Author Topic: The Fake News, and abandoning politics  (Read 5252 times)

Case

• Pencil Stache
The Fake News, and abandoning politics
« on: October 02, 2018, 08:31:04 AM »
As much as I dislike Trump, I will concede that his points on modern media have much accuracy.  Of course, he goes too far and threatens the free press, but so much modern news (both left and right leaning) is blatantly biased, it is enraging.  CNN and Foxnews are about equally god awful.

I've always been impressed by this forum's adherence to an MMM tenet: not giving much attention to the media.  But I will admit that I spend too much reading the news.  I browse both liberal and conservative news, trying to get the full picture, but usually just getting frustrated with how ridiculous each side.  It ends up being a waste of valuable time... and a bad habit frankly.

My question is: how many of you have stopped following the news, and has it been for the better?

I am considering doing this, though am concerned about losing touch with the world.  A mild moderate news source for occasional updates might be the half-way point... if I can control myself.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
Re: The Fake News, and abandoning politics
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 09:17:57 AM »
I feel the same way.

I stopped following news many years ago but in the last couple of years have been sucked back into it on certain issues, and it's even worse.  I feel much happier and intelligent by not reading it.  Almost ALL of it is bias bullshit. Everything has some influence.  It blows my mind when people follow certain outlets and don't see it.

Major "news" outlets are nothing more than a gossip blog by your neighbor down the street. And are written about as poorly also. 

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 09:39:48 AM »
Unless you completely cut off everyone and everything, I think it would be impossible to not have at least a *general* idea of what is going on.

I found myself going down the negative rabbit-hole of news after Trump won, and quite frankly, up until earlier this year. It was incredibly bad for my mental health. Via social media I see snippets of major news here and there. I glance at the news maybe once a week. I avoid speculative articles or ones that are written with a heavy dose of doom and gloom. I never had push alerts for news, and I have no idea how people with those alerts function :O

My mental health has improved significantly. I do not feel like I am missing out on much. I still know what is going on in the world, but without the constant updates every hour.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 09:41:49 AM »
I stopped following it during the last election cycle. My wife still listens somewhat selectively to NPR podcasts (mostly the money related ones or other deeper pieces, less so the "newsy" ones) so I overhear some of that or she'll tell me about something. Things also tend to trickle into the forums here or the (mostly financial) podcasts I listen to. There are usually TVs on at the gym but the sound is off and I take off my glasses when I'm exercising, so sometimes I the gist of what they're talking about, sometimes not.

I enjoy it. Sometimes someone will say something that I don't know what they're talking about. I've always had this experience with sports and celebrity gossip, but something I've come to realize is that the so called "important news" I'm missing out on now sounds basically the same as the sports and celebrity gossip. There are two things going against the news: 1) Much of it has absolutely no bearing on my life and 2) when it does have bearing on my life there's nothing I can do about it anyway. Those two together just mean I could get all worked up about whatever it is and stress myself out for no reason, or I can ignore it and end up in basically the same place but less stressed.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 10:52:04 AM »
I have gone through news "fasts" periodically when it gets to be too much for my anxiety and mental health. It is all so sensationalized that I just get overwhelmed. I find I check the news way too much when I'm at work since I sit at a desk all day. When I'm at home or on the weekend I rarely look at the news at all. I think the cartoon going around that states "my desire to remain informed is at odds with my desire to remain sane" is accurate for me.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 11:28:03 AM »
Unless you completely cut off everyone and everything, I think it would be impossible to not have at least a *general* idea of what is going on.

I found myself going down the negative rabbit-hole of news after Trump won, and quite frankly, up until earlier this year. It was incredibly bad for my mental health. Via social media I see snippets of major news here and there. I glance at the news maybe once a week. I avoid speculative articles or ones that are written with a heavy dose of doom and gloom. I never had push alerts for news, and I have no idea how people with those alerts function :O

My mental health has improved significantly. I do not feel like I am missing out on much. I still know what is going on in the world, but without the constant updates every hour.

Pretty much my exact experience.  I want to know enough to know where my votes are going, or if there is volunteering I can offer for the causes I care about, but other than that, I don't really see how consuming the ad-driven news industry on a daily basis makes me more "informed."

