Author Topic: The Dreaded PSLF Program: Has anybody here actually made this work?  (Read 7339 times)

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
Just read this article on Mother Jones: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/08/debt-student-loan-forgiveness-betsy-devos-education-department-fedloan/

October 2017 should have been a moment for celebration for those sunk by debt—it was the first time a cohort of PSLF participants, after 10 years of payments, could be forgiven. Yet of almost 900,000 people who have submitted at least one payment to the PSLF program and FedLoan since 2012, the Education Department expects fewer than 1,000 to be forgiven by the end of its fiscal year. The reasons for these astonishingly dismal statistics are myriad, but one fact is clear: A decade after McIlvaine and scores of others began paying into the program, many are only barely closer to their goal of being debt-free. And some are even more in debt than when they started.

Duuuuuude. Really? So DH and I have a dog in this fight because he's scheduled to have his loans forgiven in 2020. Every time a panic-attack inducing article comes out on the PSLF I show it to him and ask him a million questions. DH is a badass with forms and Kafka-esque government programs--he works for the VA--but I still get paranoid about this.

If 2020 rolls around and no forgiveness is given, we should be able to pay the rest of the debt in one fell swoop, although it will take our cash reserves down to $0. Still, I'm reeeeeally hoping this doesn't happen.

Anybody actually had their loans forgiven? Success stories? I think October 2017 would have been the first cohort of PSLF "graduates".

moonpalace

• Bristles
Re: The Dreaded PSLF Program: Has anybody here actually made this work?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 09:54:50 AM »
Anybody actually had their loans forgiven? Success stories? I think October 2017 would have been the first cohort of PSLF "graduates".

I'm nominally in the program on the same timeline as your DH, and I have a *lot* of friends and former classmates in the program (I graduated from a public-interest-heavy law school in '06).

So far, out of the dozen or so I know who have applied for forgiveness, none have gotten it.

Glad to hear that non-forgiveness wouldn't be ruinous for you. I'm not counting on forgiveness at this point and am fortunate that I'll be able to just pay the things off around the same time as forgiveness is theoretically possible.

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 10:03:48 AM »
https://www.biglawinvestor.com/interview-with-a-person-who-received-pslf-forgiveness/

I have about 26 months to go, despite having worked in public service for over 11 years. I think many people are also in my shoes - didn't know about consolidating under FedLoans, in deferment or forbearance for a while, etc.  The forms are available on the FedLoan page. I think as we move forward, more an more people will be applying. The requirements are fairly complicated and early on people just didn't know.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 10:56:18 AM »
The PSLF is an opaque minefield run by an incompetent, understaffed loan company, who has no obligation to help its "customers" achieve forgiveness but a strong interest in deliberately tripping up student borrowers every inch of the way to their 120 payments.

I'm theoretically on track for late 2020, early 2021.  Like many people I know, I was on the wrong repayment plan for 2 years - the non-income-based 30 year standard repayment plan. 

I also ignorantly re-consolidated after my first year, so I lost those 12 payments, even if the plan was correct.   I also lost about 5 payments over the years for a variety of reasons: (1) one month hardship deferral; (2) one month on the standard plan because my income re-certification form was late; (3) 3 months of (involuntary) administrative forbearance while Fed Loans was processing my request to switch plans. 

Finally, I lost 5 payments on the unsubsidized portion of my consolidated loan because Fed Loan claimed that these payments (made in 2011 to a different servicer) were one cent short of the full payment amount.  Mind you, these were direct debit auto-payments taken out of my bank account by the servicer in the amount that they had set.  So I had no control over this, and now have no real way to even argue the point.

If I had not re consolidated, had been on the right plan, and hadn't lost those other payments, I would have been eligible this October.  Most of people in my shoes have long abandoned this program for the reasons I listed above, and many other similar issue with the loan servicer.

That being said, if you do a reddit search, there are a small number of users who have actually had their loans forgiven already.  So it can be done.

Peachtea

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 06:31:06 AM »
OP since your DH works at the VA you can definitely ignore half of all the scary PSLF articles. The two main problems people have are working at a non-profit job that is later deemed ineligible and the slew of nit-picky errors like auto forbearance and wrong payment plans that @jezebel describes. Not all non-profit jobs qualify so people get tripped up if they think it does or employer tells them so without verifying or what all horrifying articles reported on people who relied on advisory opinions from Dept of Ed, only to later be told they changed their minds. All government positions qualify as eligible work, so you don't have to worry about this issue with the VA.

