Author Topic: the ultimate tech system for me??  (Read 2360 times)

scrubbyfish

the ultimate tech system for me??
« on: August 31, 2016, 11:32:13 AM »
Here goes...

I know pretty much nothing about electronics/tech.
I'm really good at using my laptop, the end.

The ideal:
this laptop
a cell phone
wireless noise-cancelling ear things (covers or buds)
a phone microphone so I can chat without anyone having to talk loud
external speaker

Where I live, phone reception and internet are available only in very specific pockets of air. This determines where equipment can be.

I'm trying to coordinate this to get the most use of the least equipment.

HAVE
  • Current laptop (six years old?) is beloved, but has no Bluetooth whatever, thus does not connect with speaker.
  • Current phone (five years old?) sucks for reception, storage, etc. e.g., Cannot use for talking in most of my village, cannot add any Apps to it.
  • Current speaker is truly lovely. Phone won't charge in it like it's supposed to, relies on Bluetooth which computer doesn't have, and the connecting wire it came with is short and opposite-side, so speaker often has to face away from listeners.
GETTING
  • Noise-cancellation ear things. I would be using these for active noise-cancellation as well as, sometimes, for sound (music, phone, etc). Would love wireless, for walking around in the world, but the best ones I've found rely on Bluetooth.
  • Maybe replacement phone.
Ideas of how to align everything for maximum use with least equipment? I don't mind spending "more" for more ease.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: the ultimate tech system for me??
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 07:36:39 PM »
I don't understand what you're wanting to do, so I have no reason to recommend one product over another.  This may account for the lack of replies.

More about what you're trying to accomplish may help.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

scrubbyfish

Re: the ultimate tech system for me??
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 09:12:14 PM »
Thanks very much, ARS and lhamo!

ARS, I can understand the "huh?" It's hard for me to describe without cartoons and hand gestures, and I see people doing things and I don't know how they're doing it, so I can imagine how my communication is confusing to anyone reading, yes. (Did I just make it worse?)

lhamo, yeah. I'm reluctant to give up a perfectly good machine (with wide screen for spreadsheets!). But yeah, you've got the idea. Upgrading laptop and phone to ones with Bluetooth (and phone space) would resolve some big chunks.

And, I'm looking at these spendypants earbuds per my sound-allergy vs my son's new school deal: https://www.amazon.ca/Bose-QuietComfort-Acoustic-Cancelling-Headphones/dp/B00X9KVVQK/   But then I'm supposed to know if I'm sticking with Android or going iStuff, be Bluetoothed if I want the wireless equivalent, etc.

Like, a person needs to know their ultimate system before buying any one item, because each pieces decides if you can make full use of the next! Ack!

I can use $1600 of the school funding for ANYTHING! I was going to invest most of it, but yes, tech is an option too.