Author Topic: technology! internet! Canada! What will I do?  (Read 1351 times)

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
technology! internet! Canada! What will I do?
« on: September 16, 2018, 08:32:19 PM »
In a moment of ill health, Carry Telecom, providers of cheap, barely adequate internet service and horrific customer service called last week to give less than a months notice to cancel my service. And offer me a more expensive (on par with quality provider pricing) special deal.

I declined.

Now I'm deciding if I want home internet. And if I don't, what do I need to modify?

If I decline new internet... I can set an autoresponder in my email that I am a slow responder. I can also put a self righteous mindfulness internet use statement in my online branding to avoid negative effects there.

I can have email and my calendar update at work, and go to public wifi to work or update on days off.

I can answer email offline and it will send when I connect.

But I think that will mean accelerating the purchase of a new laptop. Or can I usb key everything from my desktop to a library computer?

Desktop computer is noticeably but not urgently ageing. I predict 6 months till I start saying I replace her and 6 months till she gives the fuck up.  Desktop computer also plays DVDs... Possibly I would need to scour the Kijiji for a tv dvd something? Desktop computer also runs calibre. I love calibre.

I am enamoured of dating fuck off to society's insistence y home internet

What do I need in devices that I will be able to
-lightly blog/market/make ecourses (can write all from the offline world)
-watch DVDs from the library or download from the interwebs to watch later
-email
-ecalendar
-write recreationally
-transfer content to my phone if needed
-use calibre to load library books onto my beloved kindle
-other than fucking around on my phone being lazy....can you think of functions I'm missing?

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
Re: technology! internet! Canada! What will I do?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 09:38:59 PM »
You and I have some similar elements in our lives (self-employment, disability concerns, etc) so although you aren't rural, some of this might be relevant. I had only intermittent service for three years previous to my newest life. That was not ideal, but okay.

I implemented workarounds:

*type stuff (onto laptop, yes) then take laptop to internet and hit send on everything

*ensure regular backups of work, because the cloud won't be doing that stuff

*yes, let people know I had slow response time to all forms of messages

*ensure laptop has DVD/CD drive, or get external one (lots of new ones don't have one)

*excellent noise-cancelling earphones for internetting in public places

*if privacy is a concern (e.g. confidential client stuff), something to make your screen more private -lots of coffee shops, libraries, etc, have seating arranged such that your screen is visible to all; I don't like that

Some places it was trickier, making me glad I have great service again:

*being on hold - I didn't have cell minutes for that; internet allows the up-to-two-hours some businesses need to answer

*when sick/injured: lying on a rec centre hall floor to send out my work sucked; having no contact with ppl sucked

*emergency-type services: since I also had little to no cell reception, sporadic internet was an important aspect of the plan

*managing all communications: I hate when ppl talk on phones in shared spaces, so I generally don't do it. I find it very helpful to have internet in a place where I can talk on a phone, while accessing documents, websites, my calendar, etc, all at the same time. Ditto when child's supports insist on doing video calls.

In your situation, I might label home-internet a near need.

okits

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 10:02:01 PM »
I've always wondered about possibly paying a neighbour (who has unlimited data with their home internet) for their wifi password.  Do people do this?

joonifloofeefloo

• Magnum Stache
  • On a forum break :)
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 10:03:21 PM »
People do. There've been heated debates on this forum about it. It's against many service contracts.

ElleFiji

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 01:25:50 PM »
I think....worst case scenario, I will just suck it up and buy internet in a few months if I give in. Jooni- sick days were a definite concern.

I do have unlimited calling and texting. But sometimes internet internet is cool.

I'm also considering a post it note on the apart door next to me. We don't know names...but we do pet each others' escapee cats. So we're basically friends, yes?

I don't have emotional energy for MORE things.

Looking online, all the cool minimalists give up internet and it makes them cooler. So that's also an option.