Author Topic: The Real Cost of Owning a Pet  (Read 20513 times)

AlmstRtrd

• Stubble
The Real Cost of Owning a Pet
« on: May 10, 2014, 01:32:00 PM »
Apologies in advance if this has been covered in other threads...

I frequently see dollar figures that attempt to quantify the cost of raising a child but have never seen a similar number for say a dog or a cat. One would have to consider food, vet charges, damage to furniture, floors, etc. Building a fence around a yard is another one... I guess antihistamines and other allergy meds if one is allergic (I've heard this all too often). Folks rush home to take care of pets so maybe lost productivity at work. Not trying to get animal owners riled up but it just seems to me that pets can be really expensive.

I really got to thinking about this earlier today when I overheard a woman talking/joking about how she didn't want have to choose between her two children and her two dogs, so she and her husband were going out today to "pick out a bigger car." Yikes!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
Re: The Real Cost of Owning a Pet
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 01:41:13 PM »
it depends quite a bit.  You could take your dog to the vet for regular check ups, teeth cleanings, special allergy tests, special food, and spare no expense (big bucks) or just feed the dog kibble and let nature run its course (couple hundred a year).  The amount spent depends a lot on how you look after the animal.

FWIW, in our house we probably spend somewhere in the range of 1-2 grand a year on our dog between food, vet bills, flea/tick stuff, etc.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 01:53:59 PM »
I spend about $300-$500/year on my cat, and he seems to be doing fine (10 years old). I buy higher quality dry food recommended by his vet, and sometimes canned food. He goes to the vet when he needs shots or has something wrong with him, and they give him a checkup when he's there. A neighbour feeds him when we're out of town - he seems to be fine on his own, so we don't put him in boarding anymore.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 01:59:55 PM »
And just like with kids (so I hear), there are benefits to having pets. 

dcheesi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 02:12:30 PM »
About $8 a week for two indoor cats (food and litter). Last vet visit was about $200 because of an ingrown claw, but that includes the annual stuff as well.

The big money comes later when they start to have bigger health problems. That's when you have to make the hard decisions about how far you're willing to go...

lazysundays

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 03:02:21 PM »
Too many intangibles, but if you want to turn them to tangibles, then cost savings in various Heath benefits .  Lowered blood pressure, lowered depression, overall increased health from 30 min daily walk that wouldn't happen withou the dog.  The benefits outweigh the costs.

Mr. Frugalwoods

• Bristles
    • Frugalwoods
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 03:18:57 PM »
Like others have said, depends on the person.  It also depends on the size of the pet.  A 200 lb mastiff is going to cost you significantly more in food than a schnauzer.

Here's what we regularly pay for our rescued, retired racing greyhound (58 lbs):
  • Food: $50/month.  We feed her grain free kibble which is more expensive but supposedly better for her.  More importantly it doesn't give her gas.
  • Toothpaste: $5/year.  Train your pet to allow you to brush their teeth.  It's the single biggest money saving thing you can do for your animal.  If you don't, you'll be paying for professional cleanings and extractions late in life.
  • Toys: $10/year.  She's not hugely into toys, so they last a long time.  She has also claimed one of our kitchen towels as hers...
  • Vet checkup: $50/year.  Who knows if this is worth it, but I think it's also a chance to ask our yearly list of questions to the vet.
  • Heartworm pills: $50/6 months.  Preventative measure that's worth it
  • Frontline flea and tick: $80/year.  We don't give it to her in the winter, so that helps.
What don't we spend money on?
  • A dog walker or doggie daycare.  We picked a breed that has no problem staying home during the day while we're at work.  We've kept a webcam on her and she sleeps the entire 8 hours.
  • Boarding at a kennel.  We swap dog-sitting with friends and other greyhound rescue folks.  Finding a good community with your pet is important for this.
  • Grooming.  We trim her nails monthly (using a dremel and sanding drum).  We give her a bath every 6 months.  And greyhounds don't need haircuts.
  • Outfits.  Let's just say her grandparents keep her well outfitted without us even asking... :-)
She's definitely a luxury, but she's really darned hilarious.

