Author Topic: Tell me about a Lexus CT 200h please.  (Read 3865 times)

Holyoak

• Bristles
Tell me about a Lexus CT 200h please.
« on: March 14, 2019, 07:21:19 PM »
A friend asked me about them, and aside from the technical aspects I could mention and explain, I've never driven/owned/serviced/had a long term experience with one, so I'm asking for your valuable input.

I see even with the combined electric and gas engine output, it's very low for the cars weight (130 or so HP), so I wonder if the instant torque really helps with driving performance.  How about the reliability/function of the CVT transmission and battery packs?  I'd appreciate any first hand experience, positive/negative aspects of driving and owning this vehicle that I can pass on.  I have to say the prices I am seeing for 2013-2015 models, I'm really surprised at how much you get, for such a low price.  Thank you.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Tell me about a Lexus CT 200h please.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 08:19:03 PM »
I’ve always like the looks compared to other economy cars. Way better looking than like a Prius, IMO.

That being said, every single review I have read on that car has just been poor. I did a lot of research a while back and it was just article after article about what a dud it was. Nothing really negative about it’s reliability, just everything else..

Dave1442397

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 05:29:49 AM »
This guy does a pretty detailed review - https://youtu.be/ccZzofp6JN0

Rcc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 11:38:09 AM »
I owned two of them. One was my DD (I'm now in an Avalon), others was my wifes. It's been handed down to our college age son.

I'll start with reliability: the hybrid system is the same as 3rd/4th gen Prius - so I'd expect 200K miles out of it w/o breathing hard. We never had an issue, standard oil changes. Have yet to change brake pads. The battery packs are NIMH, not Li-Ion - so they (also based on Prius history) should last 200K+ miles.

Yes, the HP is "low". It can get up and go, but its not the same as an ICE car. I used to joke it will go from 0-60, eventually. Sport mode helps a little - and I'm pretty sure Toyota tuned it differently as it doesnt get Prius levels of fuel efficiency. You'll get slightly worse efficiency in winter vs spring/summer as the design of the engine wants it to stay at an optimal temperature. After enough time, you wont pay attention to this. At best you may play the video game of "how efficient can I be" (AVG MPG which you can display on the drivers gauges).

With that said its more comfortable than a Prius. Lexus simply has different trims, faux leather, and seat bolstering you wont get in a Prius. Tire selection also improves comfort, though you want low rolling resistance tires (LRR). Michelins and Continentals were on ours and I liked them FWIW.

So why did I get rid of mine? Few simple reasons: I got REALLY tired of hearing the CVT. Spin up, spin down etc. Note: I am a stickler for noise (prior car was a Lexus LS430 and now I'm in another Luxo-barge). The lack of rear storage eventually annoyed me, although I did fix it with an external cargo rack/bike rack (hitch is the same that can be used on a Prius). The rear seats are for pets, and children. Finally, Lexus has this design asthetic they havent fully purged yet of a cockpit like layout. At 6'1" it was a tad too cozy for me (esp compared to what I drove prior).

Long rant just about done. If you like it, and can get the model/options at a price you want - go for it. Test drive it of course both on the highway and local roads to see what you think about cabin sounds (again disclaimer: I want the cabin sounds of a crypt vault, or empty museum :) ).

While shopping, and if its in your price range - also look at Prius Prime Advanced. When wife and I test drove that (2017 model year) - Toyota nipped all the issues I had with the CT200h, and the original Prius.

Hope that helps.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 11:53:36 AM »
I don't know anything about this car, but I do know some really great threads where you can learn all about blenders.  MMM is totally the place to play "let's keep up with the Joneses" with a bunch of strangers.

FrugalToque

• Global Moderator
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 01:09:39 PM »
I don't know anything about this car, but I do know some really great threads where you can learn all about blenders.  MMM is totally the place to play "let's keep up with the Joneses" with a bunch of strangers.
Now, now.

It MSRPs at around $32,900, an okay price for someone who has already saved up their first million.  It might even be okay on the used market.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 01:11:35 PM »
Thanks Use and Dave for your helpful input, and for your detailed hands on post Rcc...  Very helpful indeed. Thank you.

Holyoak

• Bristles
Tell me about a Lexus CT 200h please.
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 02:07:40 PM »
Now, now.

