Author Topic: Termites were found near my house - what should I do?  (Read 3003 times)

Megma

• Pencil Stache
Termites were found near my house - what should I do?
« on: October 26, 2018, 07:10:58 AM »
I had a tree near my rental die, so I had someone come to remove it. He said he found termites in the tree and suggested I have the house checked. Of course, I will do this but what exactly should I do? Can I have an extermination company come out and check for termites and spray something preventative? Can I (should I?) have the trees/lawn sprayed with something also? The lot has a lot of mature trees.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Termites were found near my house - what should I do?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2018, 09:21:40 AM »
Termites! I've had them. They are no fun at all and you can't afford to ignore the threat.

The first step is to hire a service to inspect your home and property. You could have either subterranean termites or drywood termites. There are different treatments depending on what type you have. I've heard of people DIYing for subterranean termites, but drywood termites in your house require either tenting or spraying chemicals that must be purchased under a special license. I suggest looking for a local company rather than one of the national names. The local groups seem less eager to get you on an expensive monthly service plan.

You might also want to look up pictures of termite frass. That's the sawdust termites poop out! Check around and in your house for it before you have a service in.

If you want more help once you've had your home inspected post to this thread. The process can be emotional and overwhelming!

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2018, 09:33:47 AM »
I had them (subterranean) in a porch post that had rotted and formed an attractive snack. Panic ensued. Then realized it's perfectly normal for you to get exposed to them at some point, so panic averted and just called out a company to do a basic treatment. They spot treated the exterior where any wood touched ground, drilled into the walls inside any place there would be access through our slab foundation (any plumbing access, so sinks/tubs/washer areas) and sprayed in termite stuff that was supposedly guaranteed for 5 years so it doesn't have to be retreated every year.

There were no infestation/infiltration according to the inspection. The porch post literally was all the termites had reached, and it was purely decorative so we just removed it and threw it in the trash and sprayed insect killer all over it and the small area where we saw them in the ground. I was told they would just go back under (the ones not killed) and resurface somewhere else - could be a few feet, could be next door, or even three blocks away. They got me with the 6 month plan because I was initially panicked, but canceled them after that. We can do basic checks for what to look for in the area, and with the inside the wall treatments, we're likely okay for a while. We'll probably have a preventive treatment done in another year or two for the exterior.

One of the other things we did was take out a wooden trellis near the porch post as it was in contact with the ground, and for subterranean termites, this and any dead wood around the yard/house is attractive. You an't control your neighbors' yards/house area tho, and what I was told is there are always going to be termites - just try to minimize the attractors in YOUR yard/house, get an inspection, preventive treatment, and inspect annually.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 09:37:02 AM by Frankies Girl »

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2018, 11:52:47 AM »
Thanks LifeHappens and Frankies Girl. I’m not really freaking out TBH, this is part of home ownership, shit happens. The more houses you own, the more shit. In 20 years I will be a pro.

So, it sounds like I should:
1)   Have the house inspected to see if they have moved beyond the tree
2)   Have a prevention treatment done to the house
3)   Not sign up for a monthly plan (I wouldn’t do this anyway )

I was wondering this morning if I should have my live trees treated but I now realize that termites only eat dead trees 

Can either of you ballpark for me what I should expect to pay for a prevention treatment? Assuming I have no damage from the termites yet and only need prevention.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 12:08:15 PM »
You won't need a prevention treatment on the house unless: 1) the tree was really close to your house or 2) an inspection finds evidence of termites in the house.

For the initial treatment on my 900 square foot house we paid $1500 to spray everything. That was for drywood termites, which are very different and treated differently than the subterranean termites Frankies Girl had. We did take out an annual service contract at $400 per year after that because they were in the house, not just near it. Sadly we got our money's worth out of the contract!

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 03:30:39 PM »
Use a reputable extermination company to inspect the house. Make sure you have no gateways into the house, such as wood piles or a perforated foundation.

If the house has termites, termidor is the gold standard & it's safe for humans & pets. Do not bother with bait station 'treatments'.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
Re: Termites were found near my house - updated
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 07:09:22 AM »
Ok, I had the house inspected and not termites were found in the house. The house is fully brick with only some wood trip around the door frames and such and it's on a slab foundation.

The company said they can do bait stations for $600. I'm very nervous that the tree had termites nearish to the house but also the house is brick. Is it too risky to forgo this? I was leaning toward treat (I'm risk adverse generally and my dad agreed and I trust him) but my husband doesn't think it's necessary.

What say you oh wise ones?

Omy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 07:16:38 AM »
If you don't have a lot of wood, you might just have somebody come out annually to check (or learn what to look for yourself). I probably wouldn't spend $600 as a preventative measure.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 07:22:53 AM »
I would also go with inspection over treatment for now.

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 08:53:56 AM »
Even around here, where everything is wood-framed, they recommend inspections over treatment until you actually have a problem.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 09:22:15 AM »
Something to mention, termites love wet wood. If termites are not able to keep wet they die. So water is your enemy here, if your gutters and drainage is in good shape you are probably fine. Most of the time the simple act of getting water away from the house can be pretty effective.

*Not an exterminator, just my experience.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 09:23:59 AM »
Something to mention, termites love wet wood. If termites are not able to keep wet they die. So water is your enemy here, if your gutters and drainage is in good shape you are probably fine. Most of the time the simple act of getting water away from the house can be pretty effective.

*Not an exterminator, just my experience.
That is only true of subterranean termites. There is a different type called Dry Wood Termites that live in, you guessed it, dry wood.

Jon Bon

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 09:31:15 AM »
Yeah google helps, apparently dry wood are only in the very southern states. So hopefully i never get to see them!

Subterranean are in pretty much every state.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 10:28:20 AM »
Ok we'll stay with the periodic inspections for now.

Unfortunately, I am both in the southern states and a very WET climate!

EasyHHZ

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 08:35:37 AM »
You can spray the dead tree near your house with liquid insecticide fipronil. Also spray the area around it. As for the wooden structures of the house, imidacloprid granules can keep it safe from termites infestation. Here is the article where all the methods of fighting with termites are described. It's not necessary to spend your money on the extermination service if you can handle by yourself.