Sonorous Epithet

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 04:02:50 PM »
Like others have said, depends on the person.  It also depends on the size of the pet.  A 200 lb mastiff is going to cost you significantly more in food than a schnauzer.

I've had a 160 lb mastiff before and he ate probably the same amount as a medium sized dog, because he was so sedentary. Mastiffs are big slobbery low-energy cuddle buddies.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 06:55:54 PM »

I've had a 160 lb mastiff before and he ate probably the same amount as a medium sized dog, because he was so sedentary. Mastiffs are big slobbery low-energy cuddle buddies.

Second this. Our Great Danes are not quite mastiff-sized, but they're 150 and ~180 pounds, and they do some running in short spurts, but they spend most of their time lounging on the porch. Food for both runs us $80 a month.

oldladystache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 08:50:25 PM »
It's really a matter of luck. I adopted 2 labs about 10 years ago. One of them wound up costing about $150 a month in regular vet bills, as well as the normal food and shots and checkups. Plus he had 2 emergency vet visits that ran into the thousands. Averaged over the 8 years I had him he was awfully expensive, but worth it to me.

The other one is still with me, and all she costs is her food and shots.

You just never know.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 09:30:51 PM »
It does add up over time.  We have two medium-large dogs (55 and 80 pounds).  Vet bills really haven't been bad.  Aside from when I found the first dog in my front yard with a broken leg, they've just needed routine shots, and now licences at $38 per year (thought they weren't required outside city limits, but recently found out differently).  They got all shots and checkup for the first time in a few years and it was around $430 for both.  The older one could have some random lumps removed for $800, but I'm not sure that it's worth it, since she'll be 12 this year.  They do great on CostCo food for $30 per month or so.

There are lots of other random costs though - I have to fence out my berry beds because one of the dogs chews the twigs off, killing the plants, not to mention eating the berries.  The other one ended up needing a $100 bark collar, and we had to install a dog door in the sliding glass door, which would have been $150, but the previous home owners just happened to leave one of those in the shop.  I'm sure our couches are wearing out faster with the dogs jumping on them.  I have a Dremel tool just for grinding the bigger dog's nails.

They are worth it though, and both were mutts in desperate need of a home, and I feel good about having them around.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 09:37:16 PM »
It's like I was telling my students the other day, you can't put a price on love, but dog food gets fucking expensive.

samburger

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 07:31:43 AM »
I'm on the eve of adopting an adult dog. Rescue. We have $800 (yes) set aside for initial costs: adoption fee (~$350 from a foster home), food and treats, leash/collar, crate, bed, baby gate to give the cat a safe place, initial vet visit, and toys.

Excited as I am to have a dog in my life again, I really am dreading the cost. Pets are a huge financial gamble. My parents cat got into a poisonous substance and cost them $1,500 in emergency vet bills last year.

My colleagues seem to all be having expensive troubles with their animals in the last few months: emergency surgery for a cat ($3,000), emergency surgery for a dog ($6,000), heart failure, car accident, stepped on glass, ATE glass.

Then again, I got my cat for 50% off (twenty-five whole dollars!) and she's been a treasure, no issues. In four years I've spent a total of $1,200 on her, or an average of $300/year.

MicroRN

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 10:40:41 AM »
We budget $200/mo for 3 cats, to cover vet bills, food, litter, and incidentals.  That includes the emergency sinking fund, which we just let roll over.    Food (high quality grain free kibble + wet) runs about $75/mo.  Litter is about $30.  Annual vet visits/vaccines per cat are around $100.  The rest of it covers emergencies, like our current broken-legged kitty.   

Suit

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 10:55:40 AM »
I adopted my dog about 5 months ago from the Humane Society and so far he has cost me $20/mo in pet rent, $25/mo vet care (it's a plan from the vet that spreads out the costs of visits and shots and lets me take him in anytime I have questions for free), around $15 for food, about $10-$20 for treats, toys, etc. He did need some training classes which cost about $180 but have been well worth it! He is a wonderful stress reliever, I get more exercise because I walk him about 1.5 hours a day and he makes me feel safer at home.

samburger

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2014, 12:11:12 PM »
$25/mo vet care (it's a plan from the vet that spreads out the costs of visits and shots and lets me take him in anytime I have questions for free)

Would shots and regular visits cost more than $300/year? I've never had a vet that won't answer questions for free or, at worst, they charge for an office visit ($40 at my current primo vet). $25/mo for vet care sounds a little steep to me. But if it's for your peace of mine, just ignore me!

