Author Topic: Tell me about T Mobile  (Read 5196 times)

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Tell me about T Mobile
« on: April 12, 2018, 12:10:24 PM »
We are getting fleeced with AT&T and I'm looking at switching to T-Mobile.  One of the big draws for me is the inclusion of data coverage in 120 or so countries.  It looks like it would be about $30 a month cheaper than what we have with AT&T, which does not include international data. 

Do you have T-Mobile?  What do you think?  If there is another low cost carrier that includes more international coverage, particularly data, I would love to hear about it.  All advice appreciated.  Thanks!

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
Re: Tell me about T Mobile
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 12:40:55 PM »
We've had t-mobile for years, as our old carriers got eaten up by AT&T, which I generally don't care for.

It's fine. We definitely don't have the cheapest plan, because we travel a bit and use a lot of data.

CoffeeR

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2018, 12:47:30 PM »
The only way you will have decent coverage in the US with T-Mobile if your phone has band 12 support. We switched to T-Mobile with phones that did not have proper band-12 support and coverage was lousy (frequent dropped calls, etc.). It may not be sufficient to simply check if your phone(s) support band 12, it appears not all band 12 capable phones are fully supported by T-Mobile (I may be wrong here). Other who know more can chime in. In other words, purchase your phones at a T-Mobile store and/or phones with known T-Mobile support.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 08:26:36 PM by CoffeeR »

Daley

• Magnum Stache
  • Still kickin', I guess.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2018, 02:43:56 PM »
The only way you will have decent coverage in the US with T-Mobile if your phone has band 12 support. We switched to T-Mobile with phones that did not have proper band-12 support and coverage was lousy (frequent dropped calls, etc.). It may not be sufficient to simply check if your phone(s) support band 12, it appears not all band 12 cable phones are fully supported by T-Mobile (I may be wrong here). Other who know more can chime in. In other words, purchase your phones at a T-Mobile store and/or phones with known T-Mobile support.

You're not wrong. The rapid forced VoLTE band 12 transition and decommissioning of 1900MHz 3G was an absolute screwover for a lot of lower income TMo customers and MVNO users, especially since they were still selling non VoLTE capable handsets after the transition started. Combine that with their unlock policy? Yeesh.

It's not that coverage isn't decent if you have the right handset. It isn't that they or their MVNOs aren't a bit more "affordable" (yeah, you really should check out the guide linked in my sig, OP - you got more options than *just* TMo). It's just... the restrictions they now have to get decent voice coverage and e911 support basically restricts you to a pretty small pool of TMo-only certified handsets and robs anyone running Android of the option of running aftermarket/third-party ROMs like LineageOS now. Their LTE shift has effectively made them a near proprietary network requiring handset buy-in to use 'em instead of bringing in an unlocked handset.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 02:45:31 PM by Daley »

Saving in Austin

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2018, 09:31:59 PM »
I'm paying $95 per month to AT&T for 2 phones with 4GB data combined plus rollover.

I don't like paying them $40 per phone every time we leave the country on a short trip.

I went into T-Mobile to price compare.

They only sell unlimited data for 2 phones for a combined $120 per month.

I've decided to stay with AT&T even though T-Mobile is free internationally.

I use my phone for business so any loss of service/coverage area is a bad thing.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2018, 05:41:36 AM »
The only way you will have decent coverage in the US with T-Mobile if your phone has band 12 support. We switched to T-Mobile with phones that did not have proper band-12 support and coverage was lousy (frequent dropped calls, etc.). It may not be sufficient to simply check if your phone(s) support band 12, it appears not all band 12 cable phones are fully supported by T-Mobile (I may be wrong here). Other who know more can chime in. In other words, purchase your phones at a T-Mobile store and/or phones with known T-Mobile support.

You're not wrong. The rapid forced VoLTE band 12 transition and decommissioning of 1900MHz 3G was an absolute screwover for a lot of lower income TMo customers and MVNO users, especially since they were still selling non VoLTE capable handsets after the transition started. Combine that with their unlock policy? Yeesh.

Would Consumer Cellular be a great option for the OP, or do they not offer roaming? I'm guessing the OP could use their existing handsets too?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 05:52:03 AM by alsoknownasDean »

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2018, 06:51:31 AM »
I have had T-Mobile for many years now and they have been great.  I guess I just got lucky because I bought an unlocked Nokia windows phone for $90 off the internet 3 years ago and it works fine...has better sound quality than my daughter's iPhone.  I love it when I travel...free unlimited texts and data and only .20/minute from Europe to US.  I was paying $80/month, but it dropped to $60/ month for two lines including all taxes when I turned 55.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:06:05 AM by Dee18 »

TheAnonOne

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 07:12:10 AM »
We have TMobile and travel internationally 2 times a year.

