Author Topic: The most annoying $3 dollars I spend.  (Read 6818 times)

Sand Dreamer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
The most annoying $3 dollars I spend.
« on: June 22, 2015, 06:50:07 PM »
When I began my job about 3 years ago they introduced something to me called a "coffee fund" everyone in the office put 3 dollars in each month.  Being new I went along with this, however I don't drink coffee and they use this for other expenses, cards, random things like paper plates or if someone passes away and the such.  However, the powers above will also send multiple emails in times like these asking for donations.  Now I have no issue with helping someone who is having a hard time, however paying into a "coffee fund" for things I never use has become a pet peeve of mine.  I am happy to give a donation, but being expected to give money irks me.  Especially when I am receiving emails about it constantly.  Many people in the office feel the same, but have continued to pay this some of them for decades.  I know this is a minimal amount of money, but I was just curious for everyone's opinion on this and ideas for explaining to them that I am going to opt out.

Thanks.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: The most annoying $3 dollars I spend.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 07:26:59 PM »
If you don't drink coffee, that should be a good enough reason to abstain from contributing.

If someone's half bother's ex sister-in-law's great uncle died, you shouldn't feel obligated to contribute for flowers.

If your boss's/employee's/close co-worker's immediate family member dies, a small donation toward flowers from the office is reasonable.

Just my $0.02.

mskyle

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 07:46:20 PM »
It's not about the coffee, it's about participating in the social life of the office. It is worth $36 a year to not alienate your coworkers.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 07:53:15 PM »
$3/month is really small.  I wouldn't sweat it.

Save up $900, and think of that as providing that $3/mo. forever at a 4% SWR.

In other words, save up $900 once to pay for that small annoyance as long as you work, and you get to keep the $900 afterwards!  Huzzah!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 08:10:14 PM »
It's not about the coffee, it's about participating in the social life of the office. It is worth $36 a year to not alienate your coworkers.

This.

If you can't get over your resentment, secretly do something douchey like drink all the milk intended for coffee (or, $3/month's worth, anyway.)

abiteveryday

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 08:41:41 PM »
I agree with the others, but I totally get the resentment.   At my office it's a similar pool to get the big 5 gallon bottled water brought in and associated cooler.     We work in Seattle!   Tap water is awesome here!    It just blows my mind.   I refuse on principle to drink from the cooler when the tap is literally perfect water.   But....   it's not about the water.

Lynne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 09:50:06 PM »

Yeah, I'd probably contribute to it for that reason and because it's also used for other things, but...people still ask for money for flowers/cards/gifts because the fund isn't sufficient?  I would find that annoying.  At my work there is a gift fund specifically for those things, so you pay your $24/year for that and then nobody hits you up again.  So much nicer.  Maybe you can suggest something like that, as a separate fund from the coffee fund, with the expectation that this eliminates the random soliciting.

(For us it's pretty low pressure, you just don't get cards yourself if you don't contribute to the fund.  I am not much of a cards and flowers kind of person but some people do care more about these things and you need to maintain good work relationships, so I put my money in and consider it a cost of doing business.  I'm just glad I don't also have to pay for coffee, which I don't drink either, ick.)

Lynne

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 09:51:10 PM »
I refuse to participate in the office Secret Santa though.  One must draw the line somewhere.  ;)

Ricky

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 09:57:37 PM »
Well you can be the change or keep going. I personally don't think you're going to hurt feelings or alienate anyone strictly by refusing to give a measly $3/mo.

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 06:44:16 AM »
I don't contribute to coffee fund at work because I do not drink coffee.

Maybe a solution for you would be to stop contributing, but every other month bring in some paper plates/napkins/plasticware for the office.

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 07:26:39 AM »
Especially when I am receiving emails about it constantly.

When I receive silly, unimportant emails at work, I set up an automatic filter to my junk mail folder. It's up to you to decide if this qualifies.

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 05:19:36 PM »
I read somewhere to consider this kind of thing as (paraphrasing) just part of the larger cost of having a job. Like having special clothes for work, the cost of getting there, etc. Suck it up. If you have enough seniority in the office and enough personal capital, you could try to talk about toning down some of the expenditures, but otherwise... just let it go.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 05:36:18 PM »
Why do the powers above not just simply pay for coffee, plates, and cards for everyone?  That would be my suggestion.  Phrase it to them in the manner of "your time is really valuable, so valuable that sending emails on this subject is costing the company more than simply paying for the damn coffee."  (Accountant here, can you tell?)

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 07:39:15 AM »
Why do the powers above not just simply pay for coffee, plates, and cards for everyone?  That would be my suggestion.  Phrase it to them in the manner of "your time is really valuable, so valuable that sending emails on this subject is costing the company more than simply paying for the damn coffee."  (Accountant here, can you tell?)

I worked for a public university. By law, they CANNOT pay for these benefits for employees.

I don't know if the OP is in the same situation. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!