Author Topic: The 100k Cash Question  (Read 8060 times)

Coneal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
The 100k Cash Question
« on: June 11, 2013, 06:51:37 PM »
Trying to think outside the box a little (for me anyway). 

Rules
Can't be used to service debt
Can't be used to purchase a house or rental
Can't be put in the stock market.

Amount of risk one is willing to take on does not matter.

Time for return does not really matter as long as it's growing.

So with all that in mind... What would you do with 100k?

Adventine

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The 100k Cash Question
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 07:22:13 PM »
You could put it all in a business. Or, since risk doesn't matter, in lottery tickets.

prodarwin

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 07:58:32 PM »
Tough rules, since I would normally violate all of them first...

I'd buy a few tools that I could use to generate income on my own time (Metrology Equipment, CAD software, a few more garage tools).  It would probably be the start of my part-time business I enjoy to allow me to escape the corporate world.

madmax

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 09:47:25 PM »
Or buy cheap stuff from China and start an Ebay business.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 09:57:00 PM »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 10:23:13 PM »
Personally: Real estate mortgage notes.

(Not a house or rental, as specified in the OP.)

It's what I'm doing with most of my spare money now, as RE deals get harder to come by.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Ipodius

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 04:07:36 AM »
Peer to peer lending could be an option - but obviously only with a small percentage of your portfolio.

madmax

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 08:17:31 AM »
Personally: Real estate mortgage notes.

(Not a house or rental, as specified in the OP.)

It's what I'm doing with most of my spare money now, as RE deals get harder to come by.

Do you have a link where I can get more information about these?

nktokyo

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 08:19:23 AM »
Venture Capital. Let the good times roll!

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 08:30:24 AM »
Real estate mortgage notes.

Do you have a link where I can get more information about these?

Not really, sorry.  Would be glad to answer any questions, but I don't have any definitive, or even good, websites that discuss.  It's such a broad category (you have performing, non-performing, first, seconds, negotiating, reperforming, settling, foreclosing, servicing, etc. etc. etc.) - so many things to know about that it's hard to link to a single resource.

Best I can offer is Google:
https://www.google.com/search?q=real+estate+notes

Second link there is to the BiggerPockets blog, which posts are tagged as "Real Estate Notes":
http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/category/real-estate-notes-2/

Hope that helps!

So much of this is who you know - I'd be hesitant to plunge in without a good, established network.  Maybe you have that though.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Insanity

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 08:33:19 AM »
Given the positive views from MMM, the Lending Club might be an option.

I'd use it to build out a workshop and take courses on woodworking.

nktokyo

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 08:38:10 AM »

So much of this is who you know - I'd be hesitant to plunge in without a good, established network.  Maybe you have that though.  :)

No. But I'm bored, I have that itch and I already run a small fund.. of sorts. Maybe they'll let me shine their shoes.

George_PA

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 09:22:38 PM »
I would purchase one of those self-service car washes.  You know the ones where people put a few quarters in the machine and it gives them access to high pressure hoses and soap.  These places run themselves, you don't have to be there in person very often (only when a machine breaks down or to clean up the place a bit). 

Thus, these make a good vehicle for generating cash flow in early retirement.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 11:07:24 PM »
I would purchase one of those self-service car washes.  You know the ones where people put a few quarters in the machine and it gives them access to high pressure hoses and soap.  These places run themselves, you don't have to be there in person very often (only when a machine breaks down or to clean up the place a bit). 

Just make sure there aren't any starlings around:  http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/carwash.asp

Jwesleym

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2013, 01:01:08 AM »
Give U-Haul a mortgage at 8% for 30 years, this will give you about $730/ mo towards FI.  Just remember it will stop in 30 years if you don't reinvest.  Your money is secured by property owned by U-Haul.  I'm not advertising for them, but I think it is a relatively safe investment with a decent return.  If you reinvest your income, you can maintain the 8% return.

Uhaulinvestorsclub.com

Ipodius

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2013, 04:38:28 AM »

Good idea - made me think of another option, buying vending machines. I know a few people who made good money running vending machines inside of businesses. You can hire someone to do the re-stocking, and you can outsource the maintenance. From what I've been told, the key for doing it successfully on a smaller scale is getting it into the right locations.

smalllife

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 05:36:51 AM »
Start a small philanthropy - if I can't do any of the things mentioned it must mean that I have more than enough.  Since I have more than enough, it's time to pass it forward.

My personal favorites: 
-buy abandoned plots in the city and turn them into community gardens (does that count as real estate?)
-sponsor biking infrastructure
-start a small Etsy/Ebay business

And of course, donate to various charities and businesses.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 09:51:57 AM »

Just make sure there aren't any starlings around:  http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/carwash.asp

I think if I had $100k, I'd buy and train a bunch of starlings!