Author Topic: Tax Time - Most mustachian option for prep and filing?  (Read 13825 times)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
Tax Time - Most mustachian option for prep and filing?
« on: February 04, 2016, 02:29:51 PM »
So it's that time of the year again... What is the most mustachian option for tax return prep?

In the past, I shared TurboTax with my ex, but I think I will go on my own this year.  Is TurboTax the way to go?  Have they fixed last year's issue with not including all the schedules in the most popular version?   I need something that will do dividends and capital gains (or losses) in addition to regular earned income.  I also pay AMT so need something that will handle that.  Federal and one state (which last year I just mailed in to save the e-filing fee).

Any recommendations?

Mr. Green

• Magnum Stache
Re: Tax Time - Most mustachian option for prep and filing?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 02:33:38 PM »
Are you against doing your own taxes? I file a 1040, Schedules A, B, C, and D, the HSA form, and I have to fill out the AMT worksheet. I do it by hand every year. I don't find the instructions overly complicated and I enjoy understanding the calculations that actually make the numbers turn out the way they do. That understanding has allowed me to make a spreadsheet that is basically a rolling tax return during the year as my pay checks come in so I know if enough tax is being withheld, etc. I'm sure TurboTax is thoroughly vetted by people but I was always nervous about just plugging all my data into software and assuming it comes up with the right figures.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 02:37:48 PM »
TaxAct is reasonable and effective. I think it gets up to $30 for business expenses. Last year, I compared to my accountant (first and last time I did that) and it was very similar. I had a lot of changes and wanted audit protection though so I paid for that piece of mind.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 02:45:08 PM »
I used the free fillable forms and free e-file on the IRS website this year. Worked great.  TaxAct was going to charge me because I had capital gains this year (previously they let me file for free).

My state also has its own free e-file system, so I no longer have to send in any forms.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 02:53:52 PM by NotJen »

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 02:52:50 PM »
Are you against doing your own taxes? I file a 1040, Schedules A, B, C, and D, the HSA form, and I have to fill out the AMT worksheet. I do it by hand every year. I don't find the instructions overly complicated and I enjoy understanding the calculations that actually make the numbers turn out the way they do. That understanding has allowed me to make a spreadsheet that is basically a rolling tax return during the year as my pay checks come in so I know if enough tax is being withheld, etc. I'm sure TurboTax is thoroughly vetted by people but I was always nervous about just plugging all my data into software and assuming it comes up with the right figures.

I used to do them by hand when I was young but now it just seems way to complicated, especially with the AMT.  Oh, and I also did mega back door Roth last year that involved a split rollover from my 401k...  I'd be scared that I left off some schedule or other.

I'm actually debating whether I should use a CPA just to make sure I won't miss anything...

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 04:02:03 PM »
Just for giggles, I asked Deloitte for a quote on preparing my personal tax return for this year (they did my taxes for prior years but was paid for by employer), and they have balls to quote me $5,000. I would rather get TaxCut (what I used years ago) and risk getting audited/fined then paying $5k for their service.

My tax situation is a bit complicated: expat overseas for majority of 2015 (and prior years), but returned at the end of 2015; employer did the tax equalization thing when I was overseas (so I didn't really use any earned income exclusion for those years); have rental properties in 2 states. I hope the more expensive version of TaxCut can deal with these situations...finger crossed.

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 04:04:45 PM »
I use turbotax.  I used to do it myself until they required efiling.  I don't qualify for the free filing, so since I have to pay anyways I just use turbotax.  I know it's making mistakes and giving me back too much money, but the mandatory efiling + fee is such total bullshit that I don't care anymore.

JimLahey

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 04:15:20 PM »
I filed completely free using the H&R Block software. Granted my taxes aren't all that complicated and my income is below the threshold for free filing. This is my second year using their software.

aFrugalFather

• Stubble
    • Life/Finance Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 04:27:00 PM »
I heard that the Turbotax Delux is not crippled like last year but still I am switching to HRBlock.  I bought the software for $15, can't get much cheaper than that.