Big law investor also had an article on how current people making income based payments shouldn't worry about PSLF going away without grandfathering since it's in the promissory note (contractual arguments) and historicaly the gov has a grandfathering preference. I filed an employment credit form with FedLoan just as a precaution to have a paper trail for grandfathering purposes. Although usually it would be a cut off like all new loans etc. So I have high confidence that PSLF won't go away without at a minimum grandfathering loans from 2007 to whenever they abolish it. Although I also still get nervous everytime one of these articles come out.

@jezebel did you see the temporary fund to count payments made on the extended payment plans? You should check that out and apply for forgiveness, then if denied apply for forgiveness under this fund. There will probably be know way to appeal the 1 cent determination with Dept of Ed rather than fedloan until you apply for forgiveness. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2018/05/29/public-student-loan-forgiveness-apply/amp/

I feel pretty lucky that I'm not in the first batch for the loan forgiveness. I graduated in 2014. So (knock on wood) I've had none of the forbearance or wrong payment plan issues from a combo of FedLoan stopping some of their bad practices and me knowing what not to do from all these articles. My school also offered free loan consultation our last year, so I had a financial advisor lay out a plan of when exactly I needed to consolidate my loans, which loans to consolidate depending on if I got a private or public job, and what payment plan I should choose in either situation. That was really helpful after graduation.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 08:52:09 AM »
@jezebel did you see the temporary fund to count payments made on the extended payment plans? You should check that out and apply for forgiveness, then if denied apply for forgiveness under this fund. There will probably be know way to appeal the 1 cent determination with Dept of Ed rather than fedloan until you apply for forgiveness. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/zackfriedman/2018/05/29/public-student-loan-forgiveness-apply/amp/

I am six months into an appeal of the 1 cent disqualification with no end in sight, even after contacting the ombudsman.  I am aware of the temporary fund, but I would still have a year of payments to go because of the first year I lost to the consolidation.  I suppose I could apply for forgiveness and keep making payments, since it will probably take more than a year to get through the whole process.  I am worried that Fed Loan would try to declare my payments during that time as invalid or put me in a forbearance while processing the application.

ixtap

• Magnum Stache
    • Our Sea Story
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 08:57:37 AM »
I graduated when this plan was starting and was told to just get on with payments and check back in in 10 years. There wasn't an enrollment process, no one ever said anything about income based repayment, etc.

Luckily, I was unemployed long enough that I ended up with a for profit job and have since paid them off in lump sum.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 09:25:47 AM »
I graduated when this plan was starting and was told to just get on with payments and check back in in 10 years. There wasn't an enrollment process, no one ever said anything about income based repayment, etc.

Luckily, I was unemployed long enough that I ended up with a for profit job and have since paid them off in lump sum.

There is no official enrollment process.  You just have to make the 120 qualifying payments and you are theoretically good to go.  For those of us who graduated around the time that the plan was enacted, the details, including the income based repayment component, were published.  I was vaguely aware of it, but I didn't familiarize myself with the rules - I just assumed that if I was making higher payments (on the 30-year extended plan) than what my income-based payments would be, they would count.  I still don't understand why they don't, and I guess other, higher up, people agree (see the new TEPSLF).  The fact that you are paying back more than you "need" to shouldn't be a disqualifying factor.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2018, 09:40:43 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! Every time I show DH one of these articles he explains his whole deal to me and how I shouldn't worry about it. It all seems pretty airtight when he lays it out.

I loved the student loans subReddit and did indeed find some threads with people who had had their loans forgiven. Well, there you go. We could pay the balance down today if we wanted to but DH did the math both ways and says we save about $10k by letting it ride, paying the income-based repayment, and letting the loan be forgiven.

So we shall stay the course, hoping for the best.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2018, 10:28:22 AM »
We could pay the balance down today if we wanted to but DH did the math both ways and says we save about $10k by letting it ride
Careful, some might say you are being unethical (eyeroll)! ;-)

Good for you!  I hope it works out and is smooth sailing in the end!

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2018, 10:31:39 AM »
It's actually quite super disturbing to me that number of people who are turned down for this.  I mean, it seems like a scam in that case.

