Author Topic: Tell me that's its dumb to get iPhone 5S  (Read 19328 times)

MissGina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Tell me that's its dumb to get iPhone 5S
« on: September 28, 2013, 08:12:31 PM »
Even though I'm debt free and could afford it, please tell me that it's dumb to be wasting money every month on a cell phone plan that I barely use. I use about 200 minutes a month 300 text messages and less than 1GB of data. Also the new phone even though my job would reimburse me $250 for it, is not worth it. I already have an iPad too.

My contract with Verizon is up next month and I would be free to switch to a prepaid carrier.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
Re: Tell me that's its dumb to get iPhone 5S
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 08:27:56 PM »
OK, it's dumb to get an iPhone.

To the reasons you've stated, add Apple's OS upgrade that is apparently causing motion sickness in a significant fraction of users: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/27/ios-7-motion-sickness-nausea

Kira

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 08:56:18 PM »
If your job would reimburse you $250 for an iPhone, would they reimburse you $250 for something else that you could use with a prepaid carrier? If you can get a truly free new phone, might be worth it to do that and then you can sell your old one or just have it for a spare. Hate to pass up free stuff.

If they won't, and you already have an iPhone (which is what I'm assuming) you could sell it on eBay and buy a phone that's compatible with whatever prepaid carrier you want. iPhones hold value reasonably well so you should be able to get something, and then you can have your pick of carriers.

MissGina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 09:14:07 PM »
If your job would reimburse you $250 for an iPhone, would they reimburse you $250 for something else that you could use with a prepaid carrier? If you can get a truly free new phone, might be worth it to do that and then you can sell your old one or just have it for a spare. Hate to pass up free stuff.

If they won't, and you already have an iPhone (which is what I'm assuming) you could sell it on eBay and buy a phone that's compatible with whatever prepaid carrier you want. iPhones hold value reasonably well so you should be able to get something, and then you can have your pick of carriers.

Yes, they will reimburse me for any phone or tablet up to $250. I really don't want to pass up the free money either! I already have a iPhone and was thinking of getting a prepaid for my Mom to use that $250!

I hope Verizon unlocks my iPhone so I can use it with a prepaid carrier and not have to buy another phone just to use as prepaid for myself.

ketchup

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 09:21:46 PM »
It's dumb to get an iPhone 5S.  In my mind, there hasn't been anything significant or new in the smartphone world since the iPhone 4 / Galaxy S II era.  And I'm still rocking a Galaxy S I I got for $20 from a coworker a few months back.  Smartphones depreciate faster than cars.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 09:42:50 PM »
I say use the $250 to get whatever you want, but NOT anything that comes with a contractual obligation.  ie NOT an iphone 5s. 

What's the "minimum" total monthly plan these days for one of those?  $75?  In two years that means you'll be paying well over $1500 for your "free" phone.  That's crazy.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 10:11:42 PM »
MissGina, I'm gonna leave a couple links for you just to start with:

http://www.techmeshugana.com/2013/01/are-iphones-worth-it/
http://www.techmeshugana.com/2013/05/how-to-save-money-with-an-iphone/

...read em? Good. Let's keep going!

New and carrier unlocked, the iPhone 5s starts at $650 for the 16GB model, going all the way up to $850 for the 64GB model before sales tax. Ask yourself, do you actually need a cell phone that costs as much money as some families lifetime enslavement debts in the third world? (Never mind the source of some of the rare earth metals used in phone production.)

But subsidy prices with contracts! Only $200 to $400 instead! Such a deal! Let's be realistic and do some math. You cut out your data habit with your remaining text and minute usage numbers, you're officially in the $15-20/month price range with most MVNOs. The average monthly cost for most subsidized iPhone users? Over $100 a month. Have some dirty napkin math:

New iPhone with subsidy over two years: $100 x 24 = $2400. $2400 + $200 = $2600
New iPhone without subsidy and data over two years: $20 x 24 = $480. $480 + $650 = $1130
Savings of purchasing over contract: $1470

Now imagine how much you'd save if you didn't buy the phone at all (even counting your $250 phone credit). Also, your data habit is costing you an arm and a leg. On that note, let me quote Paul der Krake from a PM he sent me a couple days ago (hope you don't mind, dude, but it's good):

Quote from: Paul der Krake
Thanks to your pointers I was able to download all the google maps for a 20 mile radius offline and I don't even drive my car that far! Seriously, who needs data plans. I feel like I've finally joined the 21st century.