I really can't say enough good about them. $100 (all taxes are included) a month for two phones for unlimited everything. International included!

We both have Samsung S7s (you can buy them used for $200-250) and get coverage in most places other than really rural Midwest areas.

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 07:38:31 AM »
Would Consumer Cellular be a great option for the OP, or do they not offer roaming? I'm guessing the OP could use their existing handsets too?

Yup, Consumer Cellular would be an option (and they do provide off-network roaming, whereas the following will be AT&T only), as would Puretalk USA, and to a lesser extent Red Pocket, Airvoice and H2O Wireless bringing up the rear on the customer service best to worst from the guide these days for AT&T MVNO options. Edit, nevermind, international roaming. *facepalm* Lots of ways to keep AT&T coverage and AT&T handsets (though get those things unlocked first!) without paying AT&T's prices.

This said, there's ways around the international roaming issue using domestic only MVNOs. Knowroaming.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 07:55:25 AM by Daley »

Wayward

• Stubble
  • Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 07:52:09 AM »
I would suggest looking into Google Project Fi as I believe the cost may be lower and you would still have access to service in over 170 countries!

You would need a Google Project Fi compatible phone though.  If you do switch please consider using my link: https://g.co/fi/r/M4M8K6

Trying2bFrugal

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2018, 08:28:44 AM »
I was with Tmobile for 5 years, if you are in TMobile coverage area, you can get it. It will work same/better than others.
If you are frequent traveler, where TMobile has less coverage, then think twice.

For USA, TMobile is the best thing happened in Telecom to make others provide service in competitive pricing.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2018, 11:57:01 AM »
My t-mobile coverage used to be a little spotty, but it really has improved a LOT.

BuildingmyFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2018, 12:14:57 PM »
Thanks everyone for the responses.  I'm still a little on the fence given the potential domestic coverage issues.  But the potential for international data coverage and cheap calling is pretty enticing. 

frugaliknowit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2018, 01:15:05 PM »
I've had T-Mobile for years and love it.  I do not recall EVER having domestic coverage issues (except for deadspots "deep in the sticks" where other carriers didn't work either...).  Where I live, AT&T voice can be spotty...

Peachtea

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2018, 07:52:57 AM »
I had T-Mobile (5 years) and now use Mint Sim (6 months), an MVNO which runs off T-Mobile’s network. I have no problems with service in cities across the US: Chicago, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Minneapolis, Austin, LA, Seattle, Memphis, St. Louis, Boston, Charleston and etc. Service in smaller cities in WI I get spotty service. Usually can talk and text but data is dead. Rural areas between cities there is no service. So I have no service a couple days every other month when visiting family in rural areas. The reduced price is worth the trade off for me. Coverage internationally has been a great bonus and convenience.

They only sell unlimited data for 2 phones for a combined $120 per month.
Tmobile has more plans that are prepaid, just a little harder to find on their website. You can get 2 lines for $80 with 10 GB shared data as a prepaid plan.

So far I really like Mint Sim. Service seems the same as when I had T-Mobile. Only disappointment is I can’t use my phone as a mobile hotspot for my tablet. But I didn’t use it that frequently, so again feel the low price is a good deal. I pay $20/month (paid for a year in advance) for unlimited text, talk, and 5GB data. My husband pays $15/month for unlimited text, talk, and 2 GB data. I haven’t tested Mint Sim internationally yet, but it’s supposed to work internationally like T-Mobile.

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2018, 09:08:52 AM »
I love T-Mobile.

Former roommates and I have a 4-phone family plan still going - $35/line for 10GB and unlimited talk/text (with international data and unlimited music/video streaming). It's great.

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 11:27:15 AM »
I've had T-Mobile for at least 15 years straight. It historically works best in urban areas (where I live), but if I lived in the boonies, I might choose differently. And as a previous poster has said, their coverage has improved quite a bit the past few years.

topshot

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2018, 07:16:41 AM »
Their unlimited plan for 55+ (only one person needs to be that age) is still pretty enticing even though the price increased. It's now listed as $35/mo/line (can only have 2 lines). It had been $30 when it came out last fall.

I don't find the list of phones that work well to be that limiting.

ETA: looks like just one line is $50/mo
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:42:51 AM by topshot »

dodojojo

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2018, 09:50:13 AM »
I was with Tmobile up until early this year.  I was paying around $55 for 2gb data and unlimited talk/text.  For quite awhile I was aware I was using anywhere from 50-250 mb of data monthly.  Finally switched to a low-cost MVNO and now pay about $22 for 500mb.  The Tmobile international perks are nice to have, really nice.  It's great to land somewhere and your phone just works.  I only travel internationally once every 1-2 years so I'll just save the $375 annually and pay for a local sim card when I'm abroad or abide by wifi.

