Author Topic: Tell me how to quit and leave the bridge in colorful flames  (Read 21131 times)

Slee_stack

• Pencil Stache
Re: Tell me how to quit and leave the bridge in colorful flames
« Reply #100 on: August 13, 2018, 12:25:29 PM »
I can give an update, but it may not be a terribly exciting one.

I am still following the 'conservative' path.

DW and I are at a 92-93% cFiresim as of a few days ago.   If we stick through OMY, cFiresim projects 99 - 100%+.

I'm letting the chips fall where they may and continuing work in the interim.  November brings another bulk financial incentive, so setting my sights on that for the moment.

Admittedly, I've become quite the slacker.  I've never been this un-caring about work in my entire life.

I do continue to come into work 4 days a week, but don't find myself too busy many times.  Most of the day is goofing off and doing other activities.   I no longer put in a single minute over 40 hours.  8 of those hours are home on Fridays, and sadly, I probably do even less from home.  I don't interact with my boss too much lately. 

At times I have pangs of guilt for doing so little, but they are fleeting.  I do still hope for a dismissal bonus.

Stress is pretty non-existent now.  Certainly I have better things I could be doing, but I still get to do some pretty easy stuff throughout the day (like posting here).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 12:27:05 PM by Slee_stack »

patchyfacialhair

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: August 13, 2018, 12:28:33 PM »
Sometimes the not exciting updates are the best ones. It sounds like you're on the cusp of fully living life on your own terms, which is far more than 99% of the population can say. Soak up the work stuff until you've had enough, then just give your 2 weeks and be done with it. Congrats!

sparkytheop

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2018, 02:00:41 PM »
The update is great!  Don't need to do flashy stuff for a while, just start to coast...

One of my coworkers was talking about how much easier the job would be if he just didn't care (because no one else seems to).  He still puts everything into what he does, after 20+ years.  But management has become increasingly stupid with how they do things (not just our boss, but all the way up).  They go overboard to try to make us "safe", while completely ignoring the simple fixes that would *actually* allow us to do it safely.  (I'm blue collar, and deal with both electrical and mechanical issues.)

After I gave my all, and got the crap beat out of me for it, I've spent the last three+ years just doing what is required of me.  I don't look for extra work in my downtime (like I would have at one time, just to keep busy and gain knowledge), but I watch movies, pay my bills, sew/quilt, cook/bake, etc.  I get my job done and do it well, but I no longer really care, and I don't go above and beyond like I once did, and am a much happier person for it.  I'm still not quiet about announcing that something is incredibly stupid, but I just say my piece and then "peace out". 

Mgmny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2018, 12:09:16 PM »
3) You are considering NOT doing any of the following options during the next few wonderful months of your life, because you will be hanging out an an office playing a game:

-learn Spanish by immersing yourself in Barcelona for 5 months

This is a bad recommendation as they don't actually speak Spanish in Barcelona.

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2018, 11:34:34 AM »
Thanks for the update.  See you on the other side!

Car Jack

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2018, 01:27:37 PM »
I am quite happy with your update.

Some suggestions moving forward:  Arrive late to work every day.  To make up for arriving late, leave early.  Be sure to be on time for lunch.  Remember, early means on time.  Again, to make up for leaving early for lunch, come back late.

When things get difficult at a meeting at any time of the day, walk out and go home.  When at home for the Friday work from home day, remember that work from home includes mowing the lawn, watching TV, surfing the web, going to the coffee shop to read a newspaper for 4 hours.  No company work is allowed.  You don't want to get in trouble.

When you've finally had enough with going in at all, stop going in.  No notice.  No word.  No anything....simply don't go to work anymore.

If you'd like to have fun with it, somebody above you will eventually call you to see where you are.  You get to do your actor role now and ask them how they're not seeing all the overtime you've put in, the weekends spent in your office, the projects getting wrapped up.  Tell them you're taking a week of vacation.  Simply don't return some more.  If you want to really spread this out, show up out of the blue at random times.  Maybe do 15 minutes of work.  Attend a meeting you're not invited to. 

To have some real fun, if ever confronted by a boss, simply respond: "I guess you weren't informed....I bought the company".

(clearly, I've thought this kind of stuff out)

iris lily

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #106 on: August 25, 2018, 01:40:40 PM »
OP, you have no idea of the belly laughs I have gained from this thread. So much fun!

partgypsy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #107 on: August 30, 2018, 11:13:01 AM »
I think this is a good update! You are so close, enjoy the ride.