Suit

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2014, 01:31:17 PM »
Samburger: great points! I wanted to do it at least for this year since I knew he would be needing all of his shots and as a first time solo pet owner I wanted the peace of mind of having the shots, visits, 2 full vet exams, etc covered. I likely won't do it next year once I feel more comfortable that he doesn't have any surprise issues :)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2014, 04:17:53 PM »
I have a 15 year old cat, she is quite happy on dry cat food for $5 for a 30lb bag.

All shots are bought from the feed store except rabies.. and Petco has free clinics for that shot.

To be fixed she went to the local vet students who did it for $15.. practice you see.

When the time comes I have a 22 shell with her name on it.. But I might waver on that one..

Before you ask, yes I do love my cat.

Frank

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 04:38:26 PM »
I think my cat works out to about $35 a month for food, litter, and the occasional superball (he loves them). We took him in off the street (abandoned at 3 months old) so in those first couple of months we had to take care of his fleas, worms, and get him fixed. Since then he has been low maintenance except for his moderately expensive dry food (we get him Wellness brand, others seem to make his stomach tender, maybe from having worms?)

My last cat lived for 15 years, she was wayyy low maintenance. We got her fixed and after that she was never at the vet again, she never got sick and ate cheap cat food too. I'm not big on well animal visits, I think it's kind of a racket, so I don't take mine in unless it seems like something is really wrong.   

Edited to add: Since there's a fair amount of pet hate further down just thought I'd add my 2 cents: having a cat enriches my life so much. When I don't have any animals around my house feels empty. Some people love babies and kids, and some people love animals. Lots of people think that cats are super independent and therefore can pretty much raise themselves. That's how you end up with a crappy cat. Every cat I've had has been super social, and easy to train- because I know how to bring them up (just like people routinely do with dogs). If I snap my fingers, my cat stops doing whatever he's doing, and knows it isn't allowed. He waits by the door for me when I get home. He does certain meows if he wants food versus the window open. Each cat has different quirks and a unique personality. Cats are absolutely expressive, and they definitely pick up on your feelings, so it's no surprise that if you actively hate it, it probably won't be super nice to you back. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:37:13 PM by Elaine »

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2014, 04:53:49 PM »
For the past 9 years we have had 3 or 4 Maltese.  Now we are down to 3.  They have had many expensive things occur that needed the vet and vet bills on high on the West Coast.  I recently added up just medical bills and realized I could have paid cash for a $20,000 car.  My hubby asked me to never mention that to him again.  Not sure if we were just unlucky or if the breed as a whole has a lot of problems. 

rpr

« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 05:58:20 PM »
We have averaged approximately $250 a month. We had 4 older cats all 15+ years old and problems happened. One cat required expensive medication and testing every month for her last three+ years. But she seemed happy, so it was a small price to pay. Now we are down to two, two bundles of joy left us last year :(. It was so worth it. One of our older cats is now on special food that cost $50/month. But his health has improved and his numbers are great. The last five years we have spent almost $15k.

Just a small note: the title is the other way round. Our cats own us! 

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2014, 03:22:54 AM »
I have to admit about being a bit conflicted about pets. Pets bring a lot of joy and positive health benefits to their owners. On previous pet threads the general consensus has been that one should feed and care for one's pet properly - i.e. not penny pinch on food/vet bills etc.  But there is a lot of "pet hype" out there that can lead to unnecessary spending..another toy this week etc etc. Buying a bigger car for the dogs…now we are getting excessive. Similarly there are ways to economise without compromising your pets health. You can make your own dog food and dog biscuits for much less than commercial food and its probably better for your dog.  We have 6 rescue guinea pigs, and have saved by having some washable bedding that reduces bedding costs, I buy mix and hay in as large a quantity as I can without it spoiling, I avoid those "pet treat"  type items in the form of food, toys or bedding, I  grow veg and pick grass and forage for them instead of buying veges.  I spend between $5-800/year on these 6 little rodents. If I weren't frugal it could easily blow out to 2k  or more (without much discernible improvement in the GPs quality of life).

windawake

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2014, 04:31:18 AM »
I probably spend around $70/month on dog stuff including food, toys, treats, flea preventive, and vaccinations.