Also, news outlets' sanctimonious "we're the voice of the people and bellwether for democracy" schtick has no currency with me anymore.  It is plain that they will report on whatever brings in that sweet ad revenue with zero accountability, and are too spineless to call a lie a lie, all under the phantasm of "balance."  It's not balance, it's   equivocation. 

News media like that has no value at all to me.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 11:45:59 AM »
If we had a national emergency and I needed to tune into one of the national news channels I would have to google what channel that they actually are! Consuming type of news is a waste of time, and bad for your mental health. They all just sell outrage, which folks tend to be buying in bulk these days.

I cant stand any of it more then a few seconds. Whats even better is when it start to bleed into your social media accounts!

SunnyDays

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 09:06:32 PM »
As a Canadian, the hyperbole and sensationalism of American news amazes me.  Everything seems to be so hysterical.  Has anyone tried watching Canadian or British news?  The same issues are covered, but generally in a more palatable manner.

jim555

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 09:10:09 PM »
The fake news comes from the WH.

wheezle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 09:11:55 PM »
It's gotten to the point where I feel dirty when a TV is on, showing [insert mainstream 24-hour news media]. It's not journalism, it's a combination of voyeurism and an Orwellian "Two Minutes Hate." I think people should actually feel bad about consuming news media. It's that bad.

So I ignore it almost completely. Things that I need to know will get to me eventually.

Milizard

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 09:39:54 PM »
+1

I was a bit of a news junkie until the results of the last election. No more npr in the car, and I've avoided as much of the political BS as I can. I still know what I want to vote for without all the drama and shit that would make my blood boil. It still filtered through somewhat, on Facebook especially, but I recently unfollowed several people and it's been wonderful.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 09:44:39 PM »
I read the Reuters website every couple of days to catch up on world news. Sometimes I check the BBC and NY Times websites. If NPR is on, I hear the news segments at the top of the hour. I don’t watch TV news unless there are bad storms. I’m pretty sure this minimal news diet has kept me saner.

We cancelled our cable subscription years ago. I’m always appalled at what passes for news on either national news channels or local affiliates. Even the Weather Channel is a sensationalist joke now.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2018, 04:44:12 AM »
I tend to mostly get my news from the (Australian) ABC, which is publically funded and has no ads. Hey if I’m paying for it anyway, I might as well use it.

Whenever I read/listen to commercial news (or commercial TV/radio) now it largely just seems crass, what with the amount of garbage ads (I can tolerate ads that aren’t obnoxious and irrelevant) and celebrity gossip and reality TV discussions and all that. News.com.au is borderline unreadable now.

Commercial news/commercial media exists to make a profit. When site visits/TV ratings are the way that a business earns money, it’s natural that their reporting is presented in a manner that clicks/viewers are maximised. As such, I’ve begun to appreciate public broadcasting more.

What’s PBS like over in the US?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 04:49:03 AM by alsoknownasDean »

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2018, 04:51:54 AM »
Yeah, I'm almost completely out.  We haven't owned a television in 15 years.  I used to read quite a few newspapers until the last election, when I went on a full-on national news fast for mental health reasons.  We do subscribe to the local paper and I skim it to stay up on local issues.  When I feel like I need information (to inform myself on candidates before an election, for example) I do my own research. 

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2018, 06:26:52 AM »
I watched American news at a hotel recently and I nearly ended up crying and shaking in the shower with my clothes on.

That shit is toxic.

Yes it is. And it is also extremely popular, which explains a great deal about our national political situation.

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2018, 06:39:07 AM »
I watched American news at a hotel recently and I nearly ended up crying and shaking in the shower with my clothes on.

That shit is toxic.

It really is.  Some family members leave it on 24/7 in the background and I pretty much have to leave the room.

I avoid it so hard I actually had no idea who kavanaugh was or what was going on until last Thursday when friends started direct messaging me about it.