It MSRPs at around $32,900, an okay price for someone who has already saved up their first million.  It might even be okay on the used market.

Now, now, it's OK...  Some folks know nothing about a topic they fail to even fully read, can't/don't have the ability to comprehend, or the savoir faire to understand the topic at hand, yet are compelled to add uniformed, assumptive punk-ass snark to a topic concerning a $14k vehicle.  For Christ sake, if you are going to try and land a zinger up your fucking game, and lean your spindly little frame into it, before you open yer attention seeking yap...  WEAK.

I like recommending threads as well...  There is a real dandy about a person who failed at retirement using the pretentious third person in their title, filling pages and pages with overt humble-brag, false modesty, witless drivel, and tales of scaling 60,000 ft mountains 5x a week, only wanting to seek validation and petty envy.  God, what a tool.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 02:34:48 PM »
Now, now, it's OK...  Some folks know nothing about a topic they fail to even fully read, can't/don't have the ability to comprehend, or the savoir faire to understand the topic at hand, yet are compelled to add uniformed, assumptive punk-ass snark to a topic concerning a $14k vehicle.  For Christ sake, if you are going to try and land a zinger up your fucking game, and lean your spindly little frame into it, before you open yer attention seeking yap...  WEAK.

I like recommending threads as well...  There is a real dandy about a person who failed at retirement using the pretentious third person in their title, filling pages and pages with overt humble-brag, false modesty, witless drivel, and tales of scaling 60,000 ft mountains 5x a week, only wanting to seek validation and petty envy.  God, what a tool.

It's only because I love you and want you to be able to stick around that I remind you of the forum rules, which this post clearly violate:  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/forum-information-faqs/forum-rules/

Also, maybe lighten up a little?  Jokes are just jokes, not personal assaults.  Learning to laugh at ourselves is a sign of personal growth.

edit:  I second guessed myself, and thought maybe you were joking?  So I went and reviewed your post history, and this sort of vitriolic personal attack against other forum members appears to be your hallmark!  Exhibit B: 

No shit; you do only live once, - So how about do it right with some fucking dignity, class, and discipline.  Not some fucking slave to your weak mind, need for constant praise/attention, or soft-ass, lazy lifestyle.  How about tattoo that on you fucking neck?

You seem tense.  Everything okay with you?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:15:53 PM by sol »

JLee

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 03:48:53 PM »

You might be onto something there.

$9200 for a 6yo hybrid doesn't exactly merit a "keeping up with the Joneses" insult.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 05:21:28 AM »
So why did I get rid of mine? Few simple reasons: I got REALLY tired of hearing the CVT. Spin up, spin down etc.

This is a great point Rcc, and one potential issue I have tried to explain to the person I'm helping with their decision.  For me, ANY CVT is an instant deal-breaker, but for my friend may not...  I try very hard not to color their potential opinion with my actual experience, but it is very challenging - I hate CVT's that much, and so glad Mazda (no EV yet), and mostly Toyota/Lexus have avoided them. 

As for a Lexus LS430, what a fine vehicle...  Perhaps the best nexus of price, performance, style, and true v8 luxury within the model.  I cant say I'm a big fan of the latest model going to a v6/turbo v6 at all.  I had really considered purchasing an ES350 because of its bullet-proof 2GR-FE v6 (no timing belt service or turbo) and a bit smaller size over the LS, but the lack of a folding rear seat is a non negotiable no-go.  I crave vault like silence as well, and may have to take another look at a Lexus for myself.  Thanks.

Bearblastbeats

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 06:00:13 AM »
It's a Prius in a tuxedo.

I looked at one and then bought an A3 sportback. More fun to drive and I'm not a fan of cvt.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 06:27:19 AM »

It's only because I love you and want you to be able to stick around that I remind you of the forum rules, which this post clearly violate:  https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/forum-information-faqs/forum-rules/

Also, maybe lighten up a little?  Jokes are just jokes, not personal assaults.  Learning to laugh at ourselves is a sign of personal growth.

edit:  I second guessed myself, and thought maybe you were joking?  So I went and reviewed your post history, and this sort of vitriolic personal attack against other forum members appears to be your hallmark!  Exhibit B: 

No shit; you do only live once, - So how about do it right with some fucking dignity, class, and discipline.  Not some fucking slave to your weak mind, need for constant praise/attention, or soft-ass, lazy lifestyle.  How about tattoo that on you fucking neck?

