Author Topic: The Way Forward/Career changes  (Read 1591 times)

ian89T

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
The Way Forward/Career changes
« on: June 07, 2018, 09:15:33 PM »
Good afternoon, I am trying to figure a solid way forward for the future. Long story short I am in the throws of a career transition. I recently exited the service and am now making a 90 degree pivot to a different career field and need to get back on top.

A little background on me...

My name is Ian, I am 28 years old, live in Honolulu, Hawaii, and I am working to earn my instrument and commercial pilot's license.

I spent nine years in the Marine Corps running and working in a Calibration Laboratory living a relatively frugal lifestyle socking away cash, and then I received orders to be a recruiter and I promptly denied them which turned my life upside down. To add to the friction, I ended up separating and then divorcing my wife of 6 years. So after doing a lot of reflection figuring out what I wanted from life, I decided to get into aviation about four months before exiting the service. Figured I would no longer work a job a only semi enjoyed and desired a work environment that was a bit more stimulating than an air conditioned shoe box. I ended up taking flight lessons as soon as I made up my mind. I started living off of savings and the cash I stashed upon exiting last July. 

Not long after exiting the service I ended up moving in with my girlfriend in a more modest home where we split the rent and utilities. Eventually, while going through my flight training for my private pilots license having lots of hang ups with aircraft and instructor availability I decided to take the plunge and buy myself my very own Cessna 172. I bought the plane to cut my training costs, learn more about aviation, and eventually lease her back to a flight school to generate some cash flow.

Everything has been working well so far, my operating costs have been super cheap, especially running ethanol free auto gas instead of 100LL. I have been able to invite other pilots to fly with me in order to split both time and costs with them to further save on money. Currently I am about 130 hours and mid way to earning my instrument rating, and will be pursuing my commercial and CFI rating shortly there after.

Also, in my state of flux I have enrolled myself into Honolulu's Community College to go to school on the GI bill, where I will be working towards an associates degree in liberal arts and continue to push towards a four year degree. The GI bill will provide me some income while I go to school and continue my aviation training and career.

Finally, I have found work with a fellow Marine down at the airport working on small aircraft and building hours towards potentially earning my Airframe and Powerplant Mechanics certification. The pay is not the best, but the work and the education I am receiving is second to none.

So... As far as numbers go I have about $7,000 on hand to cover living expenses, an aircraft that is held under a sole-proprieter LLC (in which the LLC could be turned into a business), will be attending college this fall, and am trying to find a way forward.

My short term goals are to earn my instrument, commercial, and CFI rating, complete my associates degree, propose to my girlfriend, and have a great time enjoying the aviation community here in Hawaii.

Long term I will earn my four year degree, work to own a handful of rental properties, be able to earn copious amount of money as a pilot, and grow a luxurious stach again. 

Sorry for the blog post, I feel like I am on a good trajectory, but just want some advice or input on my plans. Have any of you been through a similar situation? How did you handle the changes?

2Cent

• Pencil Stache
Re: The Way Forward/Career changes
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 03:04:18 AM »
You're 28. If you want to have kids, it would be good to take that into account in your plans as that will be a large change. Otherwise seems like you know what you want. As you are doing a lot of things at the same time I would advice to regularly take some time to reflect on all these things and see if you are spending your time and energy correctly and if you are still moving toward the long term goal. It is very easy to get sidetracked or overload in your situation. You could even start a journal to force yourself to keep track of what you are doing.

ian89T

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: The Way Forward/Career changes
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 11:25:10 AM »
Thanks, I appreciate the feedback. We have spoke about kids and I understand kids can be expensive and I would want to spend a lot of time with them.

I like the idea of journaling to keep my head on straight and moving in the right direction. It is interesting being outside of the structure of the military and seeing just how many rabbit holes there to lead you astray in the civilian world.