Author Topic: Thining hair  (Read 26092 times)

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
Thining hair
« on: April 05, 2014, 03:25:39 AM »
So I am not sure what I should do, I am 26 and my hair is noticeably thinning. Baldness is coming and part of me isn't that concerned about it while part of me doesn't want to lose it. My reasons for not wanting to lose it are that once it's gone it is gone unless I go through some very expensive and painful procedures. Another reason is that I am single, it is sad that looks account but we all live in the real world. I fear that I might look terrible without hair. Most the people that I have spoken to that are bald have told me that they miss having hair and that I should do whatever I can to keep it, while I know a few that have shaved their heads and keep it shaved and like having a smooth head.

The reasoning against it are that it's hair not a vital organ and that something like Rogaine is costly and is a straightjacket.

For the time being does anyone have any advice for slowing down my hair loss, especially something that worked for you?

Also does anyone have any advice on whether to keep it or not.

nikki

• Pencil Stache
Re: Thining hair
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 04:11:27 AM »
My only advice is to not worry about it, and definitely don't waste money trying to reverse the inevitable.

--heterosexual female of a similar age

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 04:21:12 AM »
If you are worried about women, I'd say it probably doesn't worry them as much as it worries you. Seriously dude, you want a woman who likes you, not your hair.  I've always thought balding men who keep their hair shaved short kinda sexy, and if its that short the loss doesn't show up.  I think shaved like shiny with a razor short is not so good, but YMMV.

If you are of Anglosaxon stock and go out doors a lot, the biggest issue is skin cancer. Wear a hat.

GetSmart

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 04:54:48 AM »
If you are worried about women, I'd say it probably doesn't worry them as much as it worries you. Seriously dude, you want a woman who likes you, not your hair.  I've always thought balding men who keep their hair shaved short kinda sexy, and if its that short the loss doesn't show up.  I think shaved like shiny with a razor short is not so good, but YMMV.

If you are of Anglosaxon stock and go out doors a lot, the biggest issue is skin cancer. Wear a hat.

Agree with this.  That said, however, there are some who are active on the site MarksDailyApple who claim eating paleo/primal AND not using shampoos or lots of chemicals on your head will keep you from losing it.  It's worth a try - you'll be healthier all around.  Look up 'no poo' and try to eliminate the chemicals in all aspects of your life.

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 06:05:34 AM »
Stress can make it go faster, so work on building your stoic perspective (avoidance doesn't work in the real world, mental resilience does). And part of that includes accepting the things you cannot change, like your genetic predisposition to male pattern baldness. Its going to happen eventually, the question is how fast, and you don't really control that either.

And whatever you do, don't try to hide it! At least not with comb-overs and the like. If it's just a receding hairline and/or bald spot, let it go.

If it's thinning all over, you may want to grow some facial hair. IMHO it's the  combination of a ''youthful'' shaved face with a ''mature'' bald head that makes baldness unattractive; add facial hair, and all is right with world again. And I highly recommend at least trying the shaved head + goatee (or Van Dyke) look. As long as you don't have a weird looking skull it works really well for most guys.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 07:11:06 AM »
Two words for you:  Bruce Willis

Seriously.  Embrace your look, clip your hair neatly short and don't worry about it.  It only looks stupid when people try silly things like hair plugs and comb overs.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 08:12:59 AM »
I met, fell in love with, and married a man with no hair on top.  Really, it's not that big of a deal, it's just hair. 

I second, wear a hat when outside!

golfer44

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 08:48:32 AM »
You could cut it really short to see if you actually do look terrible, and reevaluate from there.

SoCal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 09:09:44 AM »
Horrible advice above.  Keep your hair man.  At least try.  It is NOT that expensive.

Rogaine is $160/year (with Drugstore.com/Walgreens.com coupons and cashback portals)
Propecia is $60/year (via CanadaPharmacy.com for 168 tabs of 5mg Finasteride - Propecia is 1mg/day of Finasteride)

For $220/year, you get a good chance to maintain your current hair.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 09:11:55 AM »
You could cut it really short to see if you actually do look terrible, and reevaluate from there.
I think this is the best thing to do.  If you decide you look bad bald, then try something else.