You seem tense.  Everything okay with you?
Wait...WAIT! Lemme go make some popcorn. This is gonna be good.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2019, 08:05:31 AM »
... And my ignored user list continues to grow.  It'd be nice to have folks actually post help for a fellow forum member as others in this thread have, rather than folks of poor character again making it about themselves; Lookee me, raise post count, fancies themselves some sort of board celebrity, add shit-stirring drama I don't even see. WTF has happened to this place??? 

No problem, plenty of room in the ignored user Phantom Zone... *POOF*... Gone, forgotten, no fucks about them given, mute in my world.

Mods...  This negative thread drift from trolls is OK?  Again to the non A-hole posters to my thread, your help is appreciated...  Please continue if you can add anything else.  Thanks.

Rcc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2019, 08:06:15 AM »
So why did I get rid of mine? Few simple reasons: I got REALLY tired of hearing the CVT. Spin up, spin down etc.

This is a great point Rcc, and one potential issue I have tried to explain to the person I'm helping with their decision.  For me, ANY CVT is an instant deal-breaker, but for my friend may not...  I try very hard not to color their potential opinion with my actual experience, but it is very challenging - I hate CVT's that much, and so glad Mazda (no EV yet), and mostly Toyota/Lexus have avoided them. 

As for a Lexus LS430, what a fine vehicle...  Perhaps the best nexus of price, performance, style, and true v8 luxury within the model.  I cant say I'm a big fan of the latest model going to a v6/turbo v6 at all.  I had really considered purchasing an ES350 because of its bullet-proof 2GR-FE v6 (no timing belt service or turbo) and a bit smaller size over the LS, but the lack of a folding rear seat is a non negotiable no-go.  I crave vault like silence as well, and may have to take another look at a Lexus for myself.  Thanks.

This is how I ended up in the Avalon. 4th gen shares the same 2gr-fe v6 (300k miles, no sweat!). Ride and comfort is similar to the LS. Oil changes are once a year (yay!) tire wear is better, so far. I’ve seen the LS500 on the road, so I can only say they look OK.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2019, 08:08:57 AM »
Mods...  This negative thread drift from trolls is OK?  Again to the non A-hole posters to my thread, your help is appreciated...  Please continue if you can add anything else.  Thanks.

Oh yes, please notify the mods about this thread!  That's a great idea.  Be sure to tell them there's an "A-hole" here who is breaking the forum rules and needs moderation...

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2019, 08:20:55 AM »
MOD NOTE: Really?  *eyeroll*

You know what they say about wrestling with pigs.

Try and take the high road.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2019, 08:27:52 AM »
Rcc, the 4th generation Avalon does seem like a very nice vehicle...  But unless I am mistaken, it too has no ability to fold down the rear seats...  Pass through only, correct?  How do you find your cars front seat comfort; Seems some report over not much time, the feeling of a steel cross bar on the bottom cushion becomes apparent, and very uncomfortable.  BTW, I always thought these would make a KILLER wagon, esp is say they added AWD!  FWIW, and I'm sure you already know, even some Camry models in the SE trim have pass through only, and again is a deal breaker for me.

Curious how do you feel about the 5th generation Avalon...  Man, that sure is one unpurdy mouth.  Thanks.

Rcc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2019, 08:52:56 AM »
Rcc, the 4th generation Avalon does seem like a very nice vehicle...  But unless I am mistaken, it too has no ability to fold down the rear seats...  Pass through only, correct?  How do you find your cars front seat comfort; Seems some report over not much time, the feeling of a steel cross bar on the bottom cushion becomes apparent, and very uncomfortable.  BTW, I always thought these would make a KILLER wagon, esp is say they added AWD!  FWIW, and I'm sure you already know, even some Camry models in the SE trim have pass through only, and again is a deal breaker for me.

Curious how do you feel about the 5th generation Avalon...  Man, that sure is one unpurdy mouth.  Thanks.

Correct pass through only, doesn’t pass your fold down test. I’m struggling to come up with sedans where they are common. The answer to front seat comfort would be close to LS comfort. I saw some of the Toyota forums posts on that topic (and a guide to add foam etc). As perception is very personal, I’d say they are fine. DW says the lower bolstering is better on the Avalon. So.. I don’t have anything there I’d fix.