As is, I'm still not following it.  Nothing I can do about it, and reading about it will just get me spun up in a fit of rage. I'm sure I'll hear when it's all over.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2018, 06:40:40 AM »
When news articles are so poorly proofed that I routinely find sentences where the words aren't even in the right order (let's not even talk about spelling mistakes), that tells me everything I need to know. If it isn't even edited well then it's not worth reading, which is sadly most news sites these days.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2018, 07:06:26 AM »

That shit is toxic.

It really is.  I can't stomach even a minute of it.  If I'm in a waiting room someplace with a tv on I feel like I'm being boiled in acid.

It is so horrible that when I think of all the millions of people watching it, it makes me despair. 

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2018, 07:20:22 AM »
@terran your approach sounds remarkably peaceful. I try to limit my news consumption but I haven't yet gotten to the point where people mention things in conversation and I don't know what they are talking about. Sounds like a goal to strive towards.

This week I'm actually ramping up how much news media I'll consume from now until early November, in the spirit of being an informed voter (edit: this does NOT mean watching television news. mostly 2-3 websites I remember seeming to have relatively accurate analyses prior to the 2016 election). I'll watch the election returns come in on Nov. 6th and then go back to trying to limit my consumption for the next two years. Maybe I'll even get to the point where people will bring up the latest political developments and I'll have no idea what they mean.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 07:47:26 AM by maizeman »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2018, 07:32:45 AM »
I’ve started reading election returns online as they’re updated on news sites. It helps with avoiding the often useless talking head commentary.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2018, 07:57:27 AM »

That is true, but does not change the fact that so much fake news in fact comes out of the media, which is the point.

It's not just political news; it's just about everything.  An example that bothers me is the terrible science news.  The reporters will report the most recent result of random study X, and try to draw conclusions from it which make flashy headlines.  It ends up misleading the public dramatically, because the public doesn't understand how science works.  Single studies don't change the scientific communities opinion on major issues... multiple studies that double/triple check and check out every little detail, do.  The public doesn't understand causation vs causality.  And because of things like this, the public becomes enraged with science, and stops trusting scientist and doctors.  And a lot of this contributed to the current WH.

This is the routine, not the norm, and its present in most segments of the news.

Khaetra

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2018, 07:58:52 AM »
I avoid it so hard I actually had no idea who kavanaugh was or what was going on until last Thursday when friends started direct messaging me about it.

As is, I'm still not following it.  Nothing I can do about it, and reading about it will just get me spun up in a fit of rage. I'm sure I'll hear when it's all over.

But there is something you can do!  Call and write to not only your Senators but others as well.  Collins, Flake, Murkowski, etc. all hold the vote as to whether that assclown gets the seat of the highest court in the land.  I call daily, I send postcards daily.  Sitting by idly while this (and other things) go on is no longer an option for me, nor is it for other folks.  Get involved!

On-topic, I consume enough news to be informed, but not 24/7.  I do know folks who have some type of news on all day every day, but that would drive me nuts.  I read both the NYT and WaPo in the morning and watch the local stuff at 6 pm.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2018, 08:05:19 AM »
It's not just political news; it's just about everything.  An example that bothers me is the terrible science news.  The reporters will report the most recent result of random study X, and try to draw conclusions from it which make flashy headlines.  It ends up misleading the public dramatically, because the public doesn't understand how science works.  Single studies don't change the scientific communities opinion on major issues... multiple studies that double/triple check and check out every little detail, do.  The public doesn't understand causation vs causality.  And because of things like this, the public becomes enraged with science, and stops trusting scientist and doctors.  And a lot of this contributed to the current WH.

Yesterday I had NPR on in my car on the drive home. They were interviewing a scientist who had just won the nobel prize in physics and she was about halfway through explaining what the discovery she'd actually won for ("chirped pulse amplification" of lasers which I'd never heard of before but she seemed to be explaining quite clearly and sounded like a really cool idea), and the reporter who was interviewing her cut her off mid-sentence to change the topic to what it felt like to win the prize specifically as a woman. Segment ended and listeners never got the rest of the explanation of what the actually discovery she'd won for was.

"Science journalism" is just depressingly bad.