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2018, 11:15:12 AM »
I don't think it was intended to be a scam, but it is certainly being run like one.  Fed Loan, contracted to facilitate the PSLF, is a for-profit loan servicer.  Therefore, their interest is in making money off of student borrowers' loans, not assisting them in the forgiveness process.  The following stories abound in the halls of government and non-profit offices:

forced forbearances; taking many months to process income and employer certifications; mysteriously disqualifying automatic payments years after they were originally qualified (for varied, and sometimes insane, reasons like being over or under by one cent) without any notice; giving false information, or omitting key points, about the PSLF that basically boot people out of forgiveness (re the right plans, consolidations, etc); keeping borrowers on hold for hours; refusing to discuss or release information concerning their calculation of payments and processing of requests; bouncing borrowers from rep to rep so they have to repeat their issue several times during one call only to get different information from each rep; and having no timeline for any procedure, whether it's an employer certification or review of the payment calculation. 

There are many more such stories.  The company is facing lawsuits right now with respect to its handling of the program.  When the full extent of the modern student loan debacle finally reveals itself, it will be interesting to see how this piece fits into the narrative.

wonkette

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2018, 02:01:35 PM »
Be aware that you don't automatically receive the forgiveness after 120 payments, you have to fill out yet another form: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service#receiving-forgiveness

With FedLoan's stellar track record they probably won't send you the form ahead of time so have it ready to go immediately after you 120th payment https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/sites/default/files/public-service-application-for-forgiveness.pdf

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2018, 02:40:19 PM »
Be aware that you don't automatically receive the forgiveness after 120 payments, you have to fill out yet another form: https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/repay-loans/forgiveness-cancellation/public-service#receiving-forgiveness

With FedLoan's stellar track record they probably won't send you the form ahead of time so have it ready to go immediately after you 120th payment https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/sites/default/files/public-service-application-for-forgiveness.pdf

They don't send anything (unless you request it), but FedLoan has a very clear button to click to apply for forgiveness when you log into your account - one would likely submit the application there.

Peachtea

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 04:48:41 PM »

I am six months into an appeal of the 1 cent disqualification with no end in sight, even after contacting the ombudsman.  I am aware of the temporary fund, but I would still have a year of payments to go because of the first year I lost to the consolidation.  I suppose I could apply for forgiveness and keep making payments, since it will probably take more than a year to get through the whole process.  I am worried that Fed Loan would try to declare my payments during that time as invalid or put me in a forbearance while processing the application.

Ah, in that case I'd probably wait to apply when the year is up since I don't think the fund fixes the consolidation issue. Hopefully your appeal of the 1 cent problem will be resolved by then. It sounds like FedLoan does auto place you in forbearance when you apply for forgiveness, but I would think if you asked them to take you out they would have to do so. Although having had so many issues with them, I can see why you'd be hesitant to risk it.

When you say ombudsman, do you mean the one who resigned because he felt the admin was hampering their ability to resolve abuse by student loan companies? https://www.npr.org/2018/08/27/642199524/student-loan-watchdog-quits-blames-trump-administration

Have you tried contacting your congressional reps? You would be surprised how often they look into individual problems with fed agencies and how much of an impact their inquiries can have in speeding up resolutions. Although you can also note in your complaints that it's likely a problem other constituents have as well.

Either way my sympathies with all the hassle your having and good luck. I'd be interested in hearing how it all shakes out for you in the end.

MrSal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2018, 10:13:13 AM »
Just read this article on Mother Jones: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/08/debt-student-loan-forgiveness-betsy-devos-education-department-fedloan/

October 2017 should have been a moment for celebration for those sunk by debt—it was the first time a cohort of PSLF participants, after 10 years of payments, could be forgiven. Yet of almost 900,000 people who have submitted at least one payment to the PSLF program and FedLoan since 2012, the Education Department expects fewer than 1,000 to be forgiven by the end of its fiscal year. The reasons for these astonishingly dismal statistics are myriad, but one fact is clear: A decade after McIlvaine and scores of others began paying into the program, many are only barely closer to their goal of being debt-free. And some are even more in debt than when they started.

Duuuuuude. Really? So DH and I have a dog in this fight because he's scheduled to have his loans forgiven in 2020. Every time a panic-attack inducing article comes out on the PSLF I show it to him and ask him a million questions. DH is a badass with forms and Kafka-esque government programs--he works for the VA--but I still get paranoid about this.

