Author Topic: Text message scam  (Read 1400 times)

The Guru

• Bristles
Text message scam
« on: February 18, 2020, 07:57:58 AM »
I got a text message last evening that I'm pretty sure is a scam, but I thought I'd run it by the tech-savvy crowd here to see if there's anything I need to do other than just ignore it. Some background first:

A couple of weeks ago I got a text from the wife ("J") of a close  friend. I  have a group of 3 friends and their wives/ SO's who always have a great time when we get together, but we do it waaaaay too seldom. J suggested we get together; we all compared schedules etc. and arrived at a date and time to meet. This is not the scam part.

Last evening one of the friends involved  ("D") texted my wife wanting to know if that he had my correct cell #. It seemed like he should have been able to confirm my # from our previous text log but whatever. I sent him my actual #. Later that evening- later than I would have expected- I got a text ostensibly from D asking for my SS#. The line was, his financial advisor needs it as I and a fellow friend "B" are listed to be given authority to pay his bills if D becomes incapacitated ( I would happily perform this function if he asked but this is the first I ever heard of it). I am to leave it on his voicemail- NOT text it. Best part- he claims he has lost his voice due to a head cold or he would call me.

There are more red flags here than even this brief synopsis reveals. I'm just wondering what action if any I should take. I suspect the scam originated somehow in the original conversation with J and the others- could their phone accounts have been compromised as well?. I also know I need to contact D but don't trust the cell #. Any thoughts?

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
Re: Text message scam
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 08:05:38 AM »
Scam.  Ignore all texts and block the number.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 08:22:13 AM »
I think it's pretty easy to fake the number a text comes from. The disturbing part is that they were able to target it to the extent that they knew your friends number. You might want to warn the other friends on the group text if you think they'd be likely to fall for it.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 08:42:28 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to respond. And I know I should have done this first and saved people, including myself, the time but I sent a text to B, the other friend mentioned and asked him to call me. I figured there was just a sliver of legitimacy in D's request. Turns out, it IS legit; B confirmed that he has power of attorney and that D does in fact want me to act as co-signer or back-up. So- an awkward request for legitimate need. Sorry to waste your time.

solon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 09:12:49 AM »
Glad it worked out. And you were correct to be suspicious.

TVRodriguez

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 09:47:11 AM »
Glad you got an answer from your friend, but I'm still not sure why the advisor needs your social security number now.  You are not currently acting as agent under a POA, correct?  You are being named as a backup in case of your friend's incapacity?  He should be able to name you without providing your ssn.

The Guru

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 10:32:35 AM »
Yeah, I need to meet w/ the FA to see what info he needs. Certainly going to have to sign some paperwork.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 11:14:13 AM »
Why are people so desperate NOT to call one another and hear each other’s voices, or pay a physical visit if it’s important? Our cultural preference for social distance is reaching absurd levels when scams like this can exist.