Author Topic: Tech gurus: is it time to get rid of my iPhone 4s?  (Read 4416 times)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
Tech gurus: is it time to get rid of my iPhone 4s?
« on: September 13, 2016, 09:11:55 AM »
So it looks like Apple will stop supporting iPhone 4s once the new version of the operating software comes out in the fall.  Does it mean that my iPhone 4s will not function properly or can I just ignore the new version of the software and continue using it with the old software? 

MMMaybe

• Bristles
Re: Tech gurus: is it time to get rid of my iPhone 4s?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 01:15:47 PM »
I am wondering the same thing. My 4S still works pretty well but maybe I will need to replace it now?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 01:21:14 PM »
you can keep using it just like if you have a PC running windows 95 you can still use it.

notactiveanymore

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2016, 01:26:58 PM »
The last few months I had my iPhone 4, each day it seemed like I could no longer use the apps I regularly used. It was after they had a major iOS upgrade which I couldn't download. The app developers must've responded to the upgrade and one by one they stopped opening.

I'd hang on until that starts happening. But be warned, it's probably soon.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2016, 01:39:31 PM »
you can keep using it just like if you have a PC running windows 95 you can still use it.

But will the apps know that I'm running on an old version of the operating system so that they don't update themselves to new versions? 

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2016, 01:46:05 PM »

This is not good advice.  The problem is that it's not supported.  Apple actually takes security fairly seriously.  When you fall off of the update cycle, every single security bug out there is now your problem.  It's not just bad for you.  It's bad for the rest of the interwebs.   At this point you become like the new age hippie that won't vaccinate their child.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 02:15:40 PM »

This is not good advice.  The problem is that it's not supported.  Apple actually takes security fairly seriously.  When you fall off of the update cycle, every single security bug out there is now your problem.  It's not just bad for you.  It's bad for the rest of the interwebs.   At this point you become like the new age hippie that won't vaccinate their child.

so buy phones from a company that isnt proprietary Crapple.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 02:22:46 PM »

so buy phones from a company that isnt proprietary Crapple.

This wasn't meant to be pro or anti Apple.  The last Apple product I owned was an Apple II.  The same concept applies to every phone out there.  It's not good advice or a good plan to use unsupported software.  This is true of Apple.  True of Windows.  True of Linux.  True of Android.  True for all.

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 02:27:27 PM »
I have an iPhone 4 (not even S) that works just fine as a phone.

I set up an old iPhone 3G (not GS) for my tech-challenged brother that works just fine as a phone --and as a music player, albeit with the giant rectal spasm that is (and always has been) iTunes.

There is no reason any iPhone will mysteriously stop working as a telephone because Apple no longer "supports" it.

If you have completely other plans for the use of your cellphone handset, or you just feel queasy because other people feel queasy, ignore this. 

No, it is not like being an anti-vaxxer.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:29:25 PM by bobechs »

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 02:35:33 PM »

I set up an old iPhone 3G (not GS) for my tech-challenged brother that works just fine as a phone --and as a music player, albeit with the giant rectal spasm that is (and always has been) iTunes.

There is no reason any iPhone will mysteriously stop working as a telephone because Apple no longer "supports" it.

If you have completely other plans for the use of your cellphone handset, or you just feel queasy because other people feel queasy, ignore this. 

Yes, I use the 4s primarily as a phone but also to send and receive iMessages, FaceTime, to check e-mail, to stream Pandora (through wifi), to check the weather forecast and some random apps from time time.  It works great and looks brand new, so I really have no reason to get rid of it.  I was hoping to get another couple of years out of it.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 02:36:48 PM »

If you have an internet connected device that is being used and full of security vulnerabilities... Yes, it is.  You become a jumping off target for attacking others.

I've been a network security guy since about 1992.  I've worked at ISPs dealing with people running buggy, out of date computers and routers.  It's pretty darn close to anti vax.  You want to launch a DoS?  There's a good chance it's just a network of people that haven't updated their software, managed by some thugs.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2016, 09:08:16 AM »
So is the consensus that I should replace it?  Or is there some sort of a work around?

bobechs

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2016, 09:46:25 AM »

If you have an internet connected device that is being used and full of security vulnerabilities... Yes, it is.  You become a jumping off target for attacking others.

I've been a network security guy since about 1992.  I've worked at ISPs dealing with people running buggy, out of date computers and routers.  It's pretty darn close to anti vax.  You want to launch a DoS?  There's a good chance it's just a network of people that haven't updated their software, managed by some thugs.

I guess it's easier to quote than to read.

Hey!   It is!..... it is easier to quote than to read!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!