Author Topic: Tell new boss about FIRE?  (Read 5029 times)

Aki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Tell new boss about FIRE?
« on: July 12, 2015, 03:26:45 PM »
I soon plan to make to make the transition to a new job ... I was recently told that one of new boss's concerns is longevity but new boss never asked me about it.  (The plan is to FIRE in 2-3.5 years at most--I'm 44.)  I want to spend more time with/take care of parents and in-laws, and if they need me before that, I'll go sooner; I also want out of the rat race.  In hindsight, I probably wouldn't have expressed interest in transitioning to a new job but I was a bit burned out with current one and I've heard wonderful things about new job & boss.  The new boss seems like a really great guy and I don't want to disappoint him so I'm wondering if I should tell him before I officially join their team?  If I don't tell him, does it look bad to leave new job after 2-3.5 years?  What if it's earlier than that?  Telling him at this point may also make it awkward for him for going to bat for me with his boss.  DH says don't stress about it, people leave their jobs all the time, and this is something managers have to deal with.  Any thoughts?         

highlow65

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Tell new boss about FIRE?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 03:29:55 PM »
it only makes you easier to fire/layoff if company needs to downsize. Boss may figure  1. you are not staying long term, and       2. You can afford to be layed off so you get chosen,  I cant see a situation where it would help you to share this info,

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 03:32:35 PM »
it only makes you easier to fire/layoff if company needs to downsize. Boss may figure  1. you are not staying long term, and       2. You can afford to be layed off so you get chosen,  I cant see a situation where it would help you to share this info,

+1. Telling a company when you plan to leave is never a good idea.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 03:37:02 PM »
Don't tell them. Especially 4 years out. Bad idea. You may even change your mind by then. Tell them 2 weeks out. Or a bit longer if you know they need some transition time. But not more than a few months out--and only once you're certain you're leaving.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2015, 03:51:58 PM »
Don't tell them. Especially 4 years out. Bad idea. You may even change your mind by then. Tell them 2 weeks out. Or a bit longer if you know they need some transition time. But not more than a few months out--and only once you're certain you're leaving.

This.  You hope and plan to FIRE in 2-3.5 years.  As they say, life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.  Work hard, be enthusiastic and committed to your new role until you have your actual resignation letter in your hand.  Anything else is speculation and premature.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2015, 04:02:15 PM »
Say nothing until you are 100% sure of the exact timing, and even then, I wouldn't give them more than a couple months notice. 

And there's no reason to feel bad about it.  2+ years is a perfectly respectable time to stay at a job.

Retired To Win

• Handlebar Stache
  • making the most of my time and my money
    • Retired To Win
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2015, 04:07:28 PM »
I soon plan to make to make the transition to a new job ... I was recently told that one of new boss's concerns is longevity but new boss never asked me about it... I probably wouldn't have expressed interest in transitioning to a new job but I was a bit burned out with current one and I've heard wonderful things about new job & boss.  The new boss seems like a really great guy and I don't want to disappoint him so I'm wondering if I should tell him before I officially join their team?  If I don't tell him, does it look bad to leave new job after 2-3.5 years?  What if it's earlier than that? Telling him at this point may also make it awkward for him for going to bat for me with his boss.  DH says don't stress about it, people leave their jobs all the time, and this is something managers have to deal with.  Any thoughts?

Your husband is absolutely spot on here.  Take it from me as a former employee AND employer.  You pays your money and you takes your chances, as they say.

Seriously, no employer gives any longevity guarantees to employees, so there's no logical reason for it to be any differently in the reverse direction.

If you find that you really like your new boss and job, you can always choose to stay longer.  But you may not have that option if you're already expected to be leaving the job.  That expectation will also lose you promotions, perks and interesting assignments which will go instead to someone else who is expected to be staying.  Even if there is no guarantee whatsoever that they are actually going to.

And a concern about "looking bad" because you leave your job sooner than management expected is really, really misplaced.

Do what's right for you and in your best interest.

Good luck.

cchrissyy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2015, 05:06:48 PM »
Also, since you are thinking in terms of years, there is no way to know if New Boss will still be working there at the time you hope to finish.   S/he could be promoted, or change companies, retire, or even die. It's years from now...   no, don't bring it up!

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 05:12:04 PM »
And a concern about "looking bad" because you leave your job sooner than management expected is really, really misplaced.

Especially since you by definition won't want to work there anymore.

aschmidt2930

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2015, 05:43:54 PM »
Absolutely not.  In today's world, leaving after two to three and a half years isn't abnormal or seen as "jumping ship."  Three years is a pretty typical stint in a job.  It simply cannot benefit you, and you don't owe the new boss that type of notice.

Aki

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 06:39:59 PM »
Thanks for the comments.  I'm in state gov't so layoffs aren't a concern.  I'm certain I won't stay past 3.5 and at this point I'm hoping to make it through 2-2.5.  The consensus seems to be don't say anything.  I've been at my current job for nearly 15 and didn't know that staying on for 2 isn't unusual.         

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2015, 07:45:10 PM »
No. Absolutely don't mention it.

LeRainDrop

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 09:13:42 PM »
Definitely don't say anything until you are ready to go.  To do so now would only cast a shadow over you -- quality of assignments given, boss/co-worker perceptions, etc. -- out of over-concern for your employer.  This actually reminds me of some commercial playing lately about a girl who gets hired and immediately gives her 15-year notice of retirement and they bring in the cake to celebrate.  I have no idea what the commercial is for, but yeah, don't be like that girl.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 09:16:43 PM by LeRainDrop »

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!