CarDude

• Pencil Stache
  • Beep Beep!
    • The CCD
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 09:18:27 AM »
Embrace it brother. It happens to almost all of us eventually. And enjoy the non-creaky joints while you can.

Left Bank

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 09:18:51 AM »
If there was going to be a contrarian point from all the other above replies it would be from Southern California...

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 10:06:29 AM »
Generic Propecia (finasteride) is cheap and generally works, though I think best results are after consistent use of 1-2 years. With 5mg tablets of Finasteride you can cut each one in quarters and they last a long time. As far as something actually proven to slow hair loss that or Rogaine are pretty much your options.

Cut your hair short and prepare to embrace baldness, too, cause it will still happen eventually :)

Coming from a woman whose husband is going through this, though, keeping yourself in shape and with the right hair cut (stay away from combovers!) it really isn't the end of the world.

(Then again, they say they are five years out from a cure for baldness so maybe all hope is not lost!)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 10:11:12 AM by zinnie »

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 10:12:02 AM »
Bruce Willis, Jason Statham, Sam L. Jackson, Jude Law, Sean Connery, Prince William, Sir Patrick Stewart... those are just off the top of my head (see what I did there?) of famous and attractive actors that are either shaved bald or shorn short. I don't think anyone would call them less attractive.   

My husband started going bald probably in his early 20s. He has the typical pattern - thin/sparse at the front with a receding hairline, bald spot at the back, with thicker hair around the back and sides. He keeps it cut short (about a half an inch-inch long) and I think he looks wonderful.

Also have a really good friend that shaves his head bald because he started thinning in his early 20s. I've never seen him with hair, but he's really attractive. He has a girlfriend that he met and moved in in the last couple of years, but he also dated extensively before he met her; never had a problem attracting girls because he lacked hair. I imagine he'd look fine with hair, but he's very striking without it, and there is something kind of bold and daring about a young guy that shaves his head - no matter what the reason behind the decision was.

If you're in your 20s and thinning, it is most likely genetic. You could check with your doctor to make sure you don't have any vitamin or hormone deficiencies (and get your thyroid checked), but otherwise it is kind of inevitable that it will happen.

You don't have to shave it down to shiny bald, just keep it cut short (think military cuts) and work on your confidence levels. You are not going to lose out on any women that you'd actually be interested in. Just remember, if they only loved you for your hair, then they're pretty damned superficial and would leave you if you aged or had any other appearance changes that weren't up to their idea of "attractive."

There are plenty of women that are attracted to men with no/short hair. There are plenty of sexy bald/shorn-short guys out there. Be one of them.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 03:51:46 PM by Frankies Girl »

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 03:38:58 PM »
I have a friend that saved his hair by using rogaine & has been doing this for years. Do what ever feels most comfortable for you. Most women do not mind bald men but you need to do what will make you happy.

phred

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2014, 05:18:54 PM »
Only thing that has been proven is to cut all sugar & other sweeteners from your diet.  What is already gone won't grow back, but little more will leave

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 06:29:27 PM »
Any girl who isn't interested because your hair is thinning, was never going to be worth your time anyway.

Melody

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 06:39:35 PM »
Shave it off and make it work for you as a fashion statement. One of my best friends has been doing this since 25 (when he was too bald not too) and he always looks good because he has great fashion sense and it all works :)
And as another posted stated it doesn't have to be a shiny bald head, just a number one or two done at home with clippers is fine. I've dated four people in my life and three of them rocked the super short or shaved hair look ;-) so it's not a turn off though I think it calls for "edgier" fashion sense (bald head and pink shirt probably won't cut it, you'll need to wear darker colors and more masculine styles).

