Author Topic: The economics of the PB&J  (Read 19577 times)

purplepear

• Stubble
Re: The economics of the PB&J
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2015, 10:27:29 AM »
I recently made a PB + Apple + Brown Mustard sandwich.

... Don't judge. It was awesome.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2015, 11:32:53 AM »

I thought you were going to say brown sugar and I would of thought it would of been great. Then you didn't say brown sugar.

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2015, 11:43:29 AM »
I go through a 1 kg of peanut butter every month. My favourite type is Kraft All Natural Crunchy, which only contains peanuts, and nothing else. It is always at the same price as the other regular Kraft PBs, and when I buy it on special, it is as cheap as the no-name PB. Breakfast is a couple of tablespoons of PB on a banana, or on organic stoned wheat crackers (I only buy organic items when they are deeply discounted).

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2015, 12:35:34 PM »

That is so funny!  When we were growing up my brother ate PB and mustard sandwiches.  I had never heard of anyone else doing it until now. 

As long as we are on the topic of strange PB combinations -- PB and mayonnaise is awesome.  Not healthy, but awesome. 

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2015, 12:49:43 PM »

That is so funny!  When we were growing up my brother ate PB and mustard sandwiches.  I had never heard of anyone else doing it until now. 

As long as we are on the topic of strange PB combinations -- PB and mayonnaise is awesome.  Not healthy, but awesome. 

Some pregnant ladies swear by PB and pickles.

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2015, 03:00:40 PM »

When I had the PB + Mustard craving... I had the terrifying thought that I might be pregnant.

Definitely not pregnant. I'm just a sandwich visionary.

Jeremy E.

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2015, 05:31:44 PM »

When I had the PB + Mustard craving... I had the terrifying thought that I might be pregnant.

I would say just weird, but to each his own. But I'm weird too, I like mixing Peanut Butter into my oatmeal, mixing nutella into oatmeal is even better.

wealthviahealth

• Stubble
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2015, 06:39:53 AM »
Few quick things to report- I have now tried PB&J + handful of spinach = great and cant even taste the spinach.
Also PB&J + plain greek yogurt is also very tasty and a greta way to add protein and substance. This one definitely requires a cooler though.

All that said- Since getting back on the PB&J wagon, I have gained several lbs. Obviously cant say for sure if its causation or just correlation but it is a major variable that to me, seems like the biggest change in my routine. I dont think that bread or peanut butter are as unhealthy as I once did but I can say for sure that at least for me, they are not "weight loss foods".

I think I got into a bad habit of eating one as a packed lunch ( Im okay with this since its a cheap portable option) AND as an at home meal. The latter I don't think is a good choice for me as its really not a healthy or cheap option in comparison to what I could be eating at home. It also gets me into a lazy, convenience based mindset when it comes to meals which is a slippery slope.

I will cut this back down to one and see how it goes..

wenchsenior

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2015, 12:56:16 PM »

I would say just weird, but to each his own. But I'm weird too, I like mixing Peanut Butter into my oatmeal, mixing nutella into oatmeal is even better.

That's not weird, it's DELICIOUS.

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #59 on: August 01, 2015, 03:26:47 PM »

+1 -- PB in oatmeal is awesome.  I eat it for supper sometimes. 

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2015, 04:40:04 PM »

Yeah, how could that not be good?

Davids

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2015, 10:12:50 AM »
I do PB&J a lot for lunch. I am not a health nut so for me it is quite the el cheapo lunch.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2015, 03:51:39 PM »
Homemade bread. ( no knead is easy and cheap!) + homemade jam ( make once a year when fruit is on sale or from on sale frozen fruit) + on sale generic natural peanut butter

Way easier than you think.

Now that is cheap!  $1 lunch?

Alternate with lentils and rice with veg for lunches.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2015, 03:55:27 PM »
I'm not weighing in on the nutrition, I eat PBJ because I love it. Trader joes has the cheapest peanut butter. $1.99/lb for just nuts and salt.  I make my bread so that's pretty cheap. I also make my jam, which may or may not be cheaper but is more delicious and means I know what goes into it. (Fruit, honey, occasionally pectin)

Oh and the beekeeper says keep rockin the honey!!

purplepear

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2015, 08:15:27 PM »

Yeah, how could that not be good?

+1 for PB in oatmeal or cereal. Great way to add protein, and also it can really cover up the taste of crappy cereal.