I get the benefit of 45-60 minutes of daily walks, which in the winter is my only form of exercise besides yoga. We know that walking improves quality of life and life expectancy. I also go to the dog park regularly which substitutes for other activities that may cost money. Instead of meeting a friend at a bar we might walk my dog or go to the dog park. Also, when I take my dog to stores or sit on patios so many strangers come to talk to me. This improves my quality of life and makes it easier to make friends.

This doesn't even account for the main reasons I have a dog. Namely that she's always happy to see me, keeps me company, snuggles with me at night, and is a constant in my life that is full of change. Plus she's very soft.

quilter

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2014, 05:49:38 AM »
I loved our retrievers. They were a great comfort and lots of fun. But when the last one died, we were just at FI and decided not to replace. Money was one reason. Most people here are talking thousands per year when you add it all up. If it is worth it to you,  by all means it is the right thing to do.

I love having the freedom to do whatever I want. We are taking a one + month road trip this summer with a tent, cooler in the backseat, a list of friends  to visit around the country and will use some motels too. Europe this fall for two weeks. An Asian tour this winter. We would never have this freedom with an animal. It would be very hard on a dog too.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 05:52:42 AM by quilter »

happyfeet

• Stubble
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2014, 06:03:56 AM »
We have two indoor cats and a small dog.  Last year we spend just under $2000 on the animals.  And we don't take the cats to the vet or give them their shots anymore(one cat had ingrown claw so a trip needed for that).  The dog goes to the vet and gets his shots.  The dog eats a grain free diet which costs more.  But this $2000 is covering basic animal ownership.  Not cheap.  We love them but when they go - not replacing the cats - perhaps the dog.  We shall see.  We have owned five cats over the years - they are actually more work for me with hairballs, shedding, and litterbox cleaning then the shih tzu dog who does not shed. 

johnintaiwan

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2014, 07:34:58 AM »
we adopted a dog from the humane society type place here for $3. that included the first round of shots. altogether for the three rounds of shots was around $40. we spend less than $30/mo on food. but $3 toys every few weeks. I enjoy having her around as a companion and burglar alarm. I also love/hate the fact that it gets me out of the house every morning to walk her. It means i can't be too lazy. That said, she is a dog and not a person.  I see her stray counter parts all over the place here and they seem to be doing pretty well on the street. I try to give her a decent life, but I would not be willing to pay for any expensive treatment or surgery.

zurich78

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2014, 09:21:24 AM »
I have a dog and I think it was one of the best investments I've made.  He was a rescue from a local animal shelter so the adoption fee plus microchipping, neuter, shots was $120.  He's a 20 lbs Jack Russell Terrier and Red Min Pin mix so food costs are quite manageable as he eats 1 cup of kibble per day so that costs me around $25-$30 per month.  The reason I say it was a great investment is because I stay home more now because I don't want to leave him by himself and plus, he's just a bundle of joy really.  Or, a Friday night is now spent with other dog friends at the local dog park (no cost beyond gas to get there but it is very close) instead of at a restaurant, bar, or something else that costs money.

Couple things.

Trifexis - I've seen some posts in here about costs for heartworm and then additional costs for flea, parasite, etc.  There is a medication called Trifexis which I have my dog on, and it is a single monthly pill which covers heartworm, flea, parasite, all at once and costs me, after rebate, about $200 per year. 

Pet Insurance - If you're worried about vet bills, there is medical insurance available for dogs as well.  I know this might not be very popular with a lot of people here, but, I pay for it mainly for catastrophic events which could ring up in the thousands.  I pay about $40/month for his insurance.  Last year, he had a case of pancreatitis and the vet bill was $900 but insurance covered 100% of it ($100 deductible applied).