Dollar Slice

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 04:55:51 PM »
For the first 16 years of filing I did pencil and paper. I had a super-simple tax return: one W2, standard deduction, nothing unusual. The last few years I've had capital gains and dividends to deal with (from bonds, stocks, and Lending Club), a little more of a pain but not too bad. Then last year I moved out of state and had to file in two states (and factor in the local city tax), and I had two jobs, and I did the Lending Club IPO, and I bought and sold a bunch of shares, and I had state-specific municipal bond dividends, and I finally caved and got TaxAct. The amount of time it saved me was easily worth the purchase price in terms of hourly wages. I picked it because it was the cheapest of the major tax software companies.

This year will be simpler... back to one job, one state, and only having to worry about one W2 and some capital gains. Not sure if I will do paper and pencil again, or maybe the hedonic adaptation of using the software has gotten its grip on me... ;-)

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 10:15:33 PM »
I used to do them by hand when I was young but now it just seems way to complicated, especially with the AMT.  Oh, and I also did mega back door Roth last year that involved a split rollover from my 401k...  I'd be scared that I left off some schedule or other.

Eh, AMT isn't so bad.  See a quick and dirty spreadsheet version in the case study spreadsheet.  See a much fancier version in www.excel1040.com.

See also http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/turbo-tax-vs-cpa/ for a similar discussion.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 08:12:52 AM »
I'm a CPA and do my own, but I do like to use Tax Act for federal because they let me e-file for free.  I had capital gains, a schedule F, schedule C.  Not too complex, but a bit beyond basic.  It was still free.  It sounds like maybe that isn't the case anymore from this thread?  That's a bummer.  If that's the case, I'll be filling out pdfs from the IRS.

I use turbotax.  I used to do it myself until they required efiling.  I don't qualify for the free filing, so since I have to pay anyways I just use turbotax.  I know it's making mistakes and giving me back too much money, but the mandatory efiling + fee is such total bullshit that I don't care anymore.

Required e-filing?!  I'm pretty sure individuals can still send in paper returns.  efiling is required for paid preparers that file over a certain number of returns, I think.  If I'm wrong, can someone please point in the direction for some support of the requirement?

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2016, 08:15:53 AM »
OpenOffice Calc (i.e., a spreadsheet) + Free File Fillable Forms.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2016, 08:51:09 AM »
I'm a CPA and do my own, but I do like to use Tax Act for federal because they let me e-file for free.  I had capital gains, a schedule F, schedule C.  Not too complex, but a bit beyond basic.  It was still free.  It sounds like maybe that isn't the case anymore from this thread?  That's a bummer.  If that's the case, I'll be filling out pdfs from the IRS.

Maybe it was because I took the foreign tax credit?  TaxAct doesn't do 1040 or Sch A free this year.  I'm pretty sure I used them to submit a 1040 in previous years (not 1040A), but I'm not around my records to check.

Nothlit

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 09:00:51 AM »
Another former TaxAct user here; this year I'm using FreeTaxUSA.com. And then I file my state taxes through a free web site offered by my state (MA).

stlbrah

• Bristles
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2016, 06:11:27 AM »
I don't think I would use TaxAct at least for another year since they had a data breach, but thats up to you really
http://www.idtheftcenter.org/Data-Breaches/taxslayer-taxact-both-victims-of-data-breaches.html

Turbotax jacked the prices up like crazy. They want $55 if you sold any investments for the base price, and then another $35 to e-file state.

I'm thinking of using HR Block

DebtFreeBy25

• Stubble
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2016, 06:27:58 AM »
I don't think I would use TaxAct at least for another year since they had a data breach, but thats up to you really
http://www.idtheftcenter.org/Data-Breaches/taxslayer-taxact-both-victims-of-data-breaches.html

Turbotax jacked the prices up like crazy. They want $55 if you sold any investments for the base price, and then another $35 to e-file state.

