Author Topic: Termite Protection Plan  (Read 2081 times)

Melisande

• Bristles
Termite Protection Plan
« on: July 27, 2016, 11:45:59 AM »
Every year when I have to renew the "Total Coverage Baiting Total Protection" plan from our local lawn service, I balk. I mean, I think $354 per year for termite protection is a bit much, don't you? I just got off the phone with the company and they said they although they do have baits/traps/whatnot and a yearly inspection, what we are actually paying for is a lifetime guarantee (that has to be paid for every year) that our house doesn't have termites. "A little like insurance?" I asked. "That's right" they said.

OK, we live in the deep south, so I'm sure we need to do something about termites, but this just seems ridiculously expensive. The reason we've been paying this much every year over the years is because my dear husband (who I have relieved as the person responsible for our household finances) has the tendency to buy everything recommended to him by someone who looks official, wears a uniform or has a degree. Last year, when I balked about paying this, my husband insisted because the possibility of termites is something to be avoided at all costs. I'm wondering if we could avoid it at something less than "all costs."

So, what do you do about termite protection?

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Termite Protection Plan
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 11:55:27 AM »
We found drywood termites in the house last fall. Spray treatment for them was $1600. Subterranean termites are a bigger problem and often involve tenting. This can run $5000-$6000 for an average house in my area. If your "insurance" covers this, it could potentially be worthwhile.

When we had the spray done it came with a one year service plan and we did have to call them back once to treat a spot they missed. We can renew for $250 for the same service plan this fall, which we may do. The clearly-not-a-salesman man who did our spraying suggested we renew for 1 year and then cancel, because termites are highly transitory and the cost-benefit drops off sharply after the 2nd year. They are much more likely to move on to tastier houses than hang out at one dripping with poison.

I guess I would find out which type of termites are more common in your area, if your house has ever been tented, and what spray treatment might cost and decide from there.

Melisande

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 12:11:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion. I called around a bit down here and discovered what seems to be a very good service that has annual rates at only $180, rates which include the guarantee. The catch is that they require $1,200 for a first time treatment. So, we'd recoup our loss in 9 years or so, if that other company actually remained in business. I decided just to renew the annual contract the company we have for now and do more research for the coming year.

hoodedfalcon

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 12:22:16 PM »
I live in the South as well. My house is over 100 years old and has never been treated for termites that I know of. When I bought the house 14 years ago the home inspector told me that older houses like mine don't have a lot of termite infestations. Maybe some old damage from when the wood was softer, but that as the wood ages the termites head out in search of newer wood. I never actually researched this to see if it was true, but it sounded reasonable at the time so I never got a termite bond and I haven't had any issues. Time will tell.