Author Topic: Temp to Hire Question - They just posted my job.  (Read 6701 times)

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
  • I'm a woman who likes caves
Temp to Hire Question - They just posted my job.
« on: September 12, 2014, 03:23:51 PM »
I came here through a temp agency.  6 month contract with possibility of hire.

Prologue:  I hate my job.  Tempered by - my partner graduates and is likely to get a good job by December 1st.

I got a call from HR at the end of the day that they "are posting my job as I am at the end of my contract through the agency, and if I want it I must fill out an application, bid, and be interviewed again".

I know 2 people who have gone through this from the same agency, and 1) we don't get a raise and 2) the interview is just the same damn dumb questions read from a form.

Also I wonder - are they posting it to the public to get out of the fee paid to a temp agency for hiring me through them?  I've read about this online other places.

I'm torn.  I have thought about a few options:

A)  Go for it ( I assume I'll get it, I caught on quick, meet deadlines, always on time, 1.5 sick days in 6 months) then quit when partner gets job offer that makes 3x what I make.

B)  Go to temp agency and say "thanks for the 6 month job, but at the end I decided its not worth it.  What else have you got for me?"

C)  Ask for ridiculous raise if offered regular employee status, with backup of temp agency if they say no.

I'm a social worker working in a system where I can do very little to help anyone.  Often times I harm them because we have no flexibility in our system.  It hurts my soul.  But I've done it this long, it has moments of brightness, and I am kind of scared to risk not getting another temp job to fill the 8-10 week gap before partner gets job.

PS - Partner is graduating with welding certifications, after having been a self-taught hobbyist for 8 years.  He's the only one his teachers are trying to place in their top tier jobs (because after all, they have a reputation to protect as well).

If I listened to my gut/heart, I'd say I'm hoping people will tell me to just quit.  There is another girl leaving 2 days after my contract would be up, and I'll feel bad for my co-workers, but also kind of pleased (evil mua haha laugh).

I know I'm new to the forum, but I have started a journal if you're at all interested in the few other details there.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
Re: Temp to Hire Question - They just posted my job.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 03:31:23 PM »
Contact the agency and see if they have anything and what they think about the client posting the job like this. If they have nothing else, then if it was me, I'd probably keep working there until I found another job. So basically, go ahead and apply for the job you already have, but start looking around for something else - either temp or perm - that you'd like much better. And then leave this one as soon as possible.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 08:06:24 PM »
Do you have enough money to last you a few months? I don't think it's a bad idea to quit, but it is a bad idea if you have no money.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 08:44:32 PM »
Go ahead and apply/interview, and also see what else the temp agency has to offer. If the temp agency has more work elsewhere, you can afford to be firm about needing higher pay to go "permanent"

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 07:01:18 AM »
Do you have enough money to last you a few months? I don't think it's a bad idea to quit, but it is a bad idea if you have no money.

I have enough "space on my credit card" (Where's the sarcastic font?!? I read alllll of the overheard at work thread)

Yes, we do have enough savings. My partner Daniel is the saver, so even though I've been the one working for the past 5 months, he still gives himself an allowance out of his savings so he can buy dinner every once in a while (facepunch into the past!  We haven't been out to eat all of this month) and not have to ask me for money for anything at school (gloves and whatnot).

When Daniel came home from school talking about a job they are trying to set him up with that is 3 months with the chance to earn 50,000+ (gross)  my first reaction was "fuckyeah, I can quit!  I'll spend my last two months making sure I've visited everyone and take my nephew awesome places before we leave, paint some rooms in my dad's house, etc etc". 

But I've been getting such a high from having 300-500 left at the end of the month, previously to savings and credit card, now just to savings, that I don't know if I could give that up.  sigh.

Contact the agency and see if they have anything and what they think about the client posting the job like this. If they have nothing else, then if it was me, I'd probably keep working there until I found another job. So basically, go ahead and apply for the job you already have, but start looking around for something else - either temp or perm - that you'd like much better. And then leave this one as soon as possible.

I think this is my basic plan.  We are most likely moving with Daniel's new job in a few months, so my biggest hope is that I can cover someone's maternity leave.  I'm  going to talk to my lady at the temp office this week.

Get this - I work at Section 8 - so I have clients who also go through my temp agency, and a couple of them are making 4-5$ an hour more than me!  Let's all hope one of those positions is open :)

I really appreciate the advice, I have one co-worker who I can talk to who went through temp to hire, but the rest just want me to stay (understandably, as their work load will increase).  And my partner would rather us be not saving for two months than for me to be unhappy.  But, worse comes to worse, and I'll just start another countdown on my outlook calendar!

Bob W

• Magnum Stache
  • Live on minimum wage, earn on maximum
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 12:59:53 PM »
C. Ask for reasonable raise.  Keep working somewhere.

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2014, 07:15:36 PM »
Life's too short to stick in a soul-sucking job if you have another way (via savings) to keep the lights on and food in the fridge.  I wouldn't even go through the motions of pretending you want to be permanent. 

See if you can find something better to do until your partner gets a job and you move.  And then look for a job that feeds instead of sucks your soul.

