Author Topic: that mental zone out  (Read 21555 times)

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
that mental zone out
« on: May 02, 2016, 06:58:07 PM »
Trying to stay mustachian, its hard to find an inexpensive way to mentally "zone out".  Things that worked in the past either aren't working anymore, or I choose not to spend so much on it.  With the whole downsizing, minimizing, raising an 8 yr old and a husband, my brain is just fried.  So, what works for you?  Staring at candle flames?  Drinking? Needlepoint?  Driving?  Massage?

I'm not just talking about having fun, but rather getting that super deep mental recharge.

Aaaaand, go!....

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
Re: that mental zone out
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2016, 07:04:49 PM »
Reading a good book, putting together a large puzzle, stretching/yoga.  Another thing that's become trendy lately is coloring books for grown-ups, such as this:  http://www.amazon.com/Color-Calm-Templates-Meditation-Relaxation/dp/1937994775/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1462237419&sr=1-1&keywords=color+me+calm

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2016, 07:37:16 PM »
I knit: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/01/25/the-health-benefits-of-knitting/?_r=0.

Wouldn't call it a cheap habit if you're looking at total cost, but a 20$ skein of yarn can last me 8-10 hours of entertainment, and I get Christmas/birthday presents that people usually appreciate.

sjc0816

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2016, 08:55:27 PM »
Running. No headphones....just head outside.

gliderpilot567

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 09:12:03 PM »
I will second going outside. Run, walk, stroll, whatever works (probably not driving - though if it's a nice scenic country road, well maybe.). Get your body moving, get some sunlight and fresh air. Seriously it's magic.

Lifting heavy weights works too - I got into it several months ago and it has done wonders for my attitude, energy levels, and overall well being. You don't have to pay for a gym... fill up some milk jugs with sand, hook 5 gallon buckets full of rocks over a broomstick, heave cinder blocks over your head, etc. If the weights are heavy enough and the exercise is difficult enough, you have to force yourself to focus deeply and entirely on the effort, which tends to push out all the other BS that has been bugging you all day.

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 10:25:59 AM »
Grown up coloring books sound good, my daughter has a few of those.  They're really neat looking, and you do get that mental zone out.  Physical activity is good, but for the level of stress one can have, sometimes an activity that lets you relax your body helps the most. 

My house currently doesn't have a secluded place outside to sit.  That's one thing my SO thought of yesterday.  Doesn't have to be a large area, or have expensive walls, its just nice to sit somewhere that you don't have to hold any regard for other people being around - being looked at, seeing them, just a place for yourself and the outside air and sounds.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2016, 11:19:54 AM »
Knitting, especially something fairly simple and mindless.

Fishinshawn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2016, 11:58:40 AM »
If it is legal try growing some marijuana.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2016, 04:18:34 PM »
If you are having to raise your husband, as well as your 8 year old, I suggest your husband pick up some emotional labor. Such as attending to the emotional needs of the child, planning activities,  school and doctor scheduling, dealing with the in laws etc.

funcomesfirst

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2016, 07:15:04 PM »
Grown up coloring books sound good, my daughter has a few of those.  They're really neat looking, and you do get that mental zone out. 

You don't even have to buy a whole book.  If you have a printer, search google images for "Grown up coloring pages" you will have plenty to choose from!

prefixcactus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 04:49:01 PM »
For me, getting comfortable in a dark room with good headphones and a big unending chunk of great music I love
Spoiler: show
for me that usually means Pink Floyd, iday, the EvE Symphony ore one of several other 45-to-120-minute-long-all-encompassing records I've managed to accumulate
works wonders. Dive into it, ride the waves of that ocean of sound, feel it. Then come out a new person. Just eliminate any and all possible distractions.

This one might not work for everyone, plus it does eat a good chunk of your time without any additional benefit beyond getting your thoughts in order.
So, as  another close alternative, you could go running or cycling into the sunset with those same tunes playing in your head... or without them. The goal here is to get you focused on the activity, really, and I find that music has a profound thought-modulating effect on me. It might be different for other people.

-edit-
Actually, as an afterthought, playing some music yourself might be even better if you can do it. If you can't, it's probably a great excuse to learn.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 04:54:02 PM by prefixcactus »

Kaikou

• Pencil Stache
  • Kermit is like a box of chocolates
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2016, 02:43:17 AM »
For me, getting comfortable in a dark room with good headphones and a big unending chunk of great music I love
for me that usually means Pink Floyd, iday, the EvE Symphony ore one of several other 45-to-120-minute-long-all-encompassing records I've managed to accumulate
works wonders. Dive into it, ride the waves of that ocean of sound, feel it. Then come out a new person. Just eliminate any and all possible distractions.

This one might not work for everyone, plus it does eat a good chunk of your time without any additional benefit beyond getting your thoughts in order.
So, as  another close alternative, you could go running or cycling into the sunset with those same tunes playing in your head... or without them. The goal here is to get you focused on the activity, really, and I find that music has a profound thought-modulating effect on me. It might be different for other people.

-edit-
Actually, as an afterthought, playing some music yourself might be even better if you can do it. If you can't, it's probably a great excuse to learn.

How do you do the black out text?

lemanfan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2016, 03:25:14 AM »
How do you do the black out text?