NorCal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2018, 08:52:27 AM »
I've thankfully been able to keep my mental energy out of the news, without entirely ignoring it.  What's worked for me:

1. I deleted all news apps off my phone.  I don't need to see it there.
2. I came to the realization that political outrage is simply people's emotions being manipulated by politicians for their own ends.  If you're outraged, you're being manipulated.
3. I unfollowed everyone who posts about politics on social media.  Even close friends and family.  It's not worth the mental energy.
4. If I still feel the need to check news, I go to the WSJ.  I don't have a subscription, so I can see the headlines, and read a paragraph of each story without getting too sucked in.
5. I'll occasionally still check some of the more political news sites (although I don't like that I do), although I only choose the sites that are so clearly biased that I can't take them very seriously.

I still have a subscription to the Economist, but even that has become blatantly political and biased.  I'll probably let that subscription lapse.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2018, 08:56:25 AM »
As a Canadian, the hyperbole and sensationalism of American news amazes me.  Everything seems to be so hysterical.  Has anyone tried watching Canadian or British news?  The same issues are covered, but generally in a more palatable manner.

+1

It's bizarre how different US news is.

Cool Friend

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2018, 08:57:25 AM »

But there is something you can do!  Call and write to not only your Senators but others as well.  Collins, Flake, Murkowski, etc. all hold the vote as to whether that assclown gets the seat of the highest court in the land.  I call daily, I send postcards daily.  Sitting by idly while this (and other things) go on is no longer an option for me, nor is it for other folks.  Get involved!

On-topic, I consume enough news to be informed, but not 24/7.  I do know folks who have some type of news on all day every day, but that would drive me nuts.  I read both the NYT and WaPo in the morning and watch the local stuff at 6 pm.

+1 Communicating with your representatives, voting, and volunteering are healthy and empowering ways of engaging. There is a lot to be outraged about, and there are ways to effect change, but passively consuming programming that is deliberately meant to keep you paralyzed on your couch is not one of them.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2018, 09:01:04 AM »

What's that now? Oh, nevermind -- I probably don't need to know.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2018, 09:03:50 AM »

What's that now? Oh, nevermind -- I probably don't need to know.

So . . . just pointing out that democracy only works with an informed electorate.  If the electorate withdraws and remains ignorant of important things that are happening, it will not end well.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2018, 09:06:33 AM »
Frankly, this is exactly what Trump is going for by screaming about Fake News. Listen to me or drop out!

I haven't watched TV news since the 1980s. There are written sources that allow you to pick and choose and skim.

Gyosho

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2018, 09:18:13 AM »
I follow the Low Information Diet. One of my favorite posts:

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/10/01/the-low-information-diet/

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2018, 09:31:41 AM »
3. I unfollowed everyone who posts about politics on social media.  Even close friends and family.  It's not worth the mental energy.

I've used extensions/add-ons to filter social media posts on a key word basis. Occasionally the story of the day will shift and I have to add in a few new keywords, but I find this lets me continue to stay in touch with the people I want to stay in touch with, but dramatically reduces my levels of stress on a daily basis.

Nightwatchman9270

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2018, 10:28:55 AM »
Most Cable and Satellite TV providers have an unpublished package that you have to ask for.  I did that and not only did I save money, but I no longer have Fox, CNN, MSNBC, CNBC.  I noticed after I stopped watching those programs I became less anxious, less pessimistic about the world in general.  I buy a Sunday paper which pretty much tells me everything I need to know about whats going on in the world without all of the hysteria.....Plus coupons!

chaskavitch

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2018, 12:37:05 PM »

That is true, but does not change the fact that so much fake news in fact comes out of the media, which is the point.

This is the routine, not the norm, and its present in most segments of the news.

I have this comic tacked to my cubicle wall at my (science) job.  I've had it since grad school, because it reminds me to try to explain the science I DO understand to people in a way that they'll comprehend and remember, and not let them extrapolate into crazy conclusions.

ETA: Thanks for this thread.  I was getting too heavily involved mentally in recent politics, and it was stressing me out.  There's only so much I can do about it, and none of that is covered by parroting back opinion pieces or trying to decide whether or not someone I don't know at all is a terrible person.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 12:39:23 PM by chaskavitch »

One

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2018, 12:44:34 PM »
As little as possible, not news anymore just opinions and hyperbole, much better entertainment elsewhere.  Kinda scary how some watchers are becoming so dogmatic and one sided. I try to avoid the subject of politics like the plague.       