I'm thinking of using HR Block

Check your state's tax department website. Many states have an option to file directly with them, and state taxes are much simpler than federal taxes.

I've used TurboTax for the past few years because we have capital gains and other complexities from investment income that exclude us from filing a 1040EZ. I believe I paid $69 (after coupon code) to file our federal taxes last year which I thought was pretty outrageous. If I can't find a better price, I may be filling out the file myself this year.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2016, 07:13:23 AM »

To be fair, according to the article linked from that article:

Quote from: Article
The spokeswoman said there is “no evidence that any TaxAct system has been compromised" and that the company believes the customer names and passwords were obtained elsewhere.

kimmarg

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2016, 07:17:00 AM »
I filed completely free using the H&R Block software. Granted my taxes aren't all that complicated and my income is below the threshold for free filing. This is my second year using their software.

I did this until my income got to high and now I pay the $30/year version of it. Why pay? Well the first year I used it they found me a $200 credit I didn't even know existed, so that's still covering my cost of paying for it 3 years later. I have having to run all the options for school credits too I like it just doing it and picking the best one for me.

Paul der Krake

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2016, 07:33:20 AM »
Good tax prep occurs well before you file. There are a few things you can do at the last minute such as topping up or recharacterizing your IRA contributions; but by and large, the real money saving decisions must occur in advance.

For filing, the Mustachian option is to do your taxes yourself, unless you have a complicated situation that warrants hiring an expert. Soak in the knowledge, and apply what you learn for even better tax prep for the next year.

Learning and understanding the tax code is easily one of the highest ROI activities you can engage in a couple hours. There are no good reasons not to do it. Some of us weirdos even find it enjoyable.

icemodeled

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2016, 08:06:30 PM »
We have a CPA and havent paid anything in 2 years (hes a family friend) though this year he will be charging. We have 2 businesses,  rental income, w2s ect so I let the pro do it. Before that we always filed free online.. not sure the site but im sure theres a few out there. Once we sell the businesses we will file ourselves again. I keep good records through the years so always have gotten a discount from past CPAs due to them having less work.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2016, 08:41:29 PM »
I use TurboTax and get a discount for being a Fido customer (so I pay $40 for the deluxe version - which handles all my investment LTCG/dividends).

I believe in the Simplifying > Optimizing philosophy. More here:
http://affordanything.com/2016/01/26/feeling-overwhelmed-heres-why-simplifying-is-the-smarter-choice/

I'm pretty sure I could find tax prep cheaper at this point if I examined and fretted (trust me, I'd agonize over this stuff if I allowed myself to look) and didn't mind filling out lots of forms and reading lots of different publications and spending hours double/triple checking my work. But I like the ease of filing with TT, so I'm fine with paying a bit more to have the simplicity. It's worth the few extra bucks to not spend hours dealing with it. It took me at most 20 minutes.

And I have already received my refund too (~6 days since filing).

JustTrying

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2016, 11:16:23 PM »
I've used TurboTax my whole life other than the first few years when we got married. Hubs is self-employed so we were nervous to do it ourselves, so we used H&R Block during the "break." Then we realized how outrageously expensive they were and decided to go back to using software. I kind of "need" TurboTax, I definitely don't think I could figure it out by hand like some of these mustachians do. That being said, it was nearly $1000 the last time we used H&R Block, so I don't mind paying $70 to TurboTax...I'm not really the most mustachian individual on the planet! I don't even save half my income! :)

I don't actually know what you're referring to re: the problem with TurboTax last year though.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2016, 04:48:17 AM »
Good tax prep occurs well before you file. There are a few things you can do at the last minute such as topping up or recharacterizing your IRA contributions; but by and large, the real money saving decisions must occur in advance.

For filing, the Mustachian option is to do your taxes yourself, unless you have a complicated situation that warrants hiring an expert. Soak in the knowledge, and apply what you learn for even better tax prep for the next year.