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 09:02:32 PM »
I recently heard that food grade diatomaceous earth reverses hair loss.  No personal experience.

zolotiyeruki

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2014, 09:59:58 PM »
I started losing mine a few years *after* marriage.  My opinion?  Embrace it.  I took the plunge about three years ago, while I was on a business trip, and surprised my wife when I got back.  She wasn't happy :P  but she got used to it pretty quick.  I did a #2 at first, and then later dropped to a #1.  (I'd drop to no guard at all, but my wife won't let me....yet)

I love the short haircut.  My kids (and wife) love to rub my head, it's SUPER low-maintenance, and you'll spend less time in the shower and bathroom.  In fact, I realized several months later that I never look in the mirror any more.  No bed head, no greasy hair, no hair products (except for a drop of shampoo when I shower).

Shann106

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2014, 06:27:53 PM »
I only have one thing to add-bald men are extremely sexy, most of my friends agree

Freedom2016

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2014, 06:35:44 PM »
My hubby was balding when we met and although in the abstract I imagined I wouldn't be attracted to a bald/balding man, it has never once been a consideration -- i.e. I never look at him and think.... aw, man, too bad about that hair loss. I married the man, not his head of hair.

He decided to shave his head completely bald about 3 weeks ago and it looks great. More importantly, he feels more confident.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2014, 08:16:25 PM »

Big Boots Buddha

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 04:17:23 AM »
Im 32 and bald. Let's cut right to the chase. Its gone. Weep if you need to, but its done. You just went down at least half a point on the beauty scale, bad DNA is bad DNA.

On the bright side: half a point isnt much. Exercise, become a better person, be confident, shave your head once a week, absolutely dont try to hide that you are balding because everyone can see through it, buy a few nice hats to wear on occasion and move forward.

I've gone to social events and at 5'11", 165lbs and bald, still managed to catch the eye of pleasant, pretty girls. You just have to get over it, however that works for you.

Osprey

• Stubble
    • Osprey's Lab
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 05:45:33 AM »
So my partner shaves all his hair off (what's left of it!) but also sprays a concoction on it every day. Not sure what the logic is! Some things you may want to consider when deciding whether to embrace or fight the inevitable:
1. Hair colour and texture - baldness shows up easier on thin, straight, dark hair
2. Bone structure - what do jason statham and bruce willis have in common, apart from no hair? Prominent jawlines.
3. Ability to grow a beard - you can fake a prominent jawline with a beard but be careful that it's not patchy/thin
4. General grooming and fitness - luckily this is something you can control, and probably makes more impact than whether or not you have hair

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2014, 05:51:13 AM »
Buzz cut. It looks better on most guys anyways.

MissStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 06:11:58 AM »
I am TOTALLY attracted to bald guys.  Always have been.  Lean in and shave your head!

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2014, 06:06:54 PM »
@OP -- Do whatever makes you feel best. There's no shame in trying to keep your hair if that's what you want to do. Rogaine and Propecia are inexpensive, and they work for lots of guys. Or you can embrace it, and find that it likely doesn't matter to your overall attractiveness.

To stir up some controversy, I get a good laugh when people bring up celebrities that are heralded as handsome even though they are bald. They are celebrities because they are handsome, with hair or without. I mean, look at their faces! Of course they're handsome even without hair. It's like saying, "A little extra weight shouldn't matter, Angelina Jolie would still look great even 20 pounds heavier." Of course she would, she's hot. Average Joes don't necessarily have the luxury of being as handsome even though they're bald. For some, baldness just doesn't look as good.

And the other amusing thing is that many/most of these celebrities that are named have done various things to avoid or hide their baldness over the years. Bruce Willis as just one example fought the good fight for a long time (wearing hair pieces and such), and eventually succumbed. And for every bald/balding celebrity that has embraced their baldness (or eventually succumbed to it), there are another 10 that are hiding it. Some we know about, some we don't because they've done it so effectively. Kevin Costner, John Travolta, William Shatner, Enrique Eglisias, and thousands more to add to the list that are still trying to hide it!

http://www.baldingblog.com/2011/02/24/john-travoltas-real-hairline-finally-revealed/

Sammie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2014, 06:13:53 PM »
You have to compensate for that. Work on your six-pack. :P

mjs111

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2014, 06:34:49 PM »
This type of thing affects everyone differently. If it really bothers you make an appointment with your doctor and discuss the plusses and minuses of Propecia.  As another poster stated, the generic version is not very expensive and it is effective. 

