Author Topic: The games that we play..  (Read 6371 times)

cbr shadow

• Bristles
The games that we play..
« on: November 30, 2012, 12:41:41 PM »
I find that I'm more easily motivated by 'challenges' or games that I set for myself daily.  I have long-term goals of course, but I find it hard to think about those when I'm faced with a decision on either to spend money or not to (Do I just eat fast food for $10, or do I wait an hour and eat something healthier for $2?).

One thing I try to do every day is to eat breakfast and lunch for "free".  I do this by eating an inexpensive but healthy breakfast and same for lunch, then getting some type of income during my lunch break while I eat at my desk.  Usually I do online paid surveys and make $3-$5 doing that while I eat.  For example, today I had 1 full egg with 3 egg whites mixed with a little bit of brown rice and hot sauce, a little olive oil and some salt/pepper.  I LOVE this for breakfast and it costs under $1.50 since I buy everything in bulk.  Lunch was brown rice/beans with brocolli and some canned chicken mixed in.  I buy these incredients in bulk and make it in huge batches so each lunch costs me about $1.50 at most.  So today I had to make $3 or more during my lunch break using surveys.  I ended up making $4.

Another thing I do is to NEVER eat fast food.  This used to be a problem with me where I'd eat mcdonalds on my way in to work and again most of the time at lunch - that was $300 per month on shitty food!  Now those meals are "free" and I look and feel much better.

Lastly, I try to get over a certain MPG on my way to work every day.  It does take more focus and energy to do this, but it adds a disipline in my life and saves me money, plus it's fun to try to beat yesterday's number.  I drive a 2001 Honda Insight hybrid and if I'm lazy driving to work I'll get 50mpg, but if I try hard I'll get 65.  Next step is riding the bike!

What are some games you play, or daily challenges you set for yourself? 

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
Re: The games that we play..
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 04:30:22 PM »
Where do you find your paid surveys?

I also drive my car in the smoothest possible way. I grin when I slowly coast past twenty cars while in the slow lane before a big red light, knowing that the half-mile was done at 70MPG while other drivers jockeyed for position in stop and go traffic in the other two lanes...

kudy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 07:53:46 PM »
I recently challenged myself to not drink alcohol at home between Thanksgiving and Christmas - I wish I could say this is easy, buy nights like tonight are just begging for a glass of whiskey to relax with.

A few months back I started biking to work at least once a week... I guess I didn't make it a challenge to myself officially, and I haven't done it 100% - so maybe a challenge format would have encouraged me more.

I've been trying really hard to not drive my car at all on the weekends, and I've been pretty sucessful with that, but again, not an official challenge, and not 100%.

I recently signed up for answers.com and I might try and sneak in some extra money at lunch if I am able to spot a few questions to answer, good idea!

cbr shadow

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 09:30:38 AM »
Paul,
There are a lot of online surveys that pay, but MANY of them pay so little that it's not even worth doing.  Lucky for you I've sifted through a ton of different ones.
www.opinionoutpost.com seems to be the very best.  They pay you through paypal right away and I've been paid several times now.  I use it daily and generally make $4-$8 per day which takes up my lunch break at work (while I eat) and sometimes while my wife and I watch TV in the evening.  Usually I'll make $3-$4 / hour which is not good pay, obviously, but I do it because it takes very little thought and I'm usually doing something else anyway (eating, watching tv).

kdms

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 11:17:46 AM »
That site is awesome!  Clicked on your link for a lark and 20 minutes later I've made the equivalent of $2.  As you said, it's not a 'quit your day job' deal, but for a few extra bucks that's great.  Especially while I'm not doing anything but eating lunch at my desk.... :)

BlueBeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 10:21:20 AM »
Paul,
There are a lot of online surveys that pay, but MANY of them pay so little that it's not even worth doing.  Lucky for you I've sifted through a ton of different ones.
www.opinionoutpost.com seems to be the very best.  They pay you through paypal right away and I've been paid several times now.  I use it daily and generally make $4-$8 per day which takes up my lunch break at work (while I eat) and sometimes while my wife and I watch TV in the evening.  Usually I'll make $3-$4 / hour which is not good pay, obviously, but I do it because it takes very little thought and I'm usually doing something else anyway (eating, watching tv).

Tried out the site.  Thank you for sharing.  I tried about 10 surveys, and quite a few I was not a good fit for and turned away.  It seems the mustachian way of not buying stuff all the time and not owning an iphone or ipad disqualifies me from most of the surveys.  Is this typical or am I the exception?  Does the site eventually use all the profile info to per-qualify you for good surveys?

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 09:48:26 PM »
Paul,
I had the same experience, plus a much lower payout rate, maybe 3-4 dollars per hour. I must be taking too long to read the questions, or doing them too seriously. Either way, I can think of better ways to spend the few minutes of downtime I have at lunch. YMMYV.

Tried out the site.  Thank you for sharing.  I tried about 10 surveys, and quite a few I was not a good fit for and turned away.  It seems the mustachian way of not buying stuff all the time and not owning an iphone or ipad disqualifies me from most of the surveys.  Is this typical or am I the exception?  Does the site eventually use all the profile info to per-qualify you for good surveys?

jpo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 08:52:37 AM »
I also drive my car in the smoothest possible way. I grin when I slowly coast past twenty cars while in the slow lane before a big red light, knowing that the half-mile was done at 70MPG while other drivers jockeyed for position in stop and go traffic in the other two lanes...
I do this too, it's amazing how mad some people get by not being able to drive like it's NASCAR. Also amazing how dangerously some people will drive to get around you.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 09:11:22 AM by jpo »

DoubleDown

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 11:17:09 AM »

I do this too, it's amazing how mad some people get by not being able to drive like it's NASCAR. Also amazing how dangerously some people will drive to get around you.

I like trying to get the best mileage as well, as long as people don't take it too crazy of an extreme. I will admit to getting annoyed when some prius-driving hyper-miling F*** cruises right through a stop sign without so much as tapping on the brakes, lest he burn .0000001 gallons of gas to actually stop as required. Or going 60 mph down the hill, 5 mph up the top of the hill, 60 mph down the hill, 5 mph up the hill, with a line of 50 cars behind him...

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 11:25:19 AM »
... and then slam on the brakes when it rains or very light snow, at least in the Triangle area. And angry middle-aged women racing to the red light in their 4 doors trucks while talking on the phone. Sigh...