Author Topic: Telling Your Boss About Looking for Another Job  (Read 2667 times)

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
Telling Your Boss About Looking for Another Job
« on: December 24, 2015, 11:22:11 AM »
Is this a do or don't?

Most job applications throw in questions about whether it's OK to contact your current workplace (and if it isn't they make you explain why).

My thinking is this is nobody else's business. What happens if you don't say anything to your boss, but the boss somehow finds out, you end up not getting hired and then are stuck working at the same job with a boss who now feel like you're untrustworthy, etc. Not saying I agree with this at all, as it's a shitty thing to hold against a person who just wants to better him or herself.

What do you all think?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 11:31:59 AM by Inkedup »

HazelStone

• Stubble
Re: Telling Your Boss About Looking for Another Job
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 11:56:08 AM »
Most decent employers will be understanding about not contacting the current employer. Those who get pissy about it tend to be the overbearing sort you don't want to work for.

lbmustache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2015, 11:59:37 AM »
Most decent employers will be understanding about not contacting the current employer. Those who get pissy about it tend to be the overbearing sort you don't want to work for.

Agreed.

I do not tell my boss I am looking for a job, and I always mark "do not contact current employer," on the forms.

Inkedup

• Stubble
  • Striving for FI.
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 10:02:58 AM »
Thanks to you both!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!