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2014, 09:39:42 AM »
Don't know what DH paid for the cat from the shelter.  He hasn't taken her to the vet as often as he should, just once in 6 years, so that cost is minimal (though it should be higher).  Costs are just limited to cat food and litter (basic food, bought with a coupon or on sale when possible).  Bought only a few toys, found we can adapt things around home for her instead.  No cat treats as too much tends to upset her stomach (still have a few bags I got free from couponing).  Stays with my MIL when we travel for more than a few days.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2014, 10:30:50 AM »
I have a dog and I think it was one of the best investments I've made.  He was a rescue from a local animal shelter so the adoption fee plus microchipping, neuter, shots was $120.  He's a 20 lbs Jack Russell Terrier and Red Min Pin mix so food costs are quite manageable as he eats 1 cup of kibble per day so that costs me around $25-$30 per month.  The reason I say it was a great investment is because I stay home more now because I don't want to leave him by himself and plus, he's just a bundle of joy really.  Or, a Friday night is now spent with other dog friends at the local dog park (no cost beyond gas to get there but it is very close) instead of at a restaurant, bar, or something else that costs money.

Couple things.

Trifexis - I've seen some posts in here about costs for heartworm and then additional costs for flea, parasite, etc.  There is a medication called Trifexis which I have my dog on, and it is a single monthly pill which covers heartworm, flea, parasite, all at once and costs me, after rebate, about $200 per year. 

Pet Insurance - If you're worried about vet bills, there is medical insurance available for dogs as well.  I know this might not be very popular with a lot of people here, but, I pay for it mainly for catastrophic events which could ring up in the thousands.  I pay about $40/month for his insurance.  Last year, he had a case of pancreatitis and the vet bill was $900 but insurance covered 100% of it ($100 deductible applied).
If anyone is buying Trifexis, ask your vet about rebates if you buy in bulk.  We've received about $65 in rebates for the 18 months that we purchased (two separate rebates).  The staff didn't mention the rebates.  I just saw something on the side of the box. 

As a side note, I spend WAY more than anyone has mentioned on our dog.  We're working on cutting back (found someone to watch her for free when we're out of town instead of boarding at $60/night), but we've got a long way before our dog is not a major expense. 

I do recognize that my dog is a major budget buster.  In order to accommodate the raise in our budget, we switched to a smaller apartment, cut back on going out to eat, stopped going to bars, and have cheap/free outings on the weekends (hiking, dog park visits, walks around the neighborhood).  We're spending less now that we have the dog, but we could have made all of the changes without a pet. 

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2014, 10:43:01 AM »
… And then there are the unexpected expenses. I'm just about to head out to drive 40 miles each way to a tractor supply to get some liquid bandage specifically designed for dogs. Apparently there's none available anywhere closer, though I think I will call all the vets between here and there before I start. Oh, and the creature liquid bandage runs $14.99 an ounce instead of the people liquid bandage which runs more like a dollar and a half an ounce. However, it's got stuff in it I do not want my baby licking, so veterinary blend it is.

Editing to add I'm going to call all the feed stores as well.

Update: three different options at the feed store four and a half miles away. Should cost less since it's not a yuppie place, too.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 10:49:02 AM by Rural »

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2014, 10:58:09 AM »
Just found out we will be getting my son's 75 lb dog so food bills, etc will go up.  So much for my downsizing plan.  Actually all 4 dogs are old and when they go we will probably only have one. When we worked outside the home we liked to have 2 for company but now we are home so much that one will be plenty. I would never be without a pet again.  It is a shame that vet bills are so much in this part of the country because it really impacts the ability to be able to rescue more dogs.  I have friend's in Ks & TX that pay about a third of what we do.

thisperson

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2014, 12:36:06 PM »
It's worth taking into account the benefits of having pets. Others have pointed out things like health benefits for humans, but many pets (especially in rural areas) have jobs. For example, I have:

-A beagle (from a rescue). She hunts rabbits with me. It's great exercise for both of us, especially during the cold winter months, and it's a good source of fresh meat. She also protects our other pets.

-A cat (also from a rescue). She keeps our house and yard free from rodents. When we bought our house four years ago, there were mice all over the house and chipmunks had dug such an extensive network of tunnels in the backyard that sections of it would cave in if I stepped in the wrong spot. I no longer have to worry about any of that. The cat and the beagle also share responsibility for keeping critters away from the vegetable garden.