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2018, 12:56:27 PM »
Every day I get my news from CBC (Canadian national news, kind of like NPR but not just a radio station, also a TV station and news outlet)

CBC is great! The news is so much calmer than most US sources. We're lucky enough to live close enough to Canada to get Windsor TV and radio stations.

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2018, 12:58:05 PM »
I agree with you that TV news is unmitigated bullshit (Fox is definitely the worst, though I can't sit through any of them.)

But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't abandon politics. When reasonable people abandon politics, we end up in the exact situation we are in now, where fools and real live evil people end up running everything.

Oh, I'm still very involved in politics, but at a non-partisan level focused on voter rights and education (i.e., active member of the local League of Women Voters). I merely refuse to get sucked into the 24-hour mainstream news cycle of politics.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2018, 01:02:16 PM »
One of rthe things I find most disturbing is that it's stuck in your face almost all the time now. When we go to a McDonald's anymore my choice of seating preference is half dictated on where the TV is. If I go to a gas station that shows news while you're pumping gas I get back in my car and listen to music. Having when and how I receive news dictated to me really pisses me off.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2018, 02:04:21 PM »
As an American, I don't watch any news.  I do like the 538 podcast, though.  And I have the CBC news app on my phone.  In fairness, we are in the midst of trying to move to Canada, which is part of why I have the CBC app on there.  I do read CNN sometimes at work and I almost always regret it.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2018, 02:30:13 PM »
I agree with you that TV news is unmitigated bullshit (Fox is definitely the worst, though I can't sit through any of them.)

But PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't abandon politics. When reasonable people abandon politics, we end up in the exact situation we are in now, where fools and real live evil people end up running everything.

Actually, we end up in the situation we are in now due to the media inaccurately portraying reality, and to the tendency of liberals and conservatives to stay within their own echo chambers and not engage in friendly and respectful debate with an open mind.  It's present on both sides, and its definitely not just a problem with conservatives (liberals seem to like to believe this).

But yes, I do agree that engaging in political discussions can be healthy for the nation.

There are certain lines that if crossed would take me to an action, and on occasion I have debated people on things, though not often.  There is a line between having opinions on politics & knowing when to take action... and obsessing to the point where you waste a lot of time or even losing touch with reality and disturbing your well beings and others.  I think the idea is that people often go too far.

Case

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2018, 03:04:44 PM »

I have this comic tacked to my cubicle wall at my (science) job.  I've had it since grad school, because it reminds me to try to explain the science I DO understand to people in a way that they'll comprehend and remember, and not let them extrapolate into crazy conclusions.

ETA: Thanks for this thread.  I was getting too heavily involved mentally in recent politics, and it was stressing me out.  There's only so much I can do about it, and none of that is covered by parroting back opinion pieces or trying to decide whether or not someone I don't know at all is a terrible person.

This is excellent!

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2018, 07:22:26 PM »
As little as possible, not news anymore just opinions and hyperbole, much better entertainment elsewhere.  Kinda scary how some watchers are becoming so dogmatic and one sided. I try to avoid the subject of politics like the plague.     

Thank you for summarizing my thoughts for me.

I don't engage in political conversations these days because I am so genuinely uninformed by choice. (But really, do political conversations even exist anymore, in an actual dialogue kind of way?)

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2018, 03:44:07 AM »
During breakfast I read the headlines in an online Norwegian newspaper that I can read for free. After the first 3 normal news articles, it often stops being interesting and gets more sensational/gossip-like. The for more serious research articles I think this paper does a good job investigating certain issues in society.

We regularly also watch the Norwegian news on TV at 7 p.m. This news lasts for 45 minutes including sports. I find it more and more difficult to watch through it. It shows misery from all over the world, including all Trump issues. I find watching it quit stressful. When I'm home alone I don't bother watching it. Although I'm glad our news channel is serious and not fake.