Learning and understanding the tax code is easily one of the highest ROI activities you can engage in a couple hours. There are no good reasons not to do it. Some of us weirdos even find it enjoyable.
Paul, I do tax planning throughout the year.  But I would rather spend a couple of hours in a dentist chair than learning the tax code :-)  Been there done that (I was actually VITA tax preparer a few years ago and had to learn the stuff - painful!).  I do my DD's educational trust tax returns by hand and even though they are rather simple, the day I have to digest the instructions is the most boring and tedious day of the year for me...

I use TurboTax and get a discount for being a Fido customer (so I pay $40 for the deluxe version - which handles all my investment LTCG/dividends).

I believe in the Simplifying > Optimizing philosophy. More here:
http://affordanything.com/2016/01/26/feeling-overwhelmed-heres-why-simplifying-is-the-smarter-choice/

I'm pretty sure I could find tax prep cheaper at this point if I examined and fretted (trust me, I'd agonize over this stuff if I allowed myself to look) and didn't mind filling out lots of forms and reading lots of different publications and spending hours double/triple checking my work. But I like the ease of filing with TT, so I'm fine with paying a bit more to have the simplicity. It's worth the few extra bucks to not spend hours dealing with it. It took me at most 20 minutes.

And I have already received my refund too (~6 days since filing).
Frankies Girl, I couldn't agree more!  I have most of my accounts at Fidelity so I will just use their discount and get TurboTax.  Thank you.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2016, 07:30:48 AM »
Either way, make sure that if you're getting an accountant that you don't say "I have to do my taxes."

A neighbor was whining about having to do hers, and then I asked her if she did them by hand or used software. She says "oh, no, I just get all the papers together and drop them off with my CPA."

THAT'S NOT DOING YOUR DAMN TAXES! That's gathering papers that were mailed to you and handing them off. /rant

TheOldestYoungMan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2016, 12:38:34 PM »

Required e-filing?!  I'm pretty sure individuals can still send in paper returns.  efiling is required for paid preparers that file over a certain number of returns, I think.  If I'm wrong, can someone please point in the direction for some support of the requirement?

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/E-File-Options

You can still file a paper return, unless you don't have a printer.  They stopped sending the forms in the mail because efiling is just so vastly superior, but in order to efile you either have to pay or make under a certain amount.  The idea that there is not a badass webform for doing your taxes, pre-filled with all info already provided to the feds, especially with all the money the feds have collected on your behalf already, complete with any deductions/credits they know you qualify for, blows my mind.

The future is now everywhere, except for the IRS.  Rant!  Done!  Thanks for playing.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2016, 02:33:52 PM »
https://www.irs.gov/Filing/E-File-Options

You can still file a paper return, unless you don't have a printer.  They stopped sending the forms in the mail because efiling is just so vastly superior, but in order to efile you either have to pay or make under a certain amount. The idea that there is not a badass webform for doing your taxes, pre-filled with all info already provided to the feds, especially with all the money the feds have collected on your behalf already, complete with any deductions/credits they know you qualify for, blows my mind.

The future is now everywhere, except for the IRS.  Rant!  Done!  Thanks for playing.

I have no idea where this misonception comes from. I've seen this alot. And it's possible other people upthread have said the same, I haven't read all the posts. But it is utterly wrong.

If you click through your link for IRS free fillable forms, you get to https://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File:-Do-Your-Federal-Taxes-for-Free

Where it says
Income below $62,000: Free File Software
  • Use free tax prep software
  • Software makes taxes easier
  • State returns available, some are free
  • Help me find Free File software

And then below that it says
Income above $62,000: Free File Fillable Forms
  • Free Fillable, electronic versions of the paper forms
  • Must know how to do your taxes yourself
  • Does math; offers only basic guidance
  • State tax prep is not available

It's the tax software that's only free to people with an income below $62k. The ability to file your returns electronically is free to all.