-Two chickens. They provide eggs, put a bit of a dent in the tick population around the house, and make quality contributions to the compost pile.

All of the animals provide great entertainment.

In my experience, most of the costs associated with our pets have been start-up costs (a crate for the dog, vaccinations, building the chicken coop). Ongoing costs have been minimal, particularly for the cat and chickens. It's all been well worth it for me.

worms

• Bristles
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2014, 01:12:34 PM »
Daughter's gerbil and rabbit were pretty cheap to run....helping her through vet college was a bit more pricey!

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2014, 01:32:48 PM »
This is a great topic. 

Things that are potential negatives for some owners:
- the incessant barking of all dogs (that incessantly bark). 
- the cost of a pet
- having a pet complicates travel.
- disruption to sleep
- Takes time away from more important things.
- the quantity of conversation and photo album realestate taken up by pet owners.
- dog shit everywhere.  This is only topped by the phenomenon of dog owners who scoop their dog's shit, then fling the plastic bag filled with shit into the nearest tree or hedge.
- pets that bite people

And some positives
- Companion
- Benefit to emotional health
- Benefit to physical health
- Hunting companion
- Vermin control
- Entertainment
- A proxy to teach kids to be kind etc.

So, I started to wonder "Why the hell does everyone want a pet?"  What is the evolutionary benefit to this? 
So, I started doing a little digging: http://courses.washington.edu/evpsych/Archer_Why-do-people-love-their-pets_1997.pdf

I'd be keen to hear what people think about the propositions put forth in Archer's paper above.  Feel free to include other (newer) relevant literature on the topic.  I'm looking for big picture here...I don't want companion dogs benefit nursing homes crap. 

Oh, FWIW, guide dogs and working dogs (drugs/fire/cadaver etc) are excellent uses for dogs.

I can't think of anything similar for cats that a mouse trap wouldn't do.  Yeah, I'm looking at you man-cave pissing cat! 

« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 05:53:58 PM by Ottawa »

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2014, 01:47:06 PM »
I can't think of anything similar for cats that a mouse trap wouldn't do.  Yeah, I'm looking at you man-cave pissing cat! 

Not that I am a cat fan, but the tally of mice caught at our new house is:
2 cat
6-7 traps

So, the cat caught some mice the traps missed.  And I think serves as a deterrent.  It's also a good barometer of mouse activity.  if she ignores the kitchen we're ok.  When she patrols it and stands watch in front of the fridge/stove/a few key cabinets, we know to set more traps out.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2014, 02:12:40 PM »
They are a hell of a lot cheaper than children.
Mostly they are surrogate children.  I think if I had lots of kids, or lived in a big commune I wouldn't need them so much, but since that has other disadvantages, I'll just stick with my dogs.

zurich78

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2014, 02:59:30 PM »
So, I started to wonder "Why the hell does everyone want a pet?"  What is the evolutionary benefit to this? 
So, I started doing a little digging: http://courses.washington.edu/evpsych/Archer_Why-do-people-love-their-pets_1997.pdf

I don't think that's a research study or anything is it?  Looks like he just compiled a bunch of findings from other people and put it in to an opinion write up.

Also, a lot of the references he makes are to publications and studies from the 1980s and even earlier.  That's over 30 years ago!

I do think it is an interesting discussion though.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2014, 03:08:25 PM »
Okay, you made me look.

Based upon a monthly calculation from the past few years, my elderly indoor-only cat has cost me about $10000 in his 17 years.  This mostly food and litter but includes ~$1500 for the vet (mostly from one incident when he was a couple of years old).  He hasn't gone to the vet for shots in years because he already has the antibodies from his earlier shots (think about it:  when was the last time you needed another shot yourself?  It's basic immunology.)  He isn't outside so worms and fleas are a non-issue as well.  He is an old sweetie and appears to be doing just fine, but I won't spend any money on end of life care for him other than perhaps something palliative for his last day or two.  Pet sitting is easily swapped for free with neighbors who have small animals like cats/rabbits/fish/small reptiles.

The pet toy racket makes me laugh.  Most dogs are perfectly happy fetching a stick or playing tug-o-war with an old ratty towel and most cats are happy playing with a crumpled up piece of newspaper or tissue paper (tie it to some string so you can dangle it if you really want to get fancy.)