Bald can look great, full head of hair can look great.  Only you know how much this is eating at you.

Mike

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2014, 08:10:25 PM »
My friend's bf did some sort of hair implant thing (hair from the back was implanted in the top/front). Apparently it really worked.

However, if you go bald now and take good care of yourself, when you're old you'll look just as good as you did when you were young! For the men that have hair until they get old, the contrast will be more significant.

As a woman, I can tell you - many of us care less about a dude's hair and more about his personality, intelligence, and financial stability. Work on those things. Fewer downsides if you concentrate your efforts there :)

SoCal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2014, 10:18:16 AM »
the next post will be from some chick saying she likes a small penis and hairy balls

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2014, 11:08:58 AM »
the next post will be from some chick saying she likes a small penis and hairy balls

HA!

good one.

I think that some people are more fixated on appearance than others.

zarfus

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2014, 11:10:27 AM »
I've been shaving my head since 16.  I can't wait until I go bald so that I can stop shaving my damn head :)

Embrace it man.  My brother just started shaving his head too...he's wondering why I never talked him into it sooner.  (uh..because I don't care about your hair, dude?)

tmac

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2014, 11:31:17 AM »
I couldn't care less about the state of someone's follicles, but if my white-haired husband ever opts for the Rogaine route, I hope he won't tell me. I can and do find plenty of bald men attractive, but --and this is just me -- I don't find men who worry about that stuff attractive. I just don't want to know. Give me a self-confident bald guy every time.

The tmac "Spectrum of Hair-Based Attractiveness" goes like this, starting with the worst:

Toupee
Plugs
Comb-over
Rogaine or other extreme measures
Just going with it and finding the best haircut for your face and head  <--Winner!

My (bald from his early 20s) ex-husband was very primpy. He took twice as long as I did to get ready to go anywhere. He spent a ton on face lotions, hair treatments, and clothes. And, yes, there was Rogaine. I didn't divorce him over that, obviously, but it was one of many things I didn't really understand or like about him.

prodarwin

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2014, 11:40:02 AM »
Embrace it and shave it.

I started shaving it with a #2 guard when I was around 24 or 25.  I slowly worked my way down to a # 1/2 guard by the time I was 29.  Now I'm 30 and I use a disposable razor.  The only bad part about shaving it with a razor is you have to do it much more often.

Oh, and sunscreen becomes a lot more important.

jp

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2014, 11:58:57 AM »
The obvious answer is to invest in a high quality wig. 

j/k.  Sack up buddy.  No one cares but you.

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2014, 08:18:29 AM »
Baldness is sexy because it is testosterone operating there. Only men have hair loss, women do not (unless it is a health problem.)

I heard an interview with Bryan Cranston of Breaking Bad fame. He talked about the physical make up of his character, Walter White. He and the producers discussed how Walter would transform from mild mannered classroom teacher to macho, take no prisoners drug lord. The physical manifestation of Walter's bad-assness was in complete baldness and a mustache. That was the most macho persona they could devise.

On a final note, there is no one sexier than Bruce Willis or Sean Connery at his prime.

MgoSam

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2014, 08:29:12 AM »
I just got a haircut after letting my hair grow out for a few months. At the same time I have grown a goatee and I must say that I look fairly good. This is a look that could work when I do go bald. My next focus is on dropping weight and getting into decent shape.

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2014, 09:15:46 AM »
I'm on the side of shave it off. There are plenty of hot guys with the shaved head look. Clinging to that last bit just draws more attention to it, IMO, and it also says to me, "I'm in denial and clinging to this". Also I find shaved heads to be pretty masculine looking.

vespito

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2014, 09:18:44 AM »
Embrace it.  I with I had buzz cut my hair before our wedding.  Trust me, there is nothing you can do to hide going bald.  And no need to either.  Seriously, right after I buzz cut my head, I felt so much better about myself.  Also, very mustachian - I cut my own hair once a week.  Oh, and almost every female I am friends with says I look a lot better with super short hair (and they don't lie to spare my feelings).

