Author Topic: The mental health care mess: what is family's obligation?  (Read 3160 times)

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
The mental health care mess: what is family's obligation?
« on: May 29, 2014, 12:12:37 PM »
I was just reading Totoro's update about her sister, and this article I saw the other day came to mind:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/27/-sp-americas-mental-health-care-system-crisis

What do you all think about this woman's children bailing her out? Is it the right thing to do, or does it just perpetuate her illness? Would it be better to stop helping so she would really hit bottom and be forced into getting treatment? Though I can understand why they are doing it.

The relation to this board's topics is the huge financial assistance the children are providing.

Such a terrible system.

Kaminoge

• Bristles
Re: The mental health care mess: what is family's obligation?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 12:37:44 PM »
Perpetrate her illness? I don't think that's the right way to describe an illness.

Mental health is a minefield. Look at that kid who just killed all those people. His parents had tried to alert authorities to the danger he posed and absolutely nothing got done. End result a whole bunch of people, including him, are dead. If the kids weren't helping her there's a good chance it would end up in her on the streets and still not getting treatment.

The whole situation sucks and I really feel for them.

BFGirl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 01:03:10 PM »
The mental health system, at least in Texas, is horrible.  You can't get anyone treatment unless they are considered a danger to themselves or others.  This pretty much means they have to threaten  or committ physical violence against themselves or someone else before psychiatric treatment can be forced upon them.  There are MANY out there who do not get to that point, but could have much better lives if there was a more proactive approach to their care.  A lot of them end up on the streets or being taken advantage of by others.  I don't agree with locking them up for life, but I also don't agree with "protecting their rights" so much that they can't get help they obviously need. 

My job deals with these issues and I can't tell you the number of heartbreaking situations that we have that we can't do anything about.  Many families do all they can, but they become burnt out both emotionally and financially trying to help their family members.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 01:07:24 PM by BFGirl »

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 02:58:06 PM »
Not treating an illness is perpetuating it (not "perpetrating") -- that is, it continues to cause whatever damage it causes to the host.

I guess I was wondering how people feel about caring for relatives in such a situation. These children are going to have warped or stunted lives because of it -- but is it their moral obligation to keep doing what they're doing?