I dislike dog shit everywhere.  This dislike is only topped by the phenomenon of dog owners who scoop their dog's shit, then fling the plastic bag filled with shit into the nearest tree or hedge.

I have noticed this recently: that people on a hiking trail will just leave a plastic baggie full of dog crap right there on the trail.  Sometimes a little pile of these baggies collects in one spot on the ground because of multiple people doing it.  WTF?!

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2014, 03:08:31 PM »

I don't think that's a research study or anything is it?  Looks like he just compiled a bunch of findings from other people and put it in to an opinion write up.

Also, a lot of the references he makes are to publications and studies from the 1980s and even earlier.  That's over 30 years ago!

I do think it is an interesting discussion though.

Umm...
Evolutionand HumanBehavior 18:237-259 (1997)

17 years ago for this published article.  Age of references aren't a big deal...unless the research has been superseded...which is why I call for any newer information. 

thepokercab

• Bristles
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2014, 03:18:23 PM »
They are a hell of a lot cheaper than children.
Mostly they are surrogate children.  I think if I had lots of kids, or lived in a big commune I wouldn't need them so much, but since that has other disadvantages, I'll just stick with my dogs.

I agree with this. When my wife and I got married we got a small dog, who we really loved.  But then our first baby came, and she definitely got pushed to the back burner.  Once we had an actual small human to feed, clean up shit, get shots, play with, etc.. the attention we could give the dog really decreased.   We gave her to my wife's parents and she has a great home there, and we get to see her a few times a year which is nice. 

Our daughter is 4 now, and our son is 1; once our son is a bit older I can see us maybe bringing a dog back into the house. 

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2014, 04:12:30 PM »
Within reason, owning a pet can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. 

High end of the scale . . . low end of the scale

Buy a pedigreed animal . . . adopt from a shelter or other cheap/free source
Feed fancy, expensive food . . . feed store brand food and table scraps
Raise litters of offspring /search for home . . . have the animal spayed/neutered at the clinic
Buy expensive dog houses /beds . . . provide the animal with an old bath mat or blanket
Provide new toys regularly . . . play with an old tennis ball or other homemade toys
Spend $$$ if a serious illness arises /end of life issues . . . recognize that it's an animal and let it go with dignity

No pet will be free, but if you're moderate in your spending, you're going to get back more on an emotional level than you're going to spend

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2014, 05:18:15 PM »
I read parts of the article and I have to disagree with one part.  It said that studies show that people's grief is similar whether a pet dies or a spouse or child.  When a child dies people grieve for years and it never really goes away.  Most people do not grieve their parents or their pets for this length of time.   Also I am sure most people grieve over people much more then their beloved pets.  Big dogs are also great watch dogs.   I feel that my pets are worth every dime.  Also the poster with the peeing cat-I am sure the animal picks up on your feelings. Some people are not pet people.

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2014, 05:30:35 PM »
I read parts of the article and I have to disagree with one part.  It said that studies show that people's grief is similar whether a pet dies or a spouse or child.  When a child dies people grieve for years and it never really goes away.  Most people do not grieve their parents or their pets for this length of time.   Also I am sure most people grieve over people much more then their beloved pets. 

One of many studies...with variable outcomes...some show intense grief of a month..questionnaires are always problematic.  You'd have to look up the original study and critique it then. Anecdotal rebuttal is not a useful counter.

Big dogs are also great watch dogs.   

Depends.  I would think small yappy dogs would alert the gun-toting owner just as fast.

I feel that my pets are worth every dime. 

Ah!  Then you have been manipulated by your pet as per the author's theory of parasitic interaction.  But that's OK.

Also the poster with the peeing cat-I am sure the animal picks up on your feelings. Some people are not pet people.

Cat picks up on feelings?  I doubt that.  They are just picking up on whether you feed them.  They are also looking to see if you are still breathing...because the moment you stop?  They go for the face.  So do Pomeranians and shihtzus.   :-) 

Cassie

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2014, 05:33:29 PM »
You did make me laugh out loud with your last sentence although we all know it is not true.  I have 3 small yappy dogs and they do alert you to danger however, I would not count on them if someone broke in.   Now Chi's are another story.  There was a u tube video of one that kept jumping & biting the burglar's face until he ran out of the house. 