Tmobile used to have outstanding customer service.  Now they have 'nice' customer service--reps say all the right things but for the last couple of issues I noticed they never followed up or provided a resolution.  Leaving them and returning a device was a freaking nightmare.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2018, 01:18:08 PM »
grandfathered family plan here with unlimited music streaming (doesnt count against data) 4.5GB of data per line and 6 people on our family plan at 135 a month.  its really hard to beat that.

service is great i dont really have issues except in remote areas where i dont really want my phone anyways - ie national parks.  i love the fact when we go out of the country that my data and text still work and thats included.

FireHiker

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2018, 04:49:38 PM »
We switched to T-Mobile at the beginning of this year after several years with AT&T. Our plan is $140/mo for 3 smart phones (all iphones...I know, I know. Mine is an SE I transferred from AT&T; my husband and 17 year old son got new phones with a BOGO offer when we transferred). The $140/mo is unlimited talk, text, data for three lines. It includes Netflix. We LOVED having international data/text in April when we went to Europe. We did just get back from a trip in the Northeast US where we were in rural areas of Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. Coverage was pretty spotty, with absolutely nothing in Lincoln, NH, but we had wifi at our airbnb at least. We did get domestic roaming on other networks though "free" (up to a certain data level; my teenager hit the cap but neither my husband nor I did and I used maps all day in the car).

Overall, I'm very happy with T-Mobile. The coverage is not quite as good as AT&T (and definitely not as good as Verizon) but it's much better than it used to be and perfectly adequate for our needs. We have terrible coverage at our house but we have wifi calling so it works well. AT&T disabled the wifi calling option apparently. It's really nice to not have to worry about the God-awful amount of data my teenager uses. The 55+ plan is a great deal; we've tried to convince my husband's parents to switch to that from Verizon but they are...resistant to change.

ETBen

• Bristles
    • I started a journal about single parenting and the new life towards FIRE
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2018, 08:13:37 PM »
I’ve had T Mobile for a few years. The only place I had coverage issues is a spot in Lower Slower Delaware and another in rural Kentucky. The international coverage is nice in Mexico etc. They even auto texted me to confirm I was on network and included in my plan.

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2018, 09:03:44 PM »
grandfathered family plan here with unlimited music streaming (doesnt count against data) 4.5GB of data per line and 6 people on our family plan at 135 a month.  its really hard to beat that.

Grandfathered family plan here, 5 lines for $130 (that includes all taxes and fees). Plenty of data, even for the teenagers. Even Ting can never beat that when I check.

My Note 5 (bought used) was stolen and just today I ordered one of the new Chinese phones: a $180 Xaiomi Redmi 5 plus (sorry, Daley, I do too much running around all day at the job and need something that will run plenty of educational/science/math/reading apps quickly, in absence of a wifi laptop - it didn't look like the Moto would fit that bill). This talk of a small pool of tmo phones (No Xaiomis listed there) to get decent voice service has me a little concerned, as I take calls from parents and admin all the time. Hopefully living in a big city will help alleviate that problem.

alsoknownasDean

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2018, 02:37:06 AM »

Grandfathered family plan here, 5 lines for $130 (that includes all taxes and fees). Plenty of data, even for the teenagers. Even Ting can never beat that when I check.

My Note 5 (bought used) was stolen and just today I ordered one of the new Chinese phones: a $180 Xaiomi Redmi 5 plus (sorry, Daley, I do too much running around all day at the job and need something that will run plenty of educational/science/math/reading apps quickly, in absence of a wifi laptop - it didn't look like the Moto would fit that bill). This talk of a small pool of tmo phones (No Xaiomis listed there) to get decent voice service has me a little concerned, as I take calls from parents and admin all the time. Hopefully living in a big city will help alleviate that problem.

Are you sure the Xiaomi phone would support T-Mobile’s LTE bands?

GSMArena shows the Redmi 5 Plus as supporting the following:

LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2018, 04:05:04 PM »
Switched last year from AT&T, once contract ran out.

T-mobile is most cost effective on a large family plan.  We pay our own lines but share the plan with extended family and everyone is trusted to pay their share online.  The marginal cost per line (with kick-back, aka <2GB data usage) is just $10.  For, say, 8 lines, the per-line cost (with autopay and kickback) is like $25?

I already had netflix so the free netflix benefit is money in my pocket

The t-mobile tuesdays are often stupid ($2 dunkin donuts gift card) but sometimes useful

I travel abroad at least a few times per year, so I do enjoy the free 2G.  It can be spotty, depending on the location, and I may have to fiddle with data options/airplane mode, and it's obviously slow.  But it's a godsend when you just need to look something up on the map, or google, and don't want to hunt down WiFi.  It's pretty good for imessage/WhatsApp, and even if you have to send a normal SMS it's free.

