Author Topic: Tell me about tyres!  (Read 4469 times)

Kaminoge

• Bristles
Tell me about tyres!
« on: April 29, 2014, 09:58:58 AM »
I have a car (a little one with little tyres). It has winter tyres on it right now. Winter is definitely over but I'm wondering if I can just keep those tyres on all year.

Basic facts

1. Drive around 150km per week (on pretty awful roads - despite the fact that it's all within the capital city)
2. Occasionally take longer weekend trips.
3. Will not be driving the car at all for 2 months of the summer (late June - late August).

If I need to change the tyres I'll have to buy a new set. I've been driving the car since October with winter tyres on (since that's what it came with).

I want to know if I'll completely destroy the tyres if I keep using them in summer and if it means I'm more likely to have an accident.

I usually stay places around 4 or 5 years so I can't imagine I'll want the car for any longer than that (ie if it means the tyres will only last 10 years instead of 20 then I really don't care).

I've never lived anywhere with winter tyres before and I have no clue about car stuff at all. I've been googling and asking people I work with but the default answer is just to change them because that's what everyone does. No one seems to really know what will happen if I don't.

(oh and just in case anyone is going to tell me to drive less: the apartment comes with the job so moving isn't an option and I was cycling to work but it added 2 hours to each working day, meant I had to give up swimming (because I couldn't make it home before the pool shut) and after a few nasty run ins with packs of dogs (someone was actually killed here last year) I gave it up)

paul11273

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Tell me about tyres!
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 10:45:46 AM »
Winter tires have a more aggressive tread pattern, made from softer rubber.
Driving them in the summer will just decrease the life of the tires by wearing them down faster.
As long as there is tread above the wear bar, you are not in any more likelihood of having an accident from tire failure or lack of traction.

Hope this helps you decide.

Kaminoge

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 10:48:26 AM »
Thanks. That's good to know (I got the idea about accidents from the internet, it seemed to say the rubber didn't handle as well in wet conditions).

I guess it's just a matter then of working out if they're still likely to last 3 or 4 years if I keep them on all year.

Basically I really don't want the hassle or expense of buying/changing tyres (not to mention having to store the ones I'm not using) so I'm really hoping I can get away with this. I know it will lessen the life of the tyres but as long as they'll last as long as I'm likely to keep the car I don't really care. I can't see it changing the resale value by much.

gecko10x

• Bristles
    • SawyerPF
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 10:53:05 AM »
You should get better traction, but lower gas mileage.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 10:58:10 AM »
where are you and hot how does it get during the summer months?
As Paul said, winter tires have a larger tread and softer rubber.  They'll wear out faster during warmer months.  how much faster is a function of how hot it gets there.

Also, as I learned recently by moving to Canada, there are two types of "winter" tires.  There's the Mud + Snow (M+S) tires common in the lower 48, but also dedicated winter (sometimes called "arctic") tires for very snowy and/or very cold climates.  In North America Mud and Snow tires will have the (M+S) written on the sidewall, whereas winter tires will have a snowflake and mountain printed on the sidewall. 
I'm guessing these aren't studded (have metal studs running through the treads)?

Kaminoge

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 11:09:19 AM »
I'm in Bulgaria (hence the terrible road conditions).

It doesn't get terribly hot - up to around 35C (95F) according to the internet. A Bulgarian told me today that they are told to change tyres when it is consistently about 20. She was saying she hasn't got around to doing hers yet because it's still not that warm here.

The tyres definitely don't have studs. There's a little snowflake on them. I didn't notice any mountain.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 11:20:31 AM »
I'm in Bulgaria (hence the terrible road conditions).

It doesn't get terribly hot - up to around 35C (95F) according to the internet. A Bulgarian told me today that they are told to change tyres when it is consistently about 20. She was saying she hasn't got around to doing hers yet because it's still not that warm here.

The tyres definitely don't have studs. There's a little snowflake on them. I didn't notice any mountain.
Ok - You have the dedicated winter tires (tyres).  There's no danger to leaving them on during the summer, but you will wear them out faster.  If you only drive 5,000km during the warmer (>20ºC) months, it won't be that big of a deal.  But if you drive a lot more, you'll notice your winter tires will only last about half as long as they are supposed to.

Storing them is always a challenge.  Useful to have a friend with a farm or large garage.  I've often found used 15" radials online (craigslist) for about $100usd with at least 50% tread left.  IF you can find a place to store your winter tires and IF you know a garage that can do the tire swap for cheap (or you buy the tires with a set of rims) then over 4-5 years you will come out slightly ahead.  Otherwise, just realize you might be buying a replacement set sooner than normal.

Kaminoge

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 11:31:20 AM »
Perfect! Sounds like I can leave them on then. I won't drive more than 5000 km when it's above 20C. I'd estimate it to be much less than that (say a maximum of 20 weeks at 150km/wk would make for only 3000 km and that 20 week estimate is very generous).

Buying 2nd hand doesn't appeal for 2 reasons.
1. Due to road conditions here 2nd hand car stuff tends to be in lousy condition.
2. Because I don't read/speak Bulgarian I'd have to rely on someone else helping me out and that always feels like an imposition.

I think I'll keep the tyres on and then use it as an incentive to maybe get back to cycling a couple of times a week (carrying pepper spray) when the days are longer and it's warmer.

Thanks for the help.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 12:07:01 PM »
Sure thing.  Had to deal with buying tires in french-speaking Quebec which was a challenge.
Out of curiosity, what's with the pepper-spray?  Is it for defense against people or animals? 

Kaminoge

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 12:31:06 PM »
Dogs. Sofia (where I am) has a huge problem with stray dogs. Most of them are harmless but they tend to roam in packs in places (especially around the outskirts of the city which is where I need to go) and they can do some nasty damage.

I know a few people who have been attacked and then there's cases like this
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/stray-dogs-kill-again-in-sofia.aspx?pageID=238&nID=23448&NewsCatID=354
which are obviously extreme.

I've never been bitten (touch wood) but I have had a few nasty scares with packs running at me when I've cycled past. I can't successfully use the pepper spray while I'm riding (I've tried) but I figure that if they do ever take me down then at least I'd have a chance of defending myself. To get to work I have to cycle in the dark (apart from a very short period around the longest day) and that's part of the problem. I've never had anything scary happen on the way home (when it's light).