Ottawa

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2014, 05:49:32 PM »
You did make me laugh out loud with your last sentence although we all know it is not true.  I have 3 small yappy dogs and they do alert you to danger however, I would not count on them if someone broke in.   Now Chi's are another story.  There was a u tube video of one that kept jumping & biting the burglar's face until he ran out of the house.

I was at a forensic conference back in 2005 and heard a crime scene investigator speak about bodies found in a confined space.  Where the owner had a cat...all had been predated.  The two aforementioned dog breeds also (if memory serves) I think poodles as we'll.  anyway...
http://books.google.ca/books?id=HPlMwSTSsbwC&pg=PA57&lpg=PA57&dq=post+mortem+pet+predation+owner&source=bl&ots=H_k6tElrzP&sig=1VVlcRNaBpUL844u4FVba7G9oL8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=6lxxU_DdOpe3yATstILQDA&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=post%20mortem%20pet%20predation%20owner&f=false

ShortInSeattle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2014, 10:06:07 PM »
I estimate that each cat has cost us $500/yr.  They're both getting older and having some age-related problems.

We're going to go pet-free after they're gone. I think it's gonna be hard (big animal lover) but we want more freedom to travel.

Pet sitting, vet bills, food, litter, it adds up.

Love our kitties. Glad to have them as long as they are still happy to be around. :)

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2014, 12:20:50 PM »
I've had my dog for around 13 months.  Monthly average is $155 for upkeep only costs (ie does not include training costs).  This includes all of the initial vet costs etc from when we first got him.  That's the biggest expense of getting a puppy typically, all the vet visits and shots they need in the first few months.

I have a German Shepherd, so my food bill is higher than many dog owners, coming in at $80 a month.  Which is typically my only expense outside of training.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2014, 12:39:19 PM »

Interesting article.  Written by someone who doesn't like pets and the bias shows throughout the article.  The part that really bothers me is that it didn't divulge into any reasoning as to why we domesticated these animals in the first place.  I understand the focus is on "pets", but these animals were domesticated to do work.  Early dogs would help hunt and alert to presence of danger...just the same as many dogs do today.

I understand you made that caveat Ottawa, but the article bothered me by neglecting why these animals became pets in the first place, which seems like an important aspect to look at.

Tami1982

• Handlebar Stache
    • Disabled Girl on Fire
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2014, 01:10:18 PM »
[quote author=Zamboni link=topic=17772.msg290190#msg290190 date=1399928905

I have noticed this recently: that people on a hiking trail will just leave a plastic baggie full of dog crap right there on the trail.  Sometimes a little pile of these baggies collects in one spot on the ground because of multiple people doing it.  WTF?!
[/quote]

The idea of this, properly applied, is that you scoop it on the way in, and instead of carrying it the whole hike, you pick it up on the way out.  If people aren't picking it up on the way out, shame on them!  This is a common dog practice in the Pac NW.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2014, 01:16:04 PM »

I was at a forensic conference back in 2005 and heard a crime scene investigator speak about bodies found in a confined space.  Where the owner had a cat...all had been predated.  The two aforementioned dog breeds also (if memory serves) I think poodles as we'll.  anyway...
http://books.google.ca/books?id=HPlMwSTSsbwC&pg=PA57&lpg=PA57&dq=post+mortem+pet+predation+owner&source=bl&ots=H_k6tElrzP&sig=1VVlcRNaBpUL844u4FVba7G9oL8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=6lxxU_DdOpe3yATstILQDA&ved=0CCwQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=post%20mortem%20pet%20predation%20owner&f=false

You bring up an interesting point that while people who love their pets too much may do it out of anthropomorphism, so might people who hate pets.  Obviously cats and dogs don't have the complex cultural ideas that would cause them to regard a corpse as sacred.  They also don't understand about sentimental possessions, see: chewing up a favorite one; don't understand that you want to sleep in on the weekend, etc., etc.  Expecting otherwise will lead to disappointment.
(Having said that, you're an animal person or you're not, don't think your expectations would affect ithat.)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!