERYONE knows they represent Jesus Christ here on Earth!

Cough, puke.. hack

Ah, but how do *they* know it hasn't happened, and they just weren't included?

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2016, 01:08:21 PM »
UGH

I am now on the side of the "world ending" people.

Company announced that due to the low oil prices our annual bonus for 2015 will be "somewhat lower".

Now I'd like to know what "somewhat" really means....

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2016, 01:21:24 PM »
UGH

Company announced that due to the low oil prices our annual bonus for 2015 will be "somewhat lower".

Means you pay them!

Gondolin

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2016, 01:46:09 PM »
How do you know it hasn't happened yet

Good point. All 42 righteous people are probably already gone.

At least I'm safe from Quetzalcoatl...

Mermaid3011

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2016, 05:01:22 PM »
UGH

Means you pay them!

LOL actually thats not so far off!
I am buying roughly $200 worth of employee shares (50% top up) every month.
My mantra is "they are on sale right now and will go back up eventually"

cloudsail

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2016, 11:38:07 AM »
UGH

Means you pay them!

I hate to say this but in the case of a single company, this is never guaranteed.

MoonShadow

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2016, 11:56:06 AM »
UGH

Means you pay them!

I hate to say this but in the case of a single company, this is never guaranteed.

Truth.  The employees at Enron were famous for favoring their own company stock.  You should choose a limit to how much of your savings you have invested into the company you work for, I peg mine at 5%.  The advantage is, as an employee, you have some limited insider's perspective (although you still can't see the books to know if the board has been up to no good, as was Enron's case); the disadvantage is that, if your company is subject to an industry slowdown (or a global recession) there is an increased risk that you could get laid off while at the same time your company stock is in decline.  Investing in the same company that writes your paycheck is pretty much the opposite of diversification.

finitelement

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2016, 02:14:14 PM »
As opposed to that time when the global markets collapsed, and I listened to it, in real time, on NPR? It was called 2008. Been there, done that, literally have the T-shirt (I'm sure I did a 5K somewhere that has 2008 on it).
What I remember about things preceding that, was wild optimism about the housing market specifically, and the rest of the economy generally. Also found out the hard way about shitty market timing, as we bought a house in Phoenix in July 2008, thinking it was probably "near the bottom". It had dropped nearly 50% of the top, after all. Whoops.
My thought is, oil being cheap is a symptom, not the cause. The world economy is weak right now. At some point, the cheapness of oil will likely lead to economic growth, since oil is the crude commodity used to make most of the items and services companies sell.

One of the historical lessons I remember is that whenever there is a market adjustment it is the dawn of a new technology. If you can spot that tech emerging as the market fails, you will do very well in the recovery. If you are too busy watching your own hard slide you will not see the new trend emerge until its too late.

Blockchain tech will be it

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2016, 03:32:02 PM »
yes lots of employees at HP had 100% of their 401k's in company stock.... lost 2/3rds of it at least!

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2016, 04:02:14 PM »

Well, I think there's really two different questions here.

1.  At what point is it OK to eat human meat I just find/buy?

There comes a point in any major apocalypse where the availability of freshly dead humans from non-human-hunting incidents starts to become the preferred alternative to yet another night of boiled boots.  I think that point is once I've given up on getting laid.  For those paying attention, the only thing keeping me from eating human right now is availability and what prospective sexual partners will think of me.

2.  At what point is it OK to start hunting humans for meat?

As Captain Reynolds put it, "If somebody tries to kill you, you try to kill them right back."  And then, you know, if you're hungry.  That's just good hunting etiquette (you eat what you kill).

Glenstache

• Magnum Stache
  • FI(lean) working on the "RE"
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2016, 04:31:01 PM »

Probably widely appropriate as soon as this store opens in your neighborhood:

enigmaT120

• Bristles
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2016, 02:23:54 PM »
I guess "You are what you eat." is kind of like "Eat what you are."  I chew my hang nails, but that can't work in the long run.