Most of the time I'm on wifi, though, and the wifi-calling works really well for handling US business (i.e., calling US numbers)

Compared to my last trip to Europe on AT&T, when I got a local SIM card in Italy, it's much preferable to just arrive and have data, and obviously cheaper (but that depends again on the country).  Wifi itself may be ubiquitous these days, but open networks that have actual internet connections, and don't have extremely slow/buggy captive portals, are actually pretty rare in my travels.  Half the places that say they have wifi either don't have a network visible, it's down, or the internet is out, or they don't want to give you the password or whatever.  Even airports are hit or miss because they are typically under heavy load.

Overall, happy with it.  If you do switch, consider waiting for one of their 2 for 1 phone or other promotions, which usually require adding a line.  Also, go to an actual store and ask them to waive the SIM card fee or at least something non-scandalous like $1.  Online they charge you ridiculous amounts for the SIM cards.

If you buy a phone from them, and paid off, unlock is easy with online chat or call.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 04:09:15 PM by dragoncar »

GuitarBrian

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2018, 09:04:13 PM »
I've been with T-Mobile for 14 years. We have 7 lines, 5 with 4.5gb, 2 with unlimited high speed data for $167 a month. I use the international roaming a lot (currently browsing the forum on my phone from a sailboat in the Philippines)

International coverage varies, mostly I've found service coverage to be excellent, but data speeds can be abismal. No coverage in places like Myanmar...

Price it out, make sure they have good coverage where you need it. Don't get TMobile if you need coverage in Nebraska. Or anywhere you'll be domesticly roaming. Even though you get unlimited data internationally, I only get 50mb domesticly, and when you reach 50mb, that's it, no data at all. Nothing.

I recommend buying a used LG G5 H830 on eBay.. last one I bought for my Dad was $65. Basically the same specs as an S7...

esq

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 09:00:21 AM »

Are you sure the Xiaomi phone would support T-Mobile’s LTE bands?

GSMArena shows the Redmi 5 Plus as supporting the following:

LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500)

Actually, I've discovered since yesterday that the phone will not, in fact, support T-mobile bands. Order cancelled thru Amazon. Looking at a Moto G5 plus 64gb instead. Thanks, Daley! (Whatever happened to I.P., btw?)

Daley

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 11:37:00 AM »
(Whatever happened to I.P., btw?)

@esq - Something, something, easier to tag... insert bad pun about flushing it.

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2018, 07:38:28 PM »
We have two lines with T Mobile with 6 Gigs of data each (+ rollover) for $60/month total. It's worthwhile to call every six months or so to barter for better deals as they often have specials they can apply (for example, we recently added data and ended up paying less). Coverage is better than it was when we first joined 5 or so years ago. I don't recall any problems in the past 2 years.

COEE

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2018, 09:59:49 PM »
I'm paying $30/mo with a MetroPCS phone.  2G of data.  Unlimited calling and text.  I think I'm paying too much and will shop it around soon.  I only have one line.  When I had two it was $50/mo.  Wife wanted to have her company pay for her phone.

T-mobile phone on the t-mobile network without the t-mobile prices.

T-mobile network outside of metro areas can be a nightmare.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2018, 07:53:37 AM »
We have two lines with T Mobile with 6 Gigs of data each (+ rollover) for $60/month total. It's worthwhile to call every six months or so to barter for better deals as they often have specials they can apply (for example, we recently added data and ended up paying less). Coverage is better than it was when we first joined 5 or so years ago. I don't recall any problems in the past 2 years.

thanks for this tip i'm going to call in now to see what can be done.

Rosy

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2018, 08:23:06 AM »
We've been with T-Mobile over ten years - no issues. Good customer service. Looks like they are building up their network. Didn't care for them shutting out G2 and G3 or whatever coverage/support they have dropped - if you find an unlocked phone on Amazon for cheap - that is the reason, it will not support 4G for T-Mobile.
Works great in Germany too - we have the Unlimited Plan $50 per phone.
I guess I better look into the 55 plus plan - that would save us $30 mo.

I'm looking at the OnePlus6 phone, 8GB Ram-128GB storage, dual sim, excellent camera, unlocked - it works with T-Mobile. Planning to order their new red version when it comes out this weekend. (sorry guys, for once in my life I want a Ferrari red killer phone - it doesn't cost extra for the color either).
If I don't score one this weekend I'll just get their pearl white - I'm tired of all the black phones that I can never find because I can't see them.

We keep our phones for at least five years and Mr. R. said he's still fine with his, he has an LG - I'm running into too many not compatible issues with mine. I have the LG Flex 959 right now and love it, but it will not play with Zelle or two of my other bank apps. Tried all sorts of things - no go, guess it is lacking in security for the new technology - it's 4.4 Android.

I'd get another LG but the price is ridiculous at T-Mobile and I need a 6" screen - I wish there was an 8" tablet/phone that matches the specs for the OnePlus6 phone.