Jellyfish

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2014, 07:29:28 PM »
If you work for a government agency they probably legally have to put your job out publicly. I did this to for a local government; temped for 6 months, then had to apply for my own job and interview with 5 other people because the union contract required it

In many corporate environments it is also standard policy to post the role for external applicants, even if a contractor has the job currently and they'd like the person to stay.  It sounds like you have nothing to lose by applying.  If they offer it to you, you are free to negotiate salary or walk away at that point. 

Sarita

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 10:21:04 PM »
It's considered best practice for firms to post all positions, so no one can accuse them of favoritism or unfair hiring practices.  So I wouldn't read anything into the fact that they are posting it.

I'm sorry that it's such a tough decision.  It is really difficult when one is so unhappy at work. 

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 01:59:38 AM »
If your employer would have to pay off your temp agency to employ you permanently, and you took the job only to leave a couple of months later, it would be a waste of taxpayers' money.  So if you are thinking of going this route, please check out whether you are incurring that additional cost to your employer before doing so.

If you will need to move when your S.O. gets his new job in a couple of months, that is expensive - moving more belongings than can fit in a car is expensive, rent and rental deposits are expensive, buying furniture is expensive, not having an income for the days when you move is expensive.  So for the time being your best bet is to carry on earning whatever you can and stashing it away so that you and your S.O. can move for that new job without having debt worries.   If you can get something else on a temp basis, then that sounds as though it might be psychologically better for you than carrying on where you are.

cavewoman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 07:20:34 AM »
I am really loving this Ask a Mustachian category - I've gotten such a wider variety of responses than I have from friends, family, and the one co-worker I have spoken to about it.

I'm feeling rather ~Zen~ about it all right now.  I finally called the temp agency.  I gave her the details "most likely leaving, they posted it (internally) is that cool with you guys, do you have anything else, should I stay or should I go now, can I contract through you for 7 more weeks".

My temp agency lady is super nice, she's gotten my Mom a ton of work including some long term jobs.  She br-br-broke it down:
1) Because my job is a union job, they either have to hire me or get rid of me within 6 months
2) So posting internally is normal (also - other co-worker leaving, I could apply for her caseload if I wanted to, based on seniority someone could take mine)
3) She said it's easiest all around for me to apply for my job here.  She picked out the key words "most likely leaving" - on the small chance we stay, it's better to have employment.  Also she said no one is going to fault me for putting in notice to leave because Daniel got a better job somewhere else.
4) Plus the temp jobs they have right now run through Xmas.

If your employer would have to pay off your temp agency to employ you permanently, and you took the job only to leave a couple of months later, it would be a waste of taxpayers' money.  So if you are thinking of going this route, please check out whether you are incurring that additional cost to your employer before doing so.
So I didn't all out ask her about this because it's not really my business.  Often the employer has a window where they can get partial or a full refund if a temp hire does not stay.  But to zero in on "waste of taxpayers money"  OMG ROFL I should start another thread on the myriad of ways we hemorrhage money daily.  (Not intented to be snarky to the quotee, I think that way too)  It's one of the reasons I'm unhappy here.  But if you want a bit of the lowdown on how a public housing agency works, we get paid a set amount based on occupancy levels.  I don't get the true math, but I've certainly raised occupancy in the time I've been here.  There have been at least 3 people who have left the agency and not been replaced, so I'm pulling more than my weight, and I no longer think I should feel guilty about the regular costs every employer incurs based on turnover.  You know the places that don't have high turnover? I'd bet they spend that money in ways that entice people to stay.

Whooosa, need to get back to Zen.  While I hate my job, I can do anything, I'll do it well, and leave a caseload that is well organized.  There are moments of brightness as well, and I'm focusing on that.  Not to mention if I leave right when Daniel graduates then I only have 41 working days left...

If you will need to move when your S.O. gets his new job in a couple of months, that is expensive - moving more belongings than can fit in a car is expensive, rent and rental deposits are expensive, buying furniture is expensive, not having an income for the days when you move is expensive.  So for the time being your best bet is to carry on earning whatever you can and stashing it away so that you and your S.O. can move for that new job without having debt worries.   If you can get something else on a temp basis, then that sounds as though it might be psychologically better for you than carrying on where you are.
This is true.  I'm a cheap mover though, one of my most mustachian qualities.  I read this and thought "what?  buying furniture, I've never done that"  :)  We do have moving money saved already, and we are either going someplace with a (what the heck to you call that...) moving stipend (?) Or doing a travelling job where we will stay in hotels at first before pulling the trigger on a travel trailer and tow rig combo (Furniture included!)
Life's too short to stick in a soul-sucking job if you have another way (via savings) to keep the lights on and food in the fridge.  I wouldn't even go through the motions of pretending you want to be permanent. 

See if you can find something better to do until your partner gets a job and you move.  And then look for a job that feeds instead of sucks your soul.

I'm so with you there!!  What I'm going to try to do here is feed my soul any way I can, remember to laugh at what is ridiculous, help my clients while I'm here, read MMM on every break, and help my co-workers laugh too. 

I really appreciate every response!  It's funny how just making a decision can help bring zen. 

P.S. Example of how we waste money: The 3 page application I have to fill out was created by a law firm in FL (wth?  we are in IL) that does online pay per copy applications by state.