Indeed! We have all these smartphones with massive gigabytes of data storage on board and processing power that even shames some desktops from the past decade. What is more awesomely futuristic than being able to use this thing for all the features it's capable of without needing an expensive data tether? The future is now, and these phones keep the financial viability of sneakernet alive in the era of information overload. That should be 'effing awesome and an excuse to save even more money, not as a reason to try and justify spending an extra $30+ a month for an extra gigabyte or two of data delivered through the cellular network to you outside of your home and office where you already have far greater data access for far less.

You also mentioned you already own an iPhone. Please, do tell us exactly what key feature you desperately need in your professional life that this model does better than the one you already have. And don't tell me it's the fingerprint scanner, the lightning connector, the interface "improvements", the GPS map functionality, or the social culture surrounding the device.

So... still want an iPhone 5s now?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 10:13:34 PM by I.P. Daley »

livetogive

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 10:30:21 PM »
I used to have an iPhone 5 with an $83/mo bill.  Now I have a used HTC One with a $40/mo prepaid plan and a $24 Corp reimbursement which gives me a $16/mo bill. 

I have zero desire to go back and even less to do the same plan with an iPhone 5.  Buy a used Nexus 4 or wait for the new nexus and never look back.

msilenus

• Pencil Stache

JR

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 06:30:12 AM »
Republic Wireless will start offering the Moto X soon for $300 with $25/month service (no contract). Watch some Youtube reviews on the Moto X I personally think it looks pretty cool.

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 06:44:47 AM »
Even though I'm debt free and could afford it, please tell me that it's dumb to be wasting money every month on a cell phone plan that I barely use. I use about 200 minutes a month 300 text messages and less than 1GB of data. Also the new phone even though my job would reimburse me $250 for it, is not worth it. I already have an iPad too.

My contract with Verizon is up next month and I would be free to switch to a prepaid carrier.

Given your usage and that you have Verizon you may want to check out Page Plus and their 12 plan. 250 minutes, 250 texts, and 10MB of data. Now the data is probably much less than what you're used to but you can learn to adjust.

Also it's dumb to get an iPhone 5S.

fiveoh

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 07:07:47 AM »
What model is your current iphone?  I'm going to go against the grain here and say if you have an iphone4 or older you should upgrade, especially since your job pays $250 of it.  :)   However don't sign up for a service plan, move your iphone service over to air voice wireless or an equivalent.   

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 07:22:05 AM »
Republic Wireless will start offering the Moto X soon for $300 with $25/month service (no contract).

*sigh*

https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/communications-tech-isps-voip-cell/msg21151/#msg21151
https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/share-your-badassity/communications-tech-isps-voip-cell/msg141369/#msg141369
https://community.republicwireless.com/ideas/1084
http://republic-wireless.wikia.com/wiki/The_Complete_List_of_Caveats
http://www.republicwireless.com/legal

Math and reading skills never do much for Republic's actual "value" when you research.

Watch some Youtube reviews on the Moto X I personally think it looks pretty cool.

Yes. We should totally make all our purchasing decisions on expensive electronics based on how "cool" it looks.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 07:32:11 AM by I.P. Daley »

sleepyguy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 07:39:58 AM »
Dumb because at the end of the day is a damn phone... any other free phone can do the same thing.  You are buying a Prada purse pretty much.

MrsPete

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 09:31:27 AM »
Fill in the blank:  If I owned this phone, my life would be better because ___________. 

Or, a similar question:  5-10 years from now, this decision will matter because __________. 

Are these worthwhile answers? 
If a friend gave you these answers, would you agree or think he was rationalizing an expensive purchase? 

The one thing on this thread that is remotely convincing to me is the idea that IF the $250 would totally pay for the phone, you could sell your current phone and "be ahead. 

Hugh H

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2013, 09:44:10 AM »
As a technophile, "Mustachianism" often pains me deeply :(

I've always been Mustachian/frugal/etc… but I can appreciate fine pieces of technology, although I understand the reality is none of this is a "need". The way people rail against these technological leaps is sad nonetheless.

onehappypanda

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2013, 10:20:26 AM »
Well, I can't tell you what to do. But I will say that my experience is that it's easy to get sucked into the "sexy new technology" buzz when something like this comes out, and forget to think about whether it'll actually add enough utility or joy to your life to be worth the additional cost.

