Author Topic: The *New* Whole Foods  (Read 2414 times)

RidetheRain

• Bristles
The *New* Whole Foods
« on: September 11, 2017, 10:50:22 AM »
I've seen Amazon's changes to Whole Foods a lot in the news lately and I've been considering going in to do a price check. I've read that people who shop at Whole Foods often make better choices regarding food because of the community and image they project by shopping there. I'm all for peer pressure that results in healthy choices! Has anyone been into these "new" Whole Foods and found prices to be different enough to be worth a visit?

mcneally

• Bristles
Re: The *New* Whole Foods
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 12:08:31 PM »
The only time I went to Whole Foods was to get bean sprouts (for a recipe) they didn't have at the regular grocery store. Next to that they had lentils for $12/ lb. Many things were literally 2-5x what they cost at Walmart or Aldi. Prices would have to go down a lot more than what Amazon is doing to make shopping there reasonable.

RidetheRain

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 12:45:36 PM »
I'm less concerned with a comparison to cheaper stores. I don't expect a health food store to break down to a standard grocery store. I want to know if it matches up to a more typical health food store like Sprouts. I occasionally need things like farro or arrowroot while I'm cooking fancy. I've never seen them in a standard grocery store. With Amazon making changes I was wondering if it is even worth it for those unusual purchases.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 12:47:18 PM »
There are notably lower prices on a small number of items (e.g. 85% ground beef dropped by two or three dollars a pound), but most things have stayed the same. If those items happen to be staples for you, it might make a difference. I haven't done a really thorough comparison, but the things I noticed were lowered tended to be fairly high-priced/over-priced to begin with (meat, organic fruit, etc.). I generally shop there for items that are already cheap/competitive (frozen veg, butter, cheese, bread, etc.), so I haven't noticed a difference at the register.

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 01:41:09 PM »
I'm a WF shopper. I only eat organic and their selection of organic veg is the largest of any supermarket near me. Apples and peppers are the only price drops on veg that I've noticed.