Saw the 5th gen. Not a fan of Toyota/Lexus increasingly doing the Cylon/manta Ray mouth. The center stack is a little too prominent to me. And GRR still no parking sensors as an option.

Also saw in the forums 5th gen gets back its “floaty” like suspension, but haven’t driven one to verify. I presume that to be urban legend.

Now if we could just get windows that were subwoofer/Harley-Davidson proof...

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2019, 12:24:03 PM »
I drove one as a loaner car while getting my sc430 serviced a few years ago. I was underwhelmed and disappointed since I had been considering moving from a two seater to a hatchback and have been very happy with lexus dependability. For me it didn't drive or feel like a luxury car so wasn't worth the higher price tag.

AFA MMM approval or not, MMM specifically mentioned this car in his latest youtube video of mustachian cars. However, he did not bring up the honda fit, which surprised me since they've gotten love on the forum for their low price and reliability. Maybe he wanted to lean in hard on the hybrids.

ShoulderThingThatGoesUp

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2019, 04:24:45 AM »
Depending on driving style, consider a Ford C-Max Energi. The interior is really nicely done and comfortable, the efficiency on gas is basically the same as that Lexus, and when plugged in the efficiency for the first 15-20 miles is much, much higher. And, it’s a hatchback.

It’s a canceled model that had software issues (since corrected) in its first year, so used values are low. I’ve had mine (bought used) for three years now and the only real problem it has had was when a rat ate a sensor wire.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2019, 07:30:21 AM »
I was underwhelmed and disappointed since I had been considering moving from a two seater to a hatchback and have been very happy with lexus dependability. For me it didn't drive or feel like a luxury car so wasn't worth the higher price tag.

Even w/o driving, or examining one in person, spending anywhere near MSRP for a new one seemed crazy to me for the powertrain involved, and how it was touted...  The person I'm helping is smitten with it's looks and features - Of course I'm the counterbalance of practicality, driving dynamics, and value for money.  IMO, it's a real shame they did not drop in say a slightly modded/even stock 2.5L 'Camry' engine in at least one version, option it with a nice 5/6sp manual, and really have something going on...  Even I'd be all about that, especially seeing how inexpensively these CT 200h's are selling for used currently.

Depending on driving style, consider a Ford C-Max Energi.

Thanks for the tip, I'll mention it to them as well.  I see these buzzing around my neck of the woods every so often, and they look very practical... Almost as if Ford made a Matrix.  For all of the faults a Matrix has IMO and experience being a current 06 owner, they are about as practical as it gets.  Only other vehicle in the Toyota/Scion family that I think does it better overall is the xB.  Fuel mileage is not very good, but talk about practicality and interior volume considering outside dimensions.  Great cars, and a damn shame Scion/Toyota dropped them IMO.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2019, 08:49:39 AM »
Correct pass through only (for the Avalon), doesn’t pass your fold down test.

... So I have considered something like this as close to an Avalon as I can get if, if I can score a great cash deal:

https://www.leasecarsales2.com/2017_Toyota_Camry_Warrensville%20Heights_OH_26265698.veh

17 Camry XLE v6.  Have owned, and driven many Camrys, like them very well, but have also owned many hatches/wagons too...  It's tough to give up on them, being how damn practical they are.   

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2019, 11:17:55 AM »
It's a Prius in a tuxedo.

Yep. The CT 200h is a fancy Prius. If you like the Prius but wanted it slightly fancier (but not faster) then it seems reasonable. On the used market I think they are a good deal.

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2019, 08:38:10 AM »
Update.

The gal I was helping with her car decision, ended up going with a CT 200h.  I told her of the C-max, and others, but having bad experiences with her local dealers concerning the other choices, the Lexus just seemed to be a better solution for her.  I went to the dealership to help go over the cars mechanicals, computer scan, body condition, help with negotiations, etc.

The dealership was not a Lexus one, but the car came from a Lexus dealership under their group, and was previously Lexus (L-certified) certified.

Vehicle was a 2012 premium package (leather, dual heated seats, navigation, kitchen sink, etc) with 66k miles.  It was Lexus dealer serviced, and everything checked out upon my inspection very well.  Me, her and the salesperson went on the test drive (see how it did with weight), and she liked it very well.  She was a bit timid testing the vehicle, where I was not.  It had better power than I thought, very good brakes, but my continued dislike for anything CVT remains...  It was better than some, esp on the highway.  Handling was far better than expected, comfort while tight was good, and it looks very upscale in person, both inside and out.  Pleasantly surprised, and as it stands IMO, a very good value too.