My experience: I got a shiny new iPhone 4S (and the contract to go with it) and ended up regretting it. I resented the $80 a month I was paying for my contract and couldn't get it any lower. I looked up prepaid plans but couldn't find one that would work with a Verizon iPhone. Just this weekend I sold my iPhone via Craigslist after purchasing a secondhand Droid and hooking it up with Page Plus, and I feel so much more FREE now. Being contract-free is awesome, and the $50/month I save on the plain is worth the relatively small sacrifice of giving up the iPhone. (FWIW, many people have apparently hooked an iPhone 4 up to Page Plus even though it's technically not allowed. I chose not to go that route because I'm too much of a rule-follower :-P But it's something to consider).

But I will be the first to admit that I'm not a "tech person". I liked the iPhone because it worked so smoothly and, yeah, looked really nice. But ultimately it didn't have much functionality that I can't get with a Droid and a much cheaper plan - the Droid I have definitely doesn't work as nicely, but it's just as functional. I also don't use a ton of data, which makes a difference - the Talk 'n Text 1200 from Page Plus has 500MB of data, which is plenty of data for my daily use.

Do the math to decide if it's worth it to you - what would the Verizon plan cost you compared to the cheapest prepaid plan that would work for your level of usage? For me, it was the difference between $80/month at Verizon and $30 a month at Page Plus. That was $600 a year just for the plan - and since I'm not a huge tech person, I decided that I'd rather take that $600 and put it toward something that brings me more happiness. So when you add up the cost of the phone + the additional cost of the plan and look at it monthly or annually, is it worth it to you?

Also remember - you can always keep your old phone on a prepaid plan while you take some time to decide what you want to do. There's hype for the new iPhone right now, but it isn't going to disappear any time soon. And since you won't be locked in to a contract, if you ultimately decide that you DO want to go back to the fancier phone and the contract, you can just do it. That's one of the nicest things about not being on contract, is you don't get stuck in a plan you don't want.

No Name Guy

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2013, 11:14:32 AM »

Tell me that's its dumb to get iPhone 5S

OK, will do.  IT'S FUCKING INSANELY DUMB to get an iPhone 5S.

There.  Happy?  :-)

See / look up hedonistic adaptation as another reason not to get the stupid thing.  (Says the person who is fine with their 4+ year old non iCrap "obsolete" phone, cracked but still functional screen, that still will do more than I ever need it to).

Oh - if work gave you $5000 to help buy a brand new F-350 dualie diesel truck, and required you to insure it yourself, and pay $400 / month for a pre paid all in maintenance plan if you used it or not, would you?  I'd hope not, since in spite of the subsidy, it would still be a ridiculously over priced vehicle with way more capability than 99.5% of the population actually could fully utilize.  Getting $250 from work for the latest shiny bauble from Apple is no different.

Stick with your current phone.  If it ain't broke, why get rid of it.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2013, 12:10:44 PM »
but what if i want a blue smartphone

JR

• Stubble
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 07:12:08 PM »

Watch some Youtube reviews on the Moto X I personally think it looks pretty cool.

Yes. We should totally make all our purchasing decisions on expensive electronics based on how "cool" it looks.

Don't be a dick. If I was referring to the aesthetics of the phone I would have told them to look at pictures of it.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 07:43:00 PM »
Don't be a dick.

Don't be a thin skinned consumerist.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2013, 08:57:50 PM »
but what if i want a blue smartphone

Can of spray paint, about $2.99 at Home Depot :-)

Do I care if it looks cool?  No, what matters is 1) Does it do stuff for me that I need/want to do? 2) Can I not do this stuff more cheaply & conveniently some other way?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 09:03:02 PM by Jamesqf »

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 10:07:19 PM »
Nobody really needs an iPhone, period. If you think it's worth the exorbitant price for the few frills it gives you over your current phone, that's cool... I'm still rocking a pre-pay flip phone. Yes, there are others out there who actually live without smart phones.

Crazy. Buy what you want... but remember, it's just a phone. If that's an area of your life you feel like spending money on, go for it.

Living without a data plan hanging over your head is pretty nice, too.

johnjm22

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 10:35:02 PM »
It is dumb to get an iPhone 5S.  You should get a Droid instead. :)

in2themild

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Taking a year off at 29 to travel the country
    • in2themild
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 11:00:40 PM »
Dumb.  Just stupid and terrible, really.  Please tell us that you did not go forward with this purchase.

JR

• Stubble
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2013, 08:06:37 AM »
Don't be a dick.

I am a terrible consumerist when it comes to cell phones considering I am rocking a SGH-A157 flip phone that I purchased for $15 brand new.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 09:26:59 AM »
Don't be a dick.

