Author Topic: Things that pay for themselves?  (Read 23065 times)

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
Re: Things that pay for themselves?
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2014, 05:05:52 AM »
To cook a meal in the stove for one hour = 2kwh = 60 cents
To cook the same meal in the crockpot for three hours = 0.6kwh = 18 cents
This applies if you have an electric stove. At least in the UK, cost/kWh for electricity is typically ~3 times the cost/kWh for gas, so it's a wash. Still makes sense from an environmental perspective, of course.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2014, 07:52:53 AM »
There are ways to refill your own sodastream tank or hook the sodastream to a larger tank.. might be easier than starting from scratch, but I guess some people like building stuff like that.  The air is costing me about $5 a month so I'm OK with paying for it.

Another trick is to get refill canisters at Bed Bath & Beyond.  They are typically very lax in this coupon policies, so I've stacked $5 off with 20% off coupons many times.  At a regular price of $13 per refill canister, that's down $8.22 with coupons applied (just make sure it's in the right order. 9)

As a comparison, my 20lbs of CO2 costs me about $20 to refill.  It lasts well over a year -- making at least a quart of bubbly water a day. 

theSchmett

• Stubble
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2014, 08:05:08 AM »
RobertBirnie: I rarely, if ever, put my jeans through the dryer. I find that the slight shrinkage they get from a warm wash loosens up in about 10 minutes of wearing.

My jeans last a long time too, but I tend to be tough on them and tear/wear holes pretty fast.

These are J Crew jeans (bought at the outlet no face punches!) and I've found they are quite durable.

theSchmett

• Stubble
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2014, 08:06:54 AM »
And I suppose I should add: drying rack. We aren't set up for a clothesline, and I air dry too much to use hangers around the house, although that's where all my buttondowns wind up.

Badass by 41

• Stubble
    • Journal
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2014, 11:28:01 AM »
There are ways to refill your own sodastream tank or hook the sodastream to a larger tank.. might be easier than starting from scratch, but I guess some people like building stuff like that.  The air is costing me about $5 a month so I'm OK with paying for it.

Another trick is to get refill canisters at Bed Bath & Beyond.  They are typically very lax in this coupon policies, so I've stacked $5 off with 20% off coupons many times.  At a regular price of $13 per refill canister, that's down $8.22 with coupons applied (just make sure it's in the right order. 9)

As a comparison, my 20lbs of CO2 costs me about $20 to refill.  It lasts well over a year -- making at least a quart of bubbly water a day.

Where do you get your canister and how do you attach it to the Soda Stream?

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2014, 12:47:24 PM »

Where do you get your canister and how do you attach it to the Soda Stream?

A bit of an upfront cost for the plumbing: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/the-bubbles-they-burn-my-throat/msg100090/

If you knew how to mill the adapter (I don't) it could probably be done super cheap.

greenmimama

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2014, 03:11:52 PM »
My new Wonderbag http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/wonderbag-electricity-free-slow-cooker.html

I'm not sure the price or the pay off, I got it for a birthday present, but it will eventually pay itself off, it saves electricity and gas, and doesn't heat up your kitchen in the summer, so you can save on some AC, plus it's totally portable so it might make a few meals on the go doable and therefore saves you money, I love the concept, I have my first batch of rice in it right now, I hope it works as good as it claims, because I'm pretty excited about it :)

abhe8

• Bristles
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2014, 05:01:47 PM »
I want one! but amazon says they are unavaliable. do you know where I can buy one? what size pot fits in it best?