Author Topic: The mustache e-bike that is not mustachian  (Read 5625 times)

Grog

• Bristles
The mustache e-bike that is not mustachian
« on: June 27, 2014, 02:05:42 AM »
I thought it was funny to post here.
here they are: and they are beatiful
http://www.moustachebikes.com/uk/collection.html

I've just taken out one free to test to go forth and back from work. it is 28 km (19 miles), 400 m/sm uphill (1200 feet) in both direction in the middle of the swiss alps.

I love bike as a transportation mean, I hate it as an hobby, to go around just to get tired. To help me with the commute, I was looking for a 45 km/h (30mph) ebike, that requires driving permit for small motorcycle and it has a plate registration requirement.

They are reaaaaly expensive, way off budget (the cheapest 45 kmh goes for 4000 chf, 5000 usd at today's change, but I don't own a car and this would be the replacement.

My question is simple: does anybody have experience with 45 km/h ebike? They are relatively new so I can't find an used one. Does anybody has some kind of experience with them? Used maybe in an alpine terrain like mine?

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The mustache e-bike that is not mustachian
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 06:40:46 AM »
Why not just get a motorcycle? Or a scooter?

shadowmoss

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 06:41:48 AM »
My first thought is what does this give you that a small motorbike (motorcycle?) doesn't?  It's a bike, but it is really just a different type of motorcycle.  Is a motorbike/motorcycle cheaper?  If the electric bike offers enough benefit to offset any cost considerations, go for it.

In my world, an electric bike means I don't need a motorcycle endorsement on my licsense, don't need to plate/insure it.  You say that this bike goes enough faster that you need those things, so I question why you should choose it.  I think here in AZ if a bike can go over 20 mph it is also considered a motorcycle.

skunkfunk

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 06:47:10 AM »

Grog

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 02:44:50 PM »
Well today I used to come back from work and I was really surprised. The difference with scooter and motorcycle are immense: no parking required (I could bring it inside my flat), no fuel cost etc and here comes the big surprise:
I'm actually exhausted! I really did get good exercise but instead of ramping up the steep hill at 10-15 km/h I was making the same kind of effort, all red in face and stuff, but I was going at 45 km/h.

That means instead of commuting 100 minutes without motor, I did take only 40. And they were pretty much intense, as efforts goes, always going to the limit. So I did exercise, but at the same time I was at home one hour early. That's huge in my book, while with a normal ebike I didn't have that, since after 25 km/h it just stopped working

Thanks for the link, I would really love the idea of diy, I'll start watching some youtube videos.

TrMama

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 03:38:02 PM »
5000 USD for something like that is a lot of money. For that much money you could do what a few people here do and mount a small gas engine on the top of a pannier rack of a regular bicycle. My dad built his own and there's at least one other person in my town who's done this.

In fact, a quick Google search found several companies that sell kits to build your own motorized bike.

I have no idea what legal requirements you'd have to satisfy to ride a vehicle like this in Switzerland, but for way less than 5000 USD you could probably buy a kit and hire someone to build it for you.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 04:20:31 PM »
5000 USD you could probably buy a kit and hire someone to build it for you.

Hell, for 5000 USD you can buy a really sweet motorcycle.  That will get 50 mpg and go over 100 mph.  And probably get you laid.

Grog

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 11:13:12 PM »
Yeah it's crazy, that's why I posted the link, since was quite ironical,  given the name. That's why I was looking for used, but I don't know how well this bike age, and if they required more heavy maintenance. But I see this bike are truly not common, I 've hoped that someone here would have had some insight

gooki

• Magnum Stache
    • My FIRE journal
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 01:37:02 AM »
This kit is $500 usd inc shipping to nearly anywhere in the world.

http://www.greenbikekit.com/electric-bike-kit-1/front/36v-250w-gbk-100f-front-driving-e-bike-kit-with-bottle-battery.html

Choose the high rpm model in a 700c wheel and you'll be going 40km/hour with modest pedaling.

Move up to 48 volts and the same motor will do 50-55km/hour. Which is fast enough to get a speeding ticket on city streets wher I live.

PS, only select the high rpm motor if you are riding on flat roads, the lower rpm one will be more suitable for hills, but your top speed will be approx 20% slower.