Author Topic: Temporarily High-Paying Income as *Part* of another Organization  (Read 3686 times)

Benpercent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • A Giant Doing
Temporarily High-Paying Income as *Part* of another Organization
« on: September 27, 2013, 01:05:04 PM »
I just read through the "50 Jobs Over $50,000 - Without a Degree" series, and while it's worthwhile fodder for my life, I'd like to investigate a different angle. That seems to be focused upon starting up one's own business and whatnot, but currently, at least in that vein, it's not for me.

As such, what are some high-paying *entry-level* positions available out there that don't require a degree or years-prior training, and is usually associated with becoming a part of a larger organization?

For instance, I may interview -- I don't know yet -- at a guns and ammunition company that has a kind of warehouse position that *starts* at $13 to $15 per hour, with interesting perks like being paid $200 if you're willing to work the weekend. Now, that may not be as much as a $90 per hour website builder, but it's significant to me.

The reason why I want to become a part of a larger organization is because I have some debts to resolve, and I want time to build myself up for some other self-employment ventures which won't be paying off as soon as I would want them to be. I'm currently homeless and in a cruddy restaurant job, and would prefer both of those things to vanish sooner rather than later, rather than taking months and months to, say, learn carpetry when my desires might involve selling cured meats online.

Most importantly, how does one find the ways to find that these positions exist and how to apply for them? The gun warehouse, for instance, is pretty obscure. I would have never known such a job existed until my coworker told me about it, and it took contacting them directly to find that they were hiring, since they didn't advertise it in their employment section.

Thanks.

-Ben

MustacianInTheMaking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Temporarily High-Paying Income as *Part* of another Organization
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 07:26:01 PM »
Hi Ben,

I work in the staffing industry (strictly office/accounting positions) but there are many out there that specialize in all types of work...especially warehouse.

If you have not explored employment services I would do so right away! They can connect you with temporary and full-time placement, it is a free service to you and often even temp gigs turn up full-time opportunities.

Additionally, many companies do not want to go through the recruiting, interviewing and hiring process so they hire an employment service to handle it for them. You will more than likely get introduced to many companies you have never heard of.

I hope that helps!

Benpercent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • A Giant Doing
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 03:08:04 PM »
Very good advice! Are there any specific search terms I might find useful in searching for recruitment companies? Such as in finding warehouse specific ones and so forth?

Kira

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 09:28:23 PM »
Where are you located? Manpower is a big one around here (Ohio) but searching for "warehouse staffing" brings up a ton of companies that specialize in warehouses. If you are located near a UPS or FedEx hub they are always hiring though I think that's about $9 an hour. I think that doing warehouse or pick/pack is a great place to start for a decent wage at a big company. Can you drive a forklift or have any other skills? Do you have a car? Being able to show up for a last minute shift or being able to work any shift is a big plus. As is showing up neat, clean, on time, and being able to write a coherent sentence, as you have demonstrated :)

castead

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 09:49:09 PM »
Although I appreciate that staffing companies are great, I would also be careful before signing on. My husband went through one to find his warehouse job and then realized he would've gotten hired directly through them at $3/hr more. At that point he HAD to go through with the staffing company for 3 months or he wouldn't have gotten hired. People who started working with him at the same time are making $1.50/hr more PLUS the 3 months of working like a mule for $3/hr less. So just be careful =)

Benpercent

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • A Giant Doing
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 01:16:43 PM »
I'm located in Dallas, TX. As I'm currently homeless, I can pretty much relocate instantaneously.

I'll be wary of staffing organizations. Thanks for the advice.

I think one thing I'll do -- if the gun warehouse doesn't pan out -- is call the odd companies themselves to see if I could get info on entry-level positions, such as with an oil company, perhaps.

I'm already making $10 an hour at my present job, so I'm looking to go beyond that. Since the gun warehouse offers entry-level positions at about $15/hr plus perks, I think that's a reasonable benchmark. I have some thoughts about self-employment, but at this stage it's all about raw capital.

MustacianInTheMaking

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 10:06:21 PM »
I would agree with Castead on being careful with certain staffing organizations and companies. It is best, when possible to find one privately/locally owned. We have been in business 35 years and our clients tend to be very fair with our employees and when they are not, we are there to step in.

If I were to find that I was making considerably less, for the same work, it would be time to speak with my manager or HR department about my wage. Additionally, if they were unable to pay me fairly for the same work and I was an equally (or more valuable) employee based on my measurable performance...it would be time to move on. We tell our clients openly "it is our job to find the talent, your job to keep them".

I would try contacting companies directly that you are interested in working for and utilize a staffing service for additional help. With you being homeless, a solid 40 hrs per week would be nice to count on, even if just temporarily.

Good luck! :-)