My one 'regret' is I didn't do it earlier.  I hate looking at our wedding photos.  I look like a shmuck with a horrible haircut.

Remember, if you don't like it, it will always grow back in.  Sort of.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2014, 09:37:47 AM »
CheapskateHusband also has a "solar panel for his love machine" :)  Sexiest man alive in my opinion, and that was when I met him.  The halo has only gotten thinner over time, and you know what, it just doesn't matter.

I cut his hair with a number 4 on top, no guard on the sides and a nice fade...and he compensates for no hair with a great body and fabulous sense of humor.  Again, he is the sexiest man alive...I second the vote for focussing on what you have and work on some washboard abs ;-)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 09:39:58 AM by CheapskateWife »

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2014, 09:54:44 AM »
I'm older than you, but I say don't think about it twice.  I know plenty of non-celebrity men who are bald (either by choice or by nature), and they're handsome. 

Phil_Moore

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2014, 10:30:20 AM »
Another vote for just shave it.

I'm not balding but I still mostly go with the shaved head and tash/beard (as shown over yonder <-). I could say it was to be macho or as a "solar panel for my love machine" (which I am saving for later use) but the reality is it is just fecking convenient.  Who wants to have to think about hairstyles and have to own combs and gel and whatnot? Later for that.

kite

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2014, 04:39:09 PM »
Baldness is sexy because it is testosterone operating there. Only men have hair loss, women do not (unless it is a health problem.)

I heard an interview with Bryan Cranston of Breaking Bad fame. He talked about the physical make up of his character, Walter White. He and the producers discussed how Walter would transform from mild mannered classroom teacher to macho, take no prisoners drug lord. The physical manifestation of Walter's bad-assness was in complete baldness and a mustache. That was the most macho persona they could devise.

On a final note, there is no one sexier than Bruce Willis or Sean Connery at his prime.

This.
  Embrace the gift you've been given.   It's not just all those celeb's who look good bald, all the baseball players do, too. 

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2014, 05:22:19 PM »
Whatever you do, don't try to cover it up by growing your hair longer, as in a young man's combover. I know a couple guys who think they're pulling this look off, but they are not. Best bet is to keep it short and not worry about it. Most guys let their hair grow too long between haircuts (in my opinion). I like dating guys with thinning hair because they are usually good at keeping their hair short so the thinning effect isn't amplified. It's a weird preference.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2014, 09:46:27 PM »
I wholeheartedly agree with all of the suggestions to cut it short and forget it. I'm a woman and I wish I could do that - how easy! I think it makes much more sense to embrace what you have and work with it, rather than trying to make something work that isn't going to happen. It shows confidence. I don't find baldness unattractive in the least.

SDREMNGR

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2014, 10:20:43 PM »
I have two numbers for you.  2 and 1. 

2 is the clipper setting for top of your head.  1 is for the sides and back.

Problem solved. 

Seriously,  I had some hair loss issues that really bothered me for a while and I tried everything for a while, rogaine, painting it (looks pretty good although messy), steroid creme, etc.  Then one day I said F it, and buzzed it off.  My wife thinks I look sexier with short hair.  Chick's dig confidence and that has nothing to do with hair.

The funny part is, the hair is starting to grow back on its own.  I guess not stressing was the trick.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 10:26:15 PM by SDREMNGR »

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2014, 05:57:16 AM »

Problem solved. 
I cut my husband's hair the opposite, #1 clipper setting on the top, #2 on the sides and back.  Usually.  This week he actually opted for #1 all over for a short summer cut I suppose.

Mrs. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2014, 11:27:53 AM »

Yes! Buzz it with the #2! Make sure to use the "ear guard" attachment around the ears--ask my husband how I know this...

It's worse to try and hang on to a few forlorn strands. Don't waste money on chemicals and don't fret--I love my husband's buzz cut and it's dirt cheap to maintain (I buzz it for him). I think a buzz looks cleaner and sleeker all around. And any girl who doesn't like your true head shape is not worthy :)