This car was like going from a Model-T, to a spaceship...  The quick guide is 98 pages, the owners manual 750 pages+!  The hybrid system is absolutely amazing, and I can believe some folks get 50+ MPG.  While from a mechanical standpoint I like ICE just fine, I can see how clever and efficient this hybrid system is - Pretty seamless, with enough  theatere going on inside to look 'cool', not too garish, and not feel/seem like it's just a gussied up Matrix/IM.  She solo'd the negotiations, and was happy with the $13,500 OTD price.  Dealership was good, and the over-all experience was very pleasant.  Simply my opinion, but for not much more than used Corolla money, and you might want to dip a toe into the realm of hybrids, this CT 200h seems way OK to me.  Stock photo of the same car...  Really sharp in person, with a very nice level of build quality (100% made in Japan).

Rcc

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2019, 02:33:38 PM »
Cool, good to hear she likes it. I spent a few minutes trying to recall any mods I made, or would, but aside from window tinting and a cargo hitch, nope nothing.oh, she might want to line the bottom of the cup holders with foam, or that mesh cabinet liner. Cups can rattle in there 😀

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2019, 01:58:30 PM »
Cool, good to hear she likes it. I spent a few minutes trying to recall any mods I made, or would, but aside from window tinting and a cargo hitch, nope nothing.oh, she might want to line the bottom of the cup holders with foam, or that mesh cabinet liner. Cups can rattle in there 😀

Thanks for the tip Rcc, I'll pass it on.  Noticed too, the vehicle did not come with that goofy cell phone/"media holder" device, shown attached...  Guess it left with the previous owner.

lizh

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2019, 09:12:52 PM »
I'm late to this thread but wanted to chime in to say I bought a used 2015 lexus CT200h about 2 years ago. It had about 20K miles when I bought it.  I love it! Very comfy and peppy enough. I had driven my last car into the ground (a golf).  I have a pretty long commute (between 1.25 to 2.+ hours).  I wish I had gotten the option with the back up camera though. I haven't had any service issues.

I hope your friend is happy with it!

Holyoak

• Bristles
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2019, 05:34:22 AM »
I'm late to this thread but wanted to chime in to say I bought a used 2015 lexus CT200h about 2 years ago. It had about 20K miles when I bought it.  I love it! Very comfy and peppy enough. I had driven my last car into the ground (a golf).  I have a pretty long commute (between 1.25 to 2.+ hours).  I wish I had gotten the option with the back up camera though. I haven't had any service issues.

I hope your friend is happy with it!

Thanks Lizh, she seems well pleased with her CT 200h.  Her version does have the back-up camera, but no tachometer when switched into 'sport' mode...  The display, selector knob and ambient light go to red from blue, but the eco/charge indicator remains so.  These cars are kinda confusing as for specs - Seems there are only base and premium versions (F-Sport too), but within them are a confusing mix of options, not as constrained as with other makes.

Curious as to what mileage you are experiencing?  I was reading of how some folks got 50+ MPG on their commutes!  My friend told me her milage indicator says 41 mpg avg with a mix of some highway and lots of putting around.  I will reiterate - In my opinion these CT 200h vehicles represent an extremely good used car value, esp for commuters/folks who want to go hybrid but want a more conventional look...  Out the door price of $13,500 and you get:

- LED headlights
- 10 way drivers seat w/3 memory settings
- Leather seating
- Sunroof
- Nice alloy wheels
- Touch lock/unlock doors
- Fog lights
- Multi link front and rear suspension (torsion bar for Corolla/Matrix)
- Heated front seats
- Auto dual zone climate control
- Pop-up LCD screen with built in navigation, and back-up camera
- Great stereo
- 100% Made in Japan quality, from an apex quality maker

Etc, etc...

They are FAR more upscale than an IM/Matrix/Corolla/tC, and IMO again, one of the best looking hatchbacks ever offered in the US.  Here is the same cheerful, bright interior as my friends car, with an optional bamboo insert...  Classy, functional, comfortable, and 40+ MPG doing anything seems OK by me, especially for not much more than Corolla money.