Author Topic: The Best Mustachemobile?  (Read 2828 times)

John Galt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
The Best Mustachemobile?
« on: June 05, 2018, 11:39:18 PM »
Several months ago we purchased a used 2016 Toyota Rav4 LE (36k miles) for ~$16k. We weren't originally planning on an SUV, but the mates parents influenced us into making an emotional decision and we ended pulling the trigger on it. We've now realized that we have no use for this much vehicle and are looking to replace the SUV with a Mustachian approved ride -- any suggestions on what make / model to be looking for? Are the Honda Fit / Toyota Yaris / Scion xA/XB/tC/xD still the the recommend choices? The car will mostly be used for commuting to the office (20 mile round trip)

Thanks in advance!

Linea_Norway

• Walrus Stache
Re: The Best Mustachemobile?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 05:05:45 AM »
Why not buy an electric car, or a plug-in hybrid? Nissan Leave or Toyoto prius.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 08:45:43 AM »
For a 20-mike round trip, I agree a used EV is by far your best option. Rent if needed to go out of town.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 09:02:49 AM »
A bicycle. Have you not read the blog?

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 09:10:08 AM »

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/blog/

Two of the recent blogs are about utilizing a car.

Zero are about biking.

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 09:14:48 AM »
I hope you can see that there was a little bit of snark in there. Yes, two of the most recent once-monthly rarely posted articles are about electric vehicles.

But part of the foundation of the whole concept of MMM is using a bike as often as possible.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 10:50:18 AM »

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/blog/

Two of the recent blogs are about utilizing a car.

Zero are about biking.

I'd recommend an e-bike for a 20 mile round trip commute by someone who is not in the habit of cycling currently. Not sure what your climate or commute route looks like, but I'm sure you can find someone on the internet badass enough to do that commute on a regular bike. (I used to be a wimp and only rode my bike 3 seasons until I read blog posts by people cycling through mid-western winters - I still take the bus instead when it is wet.)

If you are set on a car, then a plug in hybrid would have great low operating costs, but still provide lots of flexibility. If your're looking for low capital costs, a used 5+ year old such as the ones you listed would be reasonable choices.

John Galt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2018, 02:01:22 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. We still rent and currently have street parking so I never considered an electric / hybrid vehicle. I'd also like to use part of the proceeds and purchase an e-bike to use as my primary method of commuting. With that said, i'm leaning towards the Honda Fit / Toyota Yaris / Scion xA/XB/tC/xD approach. Now I just need to figure out what kind of e-bike to purchase!

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 02:03:36 PM »
Top choices I see recommended are a Honda Fit or Mazda 3.  I personally like 4cyl manual transmission Ford Rangers for my lifestyle.

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 02:18:55 PM »
Several months ago we purchased a used 2016 Toyota Rav4 LE (36k miles) for ~$16k. We weren't originally planning on an SUV, but the mates parents influenced us into making an emotional decision and we ended pulling the trigger on it. We've now realized that we have no use for this much vehicle and are looking to replace the SUV with a Mustachian approved ride -- any suggestions on what make / model to be looking for? Are the Honda Fit / Toyota Yaris / Scion xA/XB/tC/xD still the the recommend choices? The car will mostly be used for commuting to the office (20 mile round trip)

Thanks in advance!

I am in market for vehicle, just ruled out the suv option. Now going to get an used 2012 Camry hybrid for 10k. I already own a Prius.

If you dont go long drives and just pretty much 20 mile trip, Fit (if you like little power), Yaris hatch or scion xb (if you like the look) should give you long run with less maintenance cost. Check Hyundai Accent and versa note too. They are much less appreciated than they deserve.

CalBal

• Handlebar Stache
  • Dont Panic
    • Journal
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 07:16:17 PM »
I don't know if it's the *BEST* choice, but I am partial to the Yaris because I drive a 2008 manual 3-door (hatchback). ;) Unless you are very tall it is a great choice. I get ~40mpg, has far more space on the inside than you'd expect (it's a Tardis in disguise), the fold down seats and back hatch are great for transporting stuff! A little underpowered when fully loaded and going up a hill, but otherwise great. Good luck finding one used though... they are a little scarce as no one seems to sell them used (I assume because they are so awesome ;)...

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 03:15:51 AM »
We recently sold our Sienna mini-van and got a Toyota Corolla . Love it.

Ecky

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 12:57:18 PM »
Second the Honda Fit / Mazda 3 / Toyota Yaris suggestion. All get great economy, are fantastically reliable and fun to drive. The Fit is my choice, by YMMV.

I would not buy a sedan. Hatches are so much more useful.