Author Topic: texas mustachian help me to choose electricity plan  (Read 3723 times)

ves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
texas mustachian help me to choose electricity plan
« on: January 18, 2017, 08:29:21 PM »
hi everyone, living in plano,tx ,2 people and a baby in 910 sqft thirdfloor apartment. Currently using txu freenight plan( moved last year , signed due to leasing staff referral,burnt enough). my plan expired this month. so i am looking powertochoose website. there are plenty of plan, really confusing. Interested in two plans Gexa plan 5.4c/500 kwh-4.5c/1000kwh-9.8c/2000kwh usage and
Discount power 12.2c/500kwh - 3.1/1000kwh-7.1/2000 kwh with $85 usage credit above 1000kwh usage. very temptated to sign up this one.

Last year my highest usage was december 2046 kwh  and febraury 993kwh august 825kwh and lowest april 424kwh and all others were 500ish kwh.

have any one using like the usage credit plan and bump usage upto the level and get benifited?
Moreover I am really feel bad for over consumption

Accrorn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: texas mustachian help me to choose electricity plan
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 09:57:07 AM »
When I was looking at new plans I made a spreadsheet of my past year use and saw how that would have affected my bill.

I also calculated how much it would be without any gimmicks just in case I was off by a few kilowatts and didn't get any credits to make sure I would still be better off than my old plan.

I would look into why your usage was so high in December if most of your usage is in the 500 range.  Our highest usage is in the Summer months and 1501 was our highest for the year in August due to AC usage, everything else is in the 400-700 range for a almost 2k sq ft house. 

ves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 09:37:39 AM »
Thanks for the reply Accron..we have newborn in home and thermostat set at 74..thats spiked december usage upto 2000 kwh..I am looking coming year that baby always in home so maybe the usage get bit high..i will do speadsheet then and compare..thanks once again

econberkeley

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 09:57:43 AM »
You need to find the fixed fee and the electricity price for the electricity distributor which is Centerpoint in Houston in my case. Then, you have to also find how much per kwh electricity and the fixed fee the electricity company listed on the powertochoose charges. You need to look at the facts sheet from powertochoose in order to get that information. You can also download all the rates from powertochoose to an excel sheet. It makes it much easier to compare rates.  Finally, you need to create your formula in excel in order to calculate the total costs at different usage levels. make sure that your formula spits out per kwh rates that matches price/kwh rates on the facts sheet at 500, 1000 and 2000 kwh usage levels. It is overwhelming at first, but it will be easy after setting up the formula.
You can use the same formula for future electricity purchases. Good luck!!

Bones81

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 04:56:50 PM »
I live in Houston and switch plans based on whoever offers the lowest fixed rate per kilowatt hour in my area.  I just go to powertochoose.org and see who offers the best teaser rate and lock that in for 12-24 months.  Once that contract expires, I simply switch to the next company that offers the lowest rate at the time.  Switching takes about 5 mins online, no one has to come out to your house or anything, it's literally a computer entry. 

blub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 05:05:52 PM »
We're in Richardson and have been using Gexa for the past 18 months or so. I haven't seen any other providers with bill credits for low usage. Our last plan had something like a $30 credit when we were under 500 kWh (which is usually the case, except in the summer). We had several months where the bill was under $10. The current plan is slightly worse, no credit under 500 kWh, but still pretty good.

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 05:39:17 PM »
Wow, I'm impressed with the number of DFW Mustacians on here.

I'm in North Dallas and 1w've been with Reliant through two contracts.  There's a website called Power To Choose we did for comparison.   The less gimmicky the better

ves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 06:45:40 AM »
Thanks a lot econberkeley..I missed that excel option when looking powertochoose..that helps me a lot.

ves

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 06:46:50 AM »
thanks Bones81,bulb, chasefish.