Author Topic: The house is cold. What should I bake today?  (Read 3574 times)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
The house is cold. What should I bake today?
« on: October 17, 2017, 06:57:52 AM »
It's 62 degrees in the house and our furnace is turned off.  I forget why, but I'm disinclined to call husband at work to ask, and even more disinclined to go to the crawl space to turn it on.

However it is chilly enough that I should probably warm the house up a bit until the sun rises higher.  Feeling sluggish and uninspired... any suggestions on something to bake? Only one kid is home (the three year old). I'm a pretty good baker and have all sorts of obscure ingredients lying around. Nothing too elaborate, just something that will kickstart the day and will still be good later in the day, or freezes well.

StarBright

• Magnum Stache
Re: The house is cold. What should I bake today?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 07:05:41 AM »
Yes! Some sort of cozy, fall inspired muffin or cinnamon bread if you are a bread person.

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 07:17:06 AM »
Get some bread dough going.  Then turn the oven on and make biscuits or scones for breakfast.  Then the oven will be on when the bread is ready to go on, and you get hours of warmth and days of yumminess. :-)

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 07:32:38 AM »
Got any apples? Make an apple crumb. Easier than pie, quick, good to eat warm, and will freeze well.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 07:44:55 AM »
Get some bread dough going.  Then turn the oven on and make biscuits or scones for breakfast.  Then the oven will be on when the bread is ready to go on, and you get hours of warmth and days of yumminess. :-)

There! That's what I need to do. I want some nice yeasted bread but house is too cold for dough to rise. But if I do something else first the house will be warm enough.

I'll start a hot cross buns dough
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/hot-cross-buns-16.html

Then will think of something quick.  Unfortunately we have only Gala apples, not great for baking! Maybe muffins or gingerbread. Not in the mood for anything sweet myself, but kids will like it!

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 07:50:13 AM »
My vote goes to challa bread.

Rise the dough by sticking it in your oven (or microwave) with a large pot or couple mugs of steaming hot water.  This will keep the local humidity and temperature up for the rise.  (Don't turn the oven or microwave on while the bread is rising.)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 07:51:51 AM by GuitarStv »

tthree

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 07:59:14 AM »
Mini muffins!  My kiddos think they are far superior to a regular sized muffin.

Got some zucchini you need to use up?  https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2014/07/healthy-double-chocolate-zucchini-muffins/
Or bananas? http://www.bowlofdelicious.com/2014/07/03/banana-blueberry-oat-muffins/

Laura33

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 10:12:46 AM »

There! That's what I need to do. I want some nice yeasted bread but house is too cold for dough to rise. But if I do something else first the house will be warm enough.

I'll start a hot cross buns dough
https://www.williams-sonoma.com/recipe/hot-cross-buns-16.html

Then will think of something quick.  Unfortunately we have only Gala apples, not great for baking! Maybe muffins or gingerbread. Not in the mood for anything sweet myself, but kids will like it!

Do you deliver?  :-)

I find apple/applesauce cakes work ok with non-baking apples, because it's more a flavor than anything else.  And on a cold day, there really is just something about cinnamon.

Hadilly

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 11:06:17 AM »
I just made this for a dinner party. It was delicious. I subbed some grated fresh ginger for dried.
https://smittenkitchen.com/2010/10/spiced-applesauce-cake/

And now I want to make this: https://smittenkitchen.com/2017/10/chocolate-olive-oil-cake-more-book-tour/

I think I will, later this afternoon.

I make these cookies pretty regularly, but use avocado oil and add some instant espresso powder. I don't bother with the hemp hearts and just add more oats. I do a mixture of black and regular cocoa, about 1/2 cup total. Very delicious! Kind of like a healthy Oreo.

Edited to add the link: https://myediblejourney.com/2014/02/20/healthy-cocoa-oatmeal-cookies/

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 11:06:42 AM »
Do you deliver?  :-)

I did!!

Just took the gingerbread out of the oven (Shaker recipe) and the house smells lovely.

The buns dough is still only halfway risen, even though I put it on top of the stove to catch some warm air from the oven, so I guess it may be a couple more hours till it is ready.

Still a bit chill in the house, but at least it's warmed up enough to give me some energy to move around. I ought to think about baking our dinner, too, while the oven is hot.  Except that may entail rummaging around in our cold, cold freezer...

Hadilly, thanks for the recipes!! It will likely be as cold tomorrow so I have something to look forward to.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 11:07:43 AM »
Galas are terrific for baking, in my opinion.  They don't go to mush, and they don't need granny smiths to balance the acidity.

nouveauRiche

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 12:27:57 PM »
Baked potatoes or sweet potatoes for dinner?  They can take an hour or more. 

BlueHouse

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2017, 03:08:39 PM »
I love the spirit of your post!  It brought a smile to my face to realize that we mustachians can solve a problem with cupcakes and muffins! 
Enjoy!

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2017, 03:18:34 PM »
Thank you, we did!  I made a double recipe of hot cross buns  and there's only half of one left. I froze the pan of gingerbread because everybody was stuffed with buns, so that will make us happy another day.

Didn't know that Galas were good for baking, good to know!

It's warm again today (and husband turned on the furnace, seems like there was nothing wrong with it) but on the next cold day I'll try challah, applesauce cake or crumble, and a pot roast with baked potatoes.  Welcome winter!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!