Author Topic: Taxes  (Read 7620 times)

Stacheintraining

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Taxes
« on: March 16, 2014, 01:14:23 PM »
Hi All - Sorry if this is a repost... but with April 15th coming up, how do you all file your taxes? What software/service do you use? This is my first year filing independently so I want to get it right, preferably without spending any money.

Thanks!

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
Re: Taxes
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 01:21:12 PM »
I use Free Tax USA. Federal is free, state is about $10.

Fletch

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 01:25:43 PM »
If your income is below $30k Turbo tax is free, otherwise I used the $20 version this year. I think you can file free directly at IRS website (at least the 1040 EZ? maybe I'm just imagining this), but that probably takes more time and research to make sure you don't miss anything.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 01:27:49 PM »
We use TurboTax. Ours is about $100 but that includes the business version and allows us to generate 1099s and W-2s.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 02:40:58 PM »
If your income is less than about $50K, the United Way and the IRS run a free tax (fed and state) prep and e-filing program called VITA.  If you are over 65 (?), there may not be an income limit.

The preparers are trained, and the return is audited by experts before filing.  The teams are well versed in getting you the best return possible.  I volunteered 2years ago and learned that income taxes for lower income folks can be really complicated!

The program has sites in various locations, check online for a location near you.

Nothlit

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 03:13:37 PM »
TaxAct.com has a free federal e-filing option regardless of income. Some states operate their own free e-filing system. Mine does (Massachusetts).

Joel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 04:32:59 PM »

I use this website as well, but I file my state taxes on the California website for free.

Weedy Acres

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 04:37:12 PM »
Turbotax, file electronically.  Our taxes are too complicated for the free version.

Stacheintraining

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 10:41:04 AM »
Thanks, G-dog. I just scheduled an appointment today!

If your income is less than about $50K, the United Way and the IRS run a free tax (fed and state) prep and e-filing program called VITA.  If you are over 65 (?), there may not be an income limit.

The preparers are trained, and the return is audited by experts before filing.  The teams are well versed in getting you the best return possible.  I volunteered 2years ago and learned that income taxes for lower income folks can be really complicated!

The program has sites in various locations, check online for a location near you.

Psychstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 12:06:30 PM »
TaxAct.com has a free federal e-filing option regardless of income. Some states operate their own free e-filing system. Mine does (Massachusetts).

+1

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 12:23:22 PM »
I used TurboTax for free to do federal. They wanted 14.99 to do state taxes, but I laughed at that.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 12:26:15 PM »
Just did them with TurboTax and had to step up to the premier level dammit. So I had to pay something like $37 with the sales tax. :(

I usually do them online at TT's site and don't pay anything, but we had some cap loss/gains and inheritance issues that complicated the paperwork. Next year should be back to free. :)

I don't have state taxes, so don't know about those.

eefool

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 01:53:04 PM »
Just finished it this weekend. Someone in my family buys Turbotax and it gets passed around. Submitted Federal online. Didn't qualify for the free California filing due to capital gains, so heading out to the post office soon.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 08:01:35 PM »
Thanks, G-dog. I just scheduled an appointment today!

Great!  Take all your info, including DL, SS cards for you, spouse, and any dependents (filing status = head of household is a great option for folks helping out family, etc. at a significant rate).  You'll check in,fill out forms and hand over the info, then likely wait - even with an appt since it is mostly walk-ins.  Your return can be deposited to a bank account, but there are some other options. The yep will also be able to give you a good estimate of when to expect your Fed refund if you e-file, it is usually 10-14 days if I remember right.

They file the returns the same day. If you forget something, they can hold the file until you get the data to them (best to do this quickly, like the next day).  When I was there, often folks would run home and get the missing item the same day.

I'd love to volunteer there again, but if did feel like an idiot much of the time.  I think the auditors found a correction on every single return I prepped, except maybe one.  And I was slow, small type on w-2s and poor lighting don't help, and the software is not particularly intuitive.

I'd love to hear how this goes for you.  PM me if you want to report out.

bikebum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 05:03:54 PM »

I use this website as well, but I file my state taxes on the California website for free.

Thanks for the idea; I did it too this time.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 05:05:59 PM »
TaxAct. Better and cheaper than turbotax