Author Topic: Terminix Insulation?  (Read 12086 times)

Spiffy

• Bristles
Terminix Insulation?
« on: June 09, 2016, 09:39:47 AM »
I just had my free Terminix inspection for termites (I live in Texas). The guy didn't find any termite activity, but noticed that we don't have much insulation in the attic. I of course know about this and haven't put in more yet. It is on the list of things to do. He quoted $1600 for a 1400sf area (they don't do over the garage). I did a quick check of reviews online. I didn't find any really bad ones, but it sounds high to me. It is supposed to be extra bug resistant. But isn't all insulation resistant to bugs? I plan on getting a few other quotes for blown in insulation, but wanted to see what the collective wisdom here has to say about Terminix.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Terminix Insulation?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 11:38:22 AM »
It's also an easy DIY project. Price out 1400sf of insulation at Home Depot/Lowes/etc. You can get the large batts or the long rolls. And you can even rent a truck for $20 to bring it all to your house. For ceilings I think you want R30 or higher. If you add that to whatever you have now you'll be extra insulated. Blown in is good too and can be DIY. But a little more involved (needing a machine, etc).

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 11:55:05 AM »
4 years ago, I paid $2000 to have 14" blown in, 2300sqft plus the garage.  They also put 3 turbines on the roof and 20 of the baffles that keep the soffit vents from clogging.  You want a well ventilated attic to let the heat out.  The less heat that is trapped in the attic, the less that can get through your insulation.   

Spiffy

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 01:12:55 PM »
I called around to a few local companies and got estimates very quickly. I ended up getting 13 inches blown into about 1400 sf.  I already had three turbines, but no soffit vents, so they put in 9 of those. Cost was $1450. I sure hope I see energy savings!

Uturn

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 01:48:53 PM »
My previous house was built in 1972 and only had ~ 2" of blown insulation.  I rented a machine and blew in an additional 10".   The next day I could physically feel the difference.  My a/c even shut off about 3 hours sooner than before.  I'm sure there is a point of diminishing returns, but I think the weight of the insulation would cause your drywall to cave in first. 

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2016, 02:41:13 PM »
I'm sure there is a point of diminishing returns, but I think the weight of the insulation would cause your drywall to cave in first. 

The diminishing returns start as soon as the drywall gets installed. But the returns continue to exceed the costs for quite a bit more insulation.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!