I am a terrible consumerist when it comes to cell phones considering I am rocking a SGH-A157 flip phone that I purchased for $15 brand new.

hybrid

• Handlebar Stache
  • A hybrid of MMM and thoughtful consumer.
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 11:09:56 AM »
I work with folks who do need access to their email 24/7 (lawyers).  Their smartphone is a tool for them.  There are other folks in the world who need them as well (Mustachian realtor buddy of mine is about to break down and get one, because he needs mobile Internet access when showing homes with clients).

For most folks though, it's just a toy.  If you want an expensive toy then you sure don't need our permission to get it.  But you won't get much support for that decision either.

onehappypanda

• Stubble
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2013, 04:39:57 PM »
I work with folks who do need access to their email 24/7 (lawyers).  Their smartphone is a tool for them.  There are other folks in the world who need them as well (Mustachian realtor buddy of mine is about to break down and get one, because he needs mobile Internet access when showing homes with clients).

For most folks though, it's just a toy.  If you want an expensive toy then you sure don't need our permission to get it.  But you won't get much support for that decision either.

This is a good argument. I will add to it: don't confuse "a smartphone will be useful" with "the newest iPhone will be useful". That's what I did and that's how I ended up paying too much for a really nice smartphone and regretting it.

I have come to realize that while a smartphone legitimately adds utility to my life, my cheap secondhand Android and $30/month Page Plus plan provides me with the necessary level of utility I need at a much smaller price than the iPhone and $80/month Verizon plan I used to have. The pluses of the iPhone, if I'm being honest, were mostly aesthetic and enjoyability of use. But really, that enjoyability of use didn't add to the utility, and when I considered them separately, I realized that it wasn't worth the extra money to me.

When you do the math, be honest about what level of functionality you'll really use and how much happiness it'll really bring you. That will tell you if it's worth it to you.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2013, 02:12:31 PM »

This is a good argument. I will add to it: don't confuse "a smartphone will be useful" with "the newest iPhone will be useful". That's what I did and that's how I ended up paying too much for a really nice smartphone and regretting it.

I have come to realize that while a smartphone legitimately adds utility to my life, my cheap secondhand Android and $30/month Page Plus plan provides me with the necessary level of utility I need at a much smaller price than the iPhone and $80/month Verizon plan I used to have. The pluses of the iPhone, if I'm being honest, were mostly aesthetic and enjoyability of use. But really, that enjoyability of use didn't add to the utility, and when I considered them separately, I realized that it wasn't worth the extra money to me.

When you do the math, be honest about what level of functionality you'll really use and how much happiness it'll really bring you. That will tell you if it's worth it to you.

Two reasons I need a smartphone (currently an overpriced iPhone 5 contract through AT&T, but I did get it refurbished for 100 bucks a year ago):

1 Camera - we have an infant and love taking good quality pictures with our phones.  Saves us from having to bring tons of gear.  I guess this isn't really a NEED though, but with other services, we wouldn't be able to send pic's over mms.
2 eBay.  I buy and re-sell online and use my phone for research on the go.  I don't pay for the phone specifically, but in the future I plan to use money from eBay to cover the costs.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2013, 02:25:10 PM »

Two reasons I need a smartphone (currently an overpriced iPhone 5 contract through AT&T, but I did get it refurbished for 100 bucks a year ago):

1 Camera - we have an infant and love taking good quality pictures with our phones.  Saves us from having to bring tons of gear.  I guess this isn't really a NEED though, but with other services, we wouldn't be able to send pic's over mms.
2 eBay.  I buy and re-sell online and use my phone for research on the go.  I don't pay for the phone specifically, but in the future I plan to use money from eBay to cover the costs.

I was taking digital pictures of my kids and selling on ebay years before smartphones were invented... just saying... ;)

galliver

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2013, 02:41:31 PM »
I hope Verizon unlocks my iPhone so I can use it with a prepaid carrier and not have to buy another phone just to use as prepaid for myself.

Random suggestion: if you find them resistant, you could try telling them you're going for an extended stay in another country and plan to get a local SIM card/plan. Granted, my experience was 2 years ago, with a dumbphone, and toward the end of my 2yr contract.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2013, 02:44:20 PM »

Eh.

For the same cost as that contract, you can get:

- Entry level dSLR and a pair of kit lenses that are really excellent for the price: $300 + $70 + $100 =~ $500
- Old smartphone or dumbphone, which should be under $20/month
- Previous-generation tablet with some data if you go the dumbphone route =~ $100-200

And you'll get way better pictures, and a better ebay interface.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2013, 03:02:53 PM »
You'll get way better pictures with a $100 point & shoot digital.  I'd really like a DSLR, but then I remember that I can fit current camera & wallet in a belt pouch, or the waist pocket on my backpack.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2013, 03:05:11 PM »
That is true. If you don't know how to use a dSLR you'll end up taking worse pictures than with a P&S. My apologies.

