Author Topic: Tesla model 3 itch - Face punch worthy.  (Read 2636 times)

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
Tesla model 3 itch - Face punch worthy.
« on: June 07, 2019, 11:28:21 AM »
So I've got this itch for almost 6 months. I want a Tesla Model 3. My commute is 18 miles each way and I bike at least 2 days a week and then take the train->train->walk the remaining 3 days. I don't know. I totally have the money to buy a Model 3 dropping cash but so far I have resisted. I keep resisting. But the car feels so good...

Face punch me. Been saving 60K+ every year and buying a Model 3 means relieving myself of a years worth of savings. What the hell is going on with me?

No debt. Only mortgage.

Practical Me: FIRE quickly.
Emotional Me: You are working hard. What's wrong in spending some for yourself.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 11:29:59 AM by jamesbond007 »

Syonyk

• Magnum Stache
    • Syonyk's Project Blog
Re: Tesla model 3 itch - Face punch worthy.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 11:39:21 AM »
A $50k car for 20 mile commute is {silly, stupid, facepunchworthy}.  Especially if you can bike or take the train - and do so.

If you want to upgrade your commute, consider building an electric bike.  It'll get you there faster by a good margin than a regular bike, and almost certainly will beat the train-train-walk path (I'm guessing the bike beats that).  Plus, you can wear good weatherproof gear and not arrive soaking wet with a bit of a motor assist, then pedal yourself on the way home.

If you really, really want a car, get a used Leaf which will do the same job for $8k or so.  But I don't see how that's an upgrade from what you're doing currently, unless you just can't stand being out in the elements and need a motorized recliner. :p

So I've got this itch for almost 6 months. I want a Tesla Model 3.

So stop looking at Tesla news/sites/etc.  Spend your time on something better than trying to test your willpower to not spend $50k on a car.

Face punch me. Been saving 60K+ every year and buying a Model 3 means relieving myself of a years worth of savings. What the hell is going on with me?

Good job on the savings, but seriously, a year of savings for a car?

Realistic you: "I make this commute without a car already, how would sitting in a motorized recliner in traffic be an improvement?"

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 11:44:23 AM »
Hey, what the heck?  You want a Tesla, some guys buy a Ferrari....or a Hummer H1....or a pickup for $80,000.  You would be no more stupid buying a Tesla than any of them are.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 11:52:42 AM »
Hey, what the heck?  You want a Tesla, some guys buy a Ferrari....or a Hummer H1....or a pickup for $80,000.  You would be no more stupid buying a Tesla than any of them are.

No more stupid, just as stupid.

maginvizIZ

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2019, 12:01:25 PM »
I'm right there with you on this.  I've been trying to make the math work to get a Tesla (using Uber black to write off miles, gas savings,  buying used at a steal of a price).... The math doesn't work.

Elon has said he is wanting his cars to make money for you.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/cars/news/tesla/147691-elon-musk-tesla-drivers-can-turn-their-cars-into-self-driving-ubers-for-money

Keep holding!  Hold until Tesla's can uber themselves and make you money!  You must resist for now!!!!

I want to say I read if you lease a Model 3, Tesla will not give you the option to buy it after the lease (I'm totally speculating but its so they can use those cars to start their self driving uber).

roomtempmayo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2019, 12:05:21 PM »

If emotional-you gets to make this decision, what's to keep emotional-you from making other consumption decisions?  The slope really is slippery.

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 01:44:53 PM »

But you are spending on yourself.  You spent into your stash so that soon you can do whatever the hell you want, regardless of what it pays or where it is located.  If the Tesla is worth more than that, buy the damn car.

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 01:50:22 PM »
Good points. That's why I asked for a face punch. I am well on track for FIRE. I am technically FI just can't RE yet. anyway, I am thinking I am still young to enjoy the luxury for a change. :( I am not buying the car 99% for sure.

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2019, 03:12:44 PM »
 No manual transmission option, externally other than the wheel/ rim choice they all look exactly the same - like an overgrown jellybean someone punched in the snout...... yuk

I know, i know , electric , instant power, saving the planet , faddish, etc....

I just can't see myself driving something i regard as ugly - but don't listen to me - beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all that - and i have a history of bad automotive $$ choices. Put down the car and tech magazines though...

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2019, 03:31:56 PM »
 PS - in regards to the original posters user name -- the James Bond in the movies drove various Aston Martins, and underwater submersible Lotus Esprit, an AMC Hornet , etc.

He wouldn't be caught dead in a flat faced jellybean....where's the style ?

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2019, 03:33:21 PM »
PS - in regards to the original posters user name -- the James Bond in the movies drove various Aston Martins, and underwater submersible Lotus Esprit, an AMC Hornet , etc.

haha. very funny. Honestly, I am in there for the tech.

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2019, 04:02:44 PM »

Thank you for restoring my faith in humanity and secret agents  ! 
 I suppose it would be a great "undercover" vehicle
  I see FI in 2025 in your signature line - in 6  years you could be owning nearly any Aston Martin you wanted - and have a modern day Q design you a one-off high tech gadget - stick to the plan - rent one for a week to get it out of your system [hopefully] - Good luck !

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 04:13:06 PM »
Don't do it!  If you want electric, get a used Leaf instead.

jamesbond007

• Pencil Stache
  • One penny at a time.
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 10:31:46 AM »

I see FI in 2025 in your signature line - in 6  years you could be owning nearly any Aston Martin you wanted - and have a modern day Q design you a one-off high tech gadget - stick to the plan - rent one for a week to get it out of your system [hopefully] - Good luck !

My faith in this forum doubled actually. I needed a good break and got exactly that over the weekend. I played 2 straight days of board games with my wife and daughter as the weather was hot. Never even thought about Tesla. So I clearly don't need it. No more Tesla. I'd rather buy a $60 board game. :)

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 10:50:55 AM »
No manual transmission option
Well, to be fair, it doesn't have automatic transmission as an option, either. :o)

six-car-habit

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 11:05:12 AM »

My faith in this forum doubled actually. I needed a good break and got exactly that over the weekend. I played 2 straight days of board games with my wife and daughter as the weather was hot. Never even thought about Tesla. So I clearly don't need it. No more Tesla. I'd rather buy a $60 board game. :)

Nice !     Quality time with the family definitely is better than nearly anything else .
My kid came out to the garage a couple years ago , and said , "you are spending too much time with the green car"  { i was chasing down electrical gremlins on a classic car}  - she was right.  I sold that car the next year and spent the money on a cross country family trip. Way better memories...

Ketchup - I just like a 3 pedal setup - more "involvement" in piloting the vehicle around.  That makes me wonder though if there are any "full electric" vehicles with a manual shifter ?

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 12:31:03 PM »
Ketchup - I just like a 3 pedal setup - more "involvement" in piloting the vehicle around.  That makes me wonder though if there are any "full electric" vehicles with a manual shifter ?
I think all production EVs are single-gear fixed.  There's not really a reason for a shifter (no limited RPM range for optimal power like an ICE).  I'm sure someone will come along with a fake one at some point.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 01:11:59 PM »
I think all production EVs are single-gear fixed.  There's not really a reason for a shifter (no limited RPM range for optimal power like an ICE).  I'm sure someone will come along with a fake one at some point.
I've seen a home-built electric conversion of a manual transmission car that retained the original transmission. I think they just stuck it in third gear and then never shifted.

Originally the Tesla Roadster was supposed to have a 2-speed transmission (not three pedals though, of course). But it was too troublesome for little benefit so the production model got the single fixed ratio.