If 2020 rolls around and no forgiveness is given, we should be able to pay the rest of the debt in one fell swoop, although it will take our cash reserves down to $0. Still, I'm reeeeeally hoping this doesn't happen.

My wife got her;s not through PSLF but through the teachers program forgiven. She still had some, and when trying to use the PSLF, her loans were not eligible and would have to be refinanced under the program and the 120 months period would start from 0. Since she only has about 6,000 left, even paying minimum, she would end up paying the 6000 before the 120 months period, so i gave up on the idea. In total she got 17,500 forgiven.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 02:37:58 AM »
Not to pile on here, but there are finally some statistics for the first batch of processed applications, and they aren't good.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-government-loan-forgiveness-program-has-rejected-99-of-borrowers-so-far-2018-09-20

Yes, that's a success rate of 96 out of 33,300 applications.

Before you have a heart attack about it, there is another, aptly named article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prestoncooper2/2018/09/25/everyone-calm-down-about-rejected-student-loan-forgiveness-applications/#13a487ab7f6f

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 09:00:26 AM »
Not to pile on here, but there are finally some statistics for the first batch of processed applications, and they aren't good.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-government-loan-forgiveness-program-has-rejected-99-of-borrowers-so-far-2018-09-20

Yes, that's a success rate of 96 out of 33,300 applications.

Before you have a heart attack about it, there is another, aptly named article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/prestoncooper2/2018/09/25/everyone-calm-down-about-rejected-student-loan-forgiveness-applications/#13a487ab7f6f

The rate doesn't really surprise me.  Most otherwise eligible borrowers in 2007 and 2008, if they were even aware of the program, were unfamiliar with the specific parameter. Also, I would be shocked if there was a single borrower, period, that has 120 consecutive qualifying payments. 

If nothing else, the loan servicer for this program forces borrowers into an involuntary forbearance when processing an application to switch to a new plan.  Since new, eligible repayment plans with better terms have been introduced since the PSLF's inception, I bet that most borrowers at least lost 1-3 months just for switching to a new plan.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 04:01:54 AM by jezebel »

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2018, 09:43:34 AM »
We're doing everything the terms of the program require (my husband's situation is pretty ideal for the program, since he works for the VA and that's actually the best-paying job available for his degree), while also piling up extra money in a savings account if somehow the whole thing falls through anyway. Our payoff amount at this point is ~$25k. We could do it tomorrow but it's sort of a "don't pay off your mortgage early because math" scenario.

So despite the low odds (and I think the numbers will get a bit more favorable with time), we're still going to roll the dice.

genesismachine

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2018, 05:19:02 PM »
I wish MMM would do an article about this as there are a ton of people on the forums that are counting on this. Just reading these posts is very eye opening. I've seen people on here with $200k+ in debt who are counting very much on this in the future. I can't imagine what it would be like to find out after 10 years that you owe more than what you started with...

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2018, 08:19:55 AM »
The biggest thing that seems to be the difference maker is sending in the employer certification annually. I get one completed every July and send it in. I get a letter back saying how many payments I've made, how many I have left, and my projected forgiveness date. The number of qualifying payments goes up by 12 and my projected forgiveness date has stayed the same for 8 years now.

I think a lot of people who got rejected didn't keep good records of their employment history and/or payment history and banked on the institutions to do it for them.

Like Stone Cold Steve Austin taught us "DTA: don't trust anybody."

Edit: damn you autocorrect

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 08:21:27 AM by Psychstache »

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2020, 01:17:12 PM »
Just wanted to resurrect this thread to say: We got my husband's student loan forgiven!

I'll cross post my journal post about it:

PSLF saved us about $10k compared to if we had just paid the whole thing off when I married Mr. ETA seven years ago. He originally owed $46k ten years ago, and by the time the program paid off the loan, he owed about $22k. With PSLF you have to do income based repayment that tops out at $500/month, which is what we have been paying for about five years. Prior to having married me he had been paying something like $100/month for three years. Getting married and filing jointly killed the low payments, but when we crunched the numbers it was still cheaper to try for the PSLF program.