Check out the "spoiler" button in top of the reply window/page.
It has the text "SP" with white and black

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 06:01:50 AM »
If you are having to raise your husband, as well as your 8 year old, I suggest your husband pick up some emotional labor. Such as attending to the emotional needs of the child, planning activities,  school and doctor scheduling, dealing with the in laws etc.

HA HA, I was wondering when someone would catch that, it was somewhat of a joke, but my point would be that anyone you live with can cause stress, even a little.

Torran

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 06:21:17 AM »
I recommend:

Taking a news-and-internet holiday. Even for 1 day. That's 1 day without sad news and/or unnecessary information swirling around your mind. I did this for 1 week and it was the best holiday I ever had. When I came back to civilisation I was much more positive and could focus much better. I know a week isn't always practical, but really just 1 day might do wonders. I spend the time reading novels, so my mind wasn't hopping all over the place but being re-trained in how to focus on just one thing!

Go running. Such a great boost for mental energy/clarity.

And finally, allow yourself a little bit of slack :) If you haven't had a proper holiday, or even a good stretch of time in which you are not being interrupted/asked to do something/trying to check off a to-do list, then your mind could be running on empty and just needs to some empty time.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 08:27:37 AM »
Personally I'm a big fan of hiking. I live near the mountains and I can hit a trail and just zone out.

RelaxedGal

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 12:04:36 PM »
Yoga.  I've never gotten that running high, but I leave every yoga class with that blissed out yoga high.  Unfortunately I haven't been able to reproduce it at home; I need a vigorous Vinyasa yoga class - I just don't push myself without an instructor.

TravelJunkyQC

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 01:19:54 PM »
I like reading, hiking/running outside, climbing, crocheting, or, my personal favourite, cooking!

DeltaBond

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 01:32:05 PM »
Well, a lot of these mentions sound like general hobbies.  I'm talking about mental zone outs, like staring at a fire, needle point, the coloring books... those were all things that fit what I was asking about.

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 02:42:27 PM »
Well, a lot of these mentions sound like general hobbies.  I'm talking about mental zone outs, like staring at a fire, needle point, the coloring books... those were all things that fit what I was asking about.
I think you just have to experiment a figure out what zones you out. I could go run 10 miles and it turns me into a machine, no thinking required! It probably doesn't do that for other folks. My wife like to crochet. That's her mental zone out. It's been my experience that anything physically engaging enough that it forces you to focus on the work at hand, but is easy to accomplish, splitting wood with an axe for example, is great for zoning out.

asiljoy

• Bristles
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2016, 05:14:45 PM »
I think you just have to experiment a figure out what zones you out. I could go run 10 miles and it turns me into a machine, no thinking required! It probably doesn't do that for other folks. My wife like to crochet. That's her mental zone out. It's been my experience that anything physically engaging enough that it forces you to focus on the work at hand, but is easy to accomplish, splitting wood with an axe for example, is great for zoning out.
Agreed. Knitting wasn't always a mental zone out for me, but now my hands just know what to do. I don't really pay attention when I'm working a simple pattern, but I have to be engaged enough that all my other thoughts just kind of fade out.

bkmnky72

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 06:10:43 AM »
Have you read "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle?

lifejoy

• Magnum Stache
  • Lovin' the Mustachian life!
    • Not Buying This
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2016, 08:14:51 AM »
For me:

Going on a walk does it. Listening to Alan watts on YouTube does it. I've even stated at a candle, but I call it meditation :)

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2016, 05:17:28 PM »
When it's cold out, I like counted cross stitch.  There are some nice kits for $20-30 and it takes months to complete.  I watch TV or listen to music or it's too boring.

Schaefer Light

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2016, 06:32:34 AM »
Deep breathing seems to help me.  Especially if done outdoors.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2016, 08:55:22 AM »
Reading through these replies was interesting for me.  I do some of these activities (such as go for a walk), but not to "zone out."  I can't think of a time I purposefully "zone out."

Is this something everyone does?
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2016, 02:28:37 PM »
Reading through these replies was interesting for me.  I do some of these activities (such as go for a walk), but not to "zone out."  I can't think of a time I purposefully "zone out."

Is this something everyone does?

I don't know if "zone out" is really the right saying for me.  It's more like I get into really deep thinking, planning, strategizing -- more like "zoning in" I guess!  Perhaps this is called "flow."

scrubbyfish

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2016, 03:12:06 PM »
I do these, solo or in any combination:

close all the drapes and windows, turn off lights (shut out all things stimulating; maybe use fairy lights or candles)
read a book
do a guided meditation from youtube, or a silent one
attend a free meditation or hypnosis or chant session
send my kid away and spend a day alone
nap
lie on my back, butt to feet vertical up a wall for five minutes
work on a beloved project that demands crazy concentration (e.g. writing a book, etc)

Those are what give me that sense of total recharge/neuro-and-body reset, either via being in the zone, flow, etc OR via taking my brain a foot to the side of my head.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2016, 10:03:59 PM »
Hiking, preferably during a weekday and not one that people would be on vacation during, helps me destress a lot. It doesn't even have to be hard hiking. There's some parks near me and I'll just walk the extremely easy paths. Being away from people (usually the cause of my stress since I'm an introvert) helps me so much.