So I'll amend that: You can buy a decent P&S for $100, a nicer one for $300, or a nice mirrorless camera for $500 to give near-dSLR quality at a much smaller cost and size and without the complexity.

ritchie70

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2013, 03:50:03 PM »

Let us know if they do that. It's my impression that Verizon never unlocks an iPhone for use with other US carriers, despite newer iPhones all being the same in terms of radio support.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2013, 10:35:14 PM »
That is true. If you don't know how to use a dSLR you'll end up taking worse pictures than with a P&S. My apologies.

Just to clarify: I meant that you'd get better pictures with the P&S than with the smartphone camera, not that the P&S would give better quality than a dSLR.  But since most of my pictures are taken when I'm out hiking/biking/riding the horse or some such activity, the P&S compactness is the deciding factor.  Doesn't matter what the dSLR's potential quality is, if I don't have it along because of its bulk :-)

Hamster

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2013, 11:00:00 PM »
I was taking digital pictures of my kids and selling on ebay years before smartphones were invented... just saying... ;)
As mustachinan as it may be, trafficking children on e-bay is considered illegal, or at least very frowned upon.

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2013, 06:05:17 AM »
As mustachinan as it may be, trafficking children on e-bay is considered illegal, or at least very frowned upon.

Aw, man....

(*disclaimer: the previous post is in no way intended to be taken seriously in any way, shape, or form)

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2013, 10:20:31 AM »
Just to clarify: I meant that you'd get better pictures with the P&S than with the smartphone camera, not that the P&S would give better quality than a dSLR.  But since most of my pictures are taken when I'm out hiking/biking/riding the horse or some such activity, the P&S compactness is the deciding factor.  Doesn't matter what the dSLR's potential quality is, if I don't have it along because of its bulk :-)

The best camera is the one you have. 100%. Shoot on!

onehappypanda

• Stubble
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2013, 08:34:39 PM »

Like others have mentioned, cameras and eBay have both predated smartphones. You don't "need a smarphone" for either function, and you certainly don't need the priciest phone on an expensive plan for either function. You may want that, and be willing to pay for it, but don't call it a need.

This goes back to the exact point I was trying to make there: even if a smartphone offers you some utility, a really expensive phone with a really expensive plan doesn't necessarily offer MORE utility. A $30/month Page Plus plan gives me the same utility as your overpriced AT&T plan, and my Android takes pretty good pictures too. I can actually send pictures more easily now than I could with my iPhone, as it seems more compatible with other people's phones and emails.

JPinDC

• Stubble
« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2013, 08:23:21 AM »
Will your work reimburse any of the monthly subscription fees, or just the cost of the original phone?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2013, 08:55:38 AM »
People still use cellphones?  When will this silly fad end?

.22guy

• Stubble
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2013, 09:55:44 AM »

That sounds a little like those people that said TV was a fad and would never catch on.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2013, 12:42:07 PM »

When I can get a land line for less than $7/month :-)

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2013, 09:09:15 AM »

. . . I pay 8.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2013, 08:35:24 AM »

I'm sure you were.  But this is all one device!  And on top of that, I haven't figured out how to sell digital pictures of my kid on eBay yet...

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2013, 08:36:48 AM »

Eh.

- Entry level dSLR and a pair of kit lenses that are really excellent for the price: $300 + $70 + $100 =~ $500
- Previous-generation tablet with some data if you go the dumbphone route =~ $100-200

I don't care about the eBay interface on the phone other than using it while i'm out purchasing.  It helps with the quick research aspect!

FunkyStickman

• Pencil Stache
    • Living Outside the Box
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2013, 08:58:55 AM »

Eh.

I don't care about the eBay interface on the phone other than using it while i'm out purchasing.  It helps with the quick research aspect!

I think the general consensus is that you don't specifically need an iphone to do research for ebay. You could use an aircard and a laptop, or even get a cheap phone that does data tethering. Basically, there isn't anything the iphone does that you can't do better and cheaper with something else.

Jamesqf

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2013, 11:59:33 AM »

. . . I pay 8.

If I could have gotten a land line for that, I wouldn't have a cell.  What did it for me was when the local phone company jacked the price up from about $25/month to $32.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!