Author Topic: The Mustachian Diet  (Read 4449 times)

Bruised_Pepper

• Stubble
The Mustachian Diet
« on: October 16, 2013, 10:34:42 PM »
One of the things I'm really enjoying about Mustachedom is evaluating the cost-per-calories of foods like MMM does in a couple of his posts.  He also advocates a high-fat, low-carb diet--something which I'm trying out for myself. 

Are you doing this sort of diet?  Aside from oils, nuts, and avocados, what are you eating for cheap fat?   

Elaine

• Bristles
    • Small Things Good
Re: The Mustachian Diet
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 07:54:13 AM »
I personally don't like the modified paleo diet that MMM enjoys, it just doesn't work for my body. I do basically high fat and high carb, and probably about 70-80% vegetarian (which I find is much cheaper and I feel better, but of course everyone is different). One way I take advantage of super fat is butter and ghee (clarified butter), I swear it's magic, the more butter I eat the better I feel. I also conserve fat from meats, so when I make bacon I drain the leftover fat into a mason jar and stick it in the fridge. I can then use that fat to fry veggie type things (makes for low cost but high fat content, as opposed to just eating tons of meat all the time). Coconut milk is also a must for me, it's not usually that expensive (try asian grocery stores, it's always cheaper there). A great cheap protein source we use a lot is homemade hummus (chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt). 

Kriegsspiel

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 05:06:04 PM »
Chicken thighs and eggs, for me.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 05:08:06 PM »
Vegetarian here.  Have been basically vegan, for the last several weeks, actually.

Maybe somebody should make a poll about mustache diets?

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 06:23:10 PM »
Bacon! Leave the grease in the pan and cook stuff in it later, or put it in the fridge to store it for a while.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 06:35:11 PM »
Kosher is hard to do cheaply.  Especially meats.

ChrisM

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 06:48:07 PM »
One of the things I'm really enjoying about Mustachedom is evaluating the cost-per-calories of foods like MMM does in a couple of his posts.  He also advocates a high-fat, low-carb diet--something which I'm trying out for myself. 

Are you doing this sort of diet?  Aside from oils, nuts, and avocados, what are you eating for cheap fat?   

Trader Joes has cans of Coconut Cream for $1.?? something.  1 can is 850 calories.  Great source of calories and fat with only a little carbs.  Mix some curry paste and some of 5lb bag of organic Normandy veggies from Costco and you have a high fat, low carb, low protein meal. 

Careful with the coconut, it's known to cause gastrointestinal issues for some people who consume too much and aren't used to it.  I think a lot of fats do that though.