In the end I figured it was sort of the same as not paying off the mortgage...way more satisfying to just pay it ASAP, but mathematically a better idea to wait it out. The risk factor in both cases is fairly low (to hear Dave Ramsey tell it, the PSLF is a pipe dream, but in our case I agreed with Mr. ETA that it was really the best option--all the drawbacks to PSLF didn't apply to our situation).

As long as I'm on the topic of PSLF, here's why it was a fit for us:

1. The loan was for enough money that it did make a difference to do PSLF

2. Yes, you have to work in a public-service job and there are strict requirements as to what counts...but Mr. ETA is a social worker, so almost all the jobs available to him would count. He has no interest in pursuing a private counseling practice (which can be a way for social workers to make more money, and generally wouldn't qualify for the PSLF). The job he has is probably one of the most lucrative available to him in his career field, and it counts for the PSLF. He never had any desire to change jobs.

3. We're pretty organized about money stuff and keeping track of paperwork is something we can reasonably figure out. It did require Mr. ETA to make a LOT of phone calls over the years, and we have several files of years of paystubs from various jobs (the PSLF program takes 10 years) and statements from HR that the jobs qualified.

I dunno, I have to say that it seems like it was worth $10k to keep track of paystubs and HR statements. Take that, Dave Ramsey!

wellactually

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2020, 03:26:48 PM »
That's wonderful, congratulations!

And what a great usage of PSLF to encourage people like your husband to work in high-demand fields like social work. I know it's got an extremely high turnover, so cheers to your husband for his commitment to public service.

economista

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2020, 04:46:53 PM »
Congratulations! I'm so happy when I hear other people have made it work since there is so much doom and gloom around the program, usually from people who didn't get their ducks in a row and were in the wrong kind of repayment plans.

I've worked at a federal government agency since before graduating so I was lucky enough to know ahead of time to select the right kind of repayment plan, etc so there won't be any issues when it is time to apply for forgiveness. My loans started out at $118k so it is was definitely worth it to go the PSLF route and I only have a few years left. The payments don't max out at $500 though - mine have always been over $500 are currently over $900 per month, but still less than the $1200 they would be on the standard repayment plan. Right now it is an extra bonus since the CARES act has changed my payments to $0. They have reassured me that as long as I'm still working for my agency right now and my yearly employment verification form shows it, all of these skipped months count as months where I made my required payment, toward the 120 payments.

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2020, 05:00:38 PM »
They don't max out at $500? I wonder how come ours never went higher. Maybe because we only started at $46k? It must be a percentage situation.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2020, 05:09:37 PM »
Take that, Dave Ramsey!

Maybe you should sign up to do a debt-free scream, just to update him on the program. :)

englishteacheralex

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2020, 05:23:01 PM »
Take that, Dave Ramsey!

Maybe you should sign up to do a debt-free scream, just to update him on the program. :)

That is a hilarious idea!! They screen the screams, though. I don't think I'd get in.

meandmyfamily

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2020, 05:53:45 PM »
I am so glad that worked out!

WGH

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2020, 03:16:31 PM »
Glad to see this worked out for someone as I am about 3 years into the program. I actually thought it was pretty straightforward as when you login to myfedloan.org you can click on your loans and see exactly how many eligible  payments you've competed and your expected forgiveness date. Just have to keep sending in those annual certification forms.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2020, 07:21:58 PM »
Congratulations! A determination on my PSLF is due any day now (overdue, but that's government for you). Every time I log in to see if they have gotten their act together, I get a message telling me I've now made 120 qualifying payments and I should apply for forgiveness. Well, duh.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2020, 07:59:16 PM »
Congrats. I am just under a year of payments away from meeting the requirements.

simonsez

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2020, 08:13:36 AM »
Thanks for sharing!  That has to be a wonderful feeling, especially with the slow burn to get there and weighing out the pros and cons, congratulations!!

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2020, 10:14:56 AM »
I know several people who finally received pslf forgiveness this year and some under the tepslf, which is an expansion of pslf to certain non-qualifying repayment plans. For other success stories and advice, I suggest visiting the pslf sub-reddit.

FireAnt

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2020, 06:21:59 PM »
I got forgiveness in March! :) I did have a thread about it since I had A LOT of anxiety the last year leading up to applying. I suggest the Reddit group and there is a Facebook group I found helpful as well. It's called Public Student Loan Forgiveness PSLF Support.