Eric

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2016, 02:36:55 PM »
I've used the Free Fillable Forms for many years now.  Can confirm the price of $0.00 no matter your income.  Plus you get practice at actually doing your taxes, which can only help with your income planning post-FIRE.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2016, 02:45:02 PM »
Taxes are easy. Do them on pen and paper. (Or online fill in forms.)

merula

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2016, 03:05:23 PM »
I used TurboTax for years, but last year went the Free Fillable Forms route. My process was:
  • Do the forms by hand, to get a number
  • Do TurboTax (free to start!) to verify that number
  • Enter the info from my paper forms into Free Fillable Forms
  • Print off state forms and mail them in

More complicated than it needed to be, but I liked double checking my work.

However, this year, having upped retirement contributions, I actually did qualify for the Free File software, but I only found out about it after steps 1 and 2 above. Since Turbotax wasn't one of the options, I figured it was probably going to be less work to just do the Free Fillable Forms at that point.

Only I forgot that you have to key in your entire W-2. And that State was not part of the Free Fillable Forms but would be part of the Free File software (for my state, at least).

So, I didn't save myself any time and also paid for two stamps (I opted for a 9"x12" envelope for state) that I wouldn't have had to do if I had just done the Free File. And then my federal return was rejected twice because I miskeyed the W-2 and  I missed the box where you total your exemptions (assuming, wrongly, that the "calculate" button would do it for me).

Overall, I would recommend Free Fillable Forms; it was easier for me than TurboTax, and I'm planning to try and convince my sister to do her more complicated taxes that way. But I would not recommend using Free Fillable Forms if you qualify for IRS Free File.

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 02:20:49 PM »
The idea that there is not a badass webform for doing your taxes, pre-filled with all info already provided to the feds, especially with all the money the feds have collected on your behalf already, complete with any deductions/credits they know you qualify for, blows my mind.

It's not the IRS's fault; it's TurboTax's lobbyists' fault.

chesebert

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2016, 10:32:49 AM »
I am finally done with my 2015 taxes. It must have taken me 30-40 hours. 1040 + 15 additional forms. Good god, our tax system is messed up. I don't know how people did their taxes before software.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2016, 12:29:40 PM »
I ended up getting TurboTax on a CD (from Costco).  E-filed my federal return but mailed in the state one.

I am finally done with my 2015 taxes. It must have taken me 30-40 hours. 1040 + 15 additional forms. Good god, our tax system is messed up. I don't know how people did their taxes before software.

100% agree with this sentiment.  Even with TurboTax, it took me a lot of time to do it - I input the info according to their questions but I always look at the actual forms and make sure that everything looks right. 

Our system is a total mess.  I don't mind paying taxes, but I do mind the fact that it takes a CPA to really understand how to prepare a (what should be simple and straighforward) individual tax return.  Ugh!

charis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2016, 12:36:04 PM »
Why aren't more people working up their taxes online, TaxAct, etc, and then transferring the info to the free efiling forms on the IRS website?  It's a free lazy person's alternative to doing them yourself.

mlr2016

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2016, 07:11:34 PM »
So it's that time of the year again... What is the most mustachian option for tax return prep?

In the past, I shared TurboTax with my ex, but I think I will go on my own this year.  Is TurboTax the way to go?  Have they fixed last year's issue with not including all the schedules in the most popular version?   I need something that will do dividends and capital gains (or losses) in addition to regular earned income.  I also pay AMT so need something that will handle that.  Federal and one state (which last year I just mailed in to save the e-filing fee).

Any recommendations?

I'm a tax guy and recently left the public accounting realm.  I ran across the dilemma of where to turn to prepare my personal return (I was able to file for free using my previous employers tax software).  I'm lazy and really didn't want to break out the pencil and paper, so I used TaxHawk.  Federal is free and the State return was $12.95 to e-file.  I'd highly recommend it if you have a basic knowledge of your tax return and what it should look like.

teen persuasion

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2016, 09:25:31 PM »
Why aren't more people working up their taxes online, TaxAct, etc, and then transferring the info to the free efiling forms on the IRS website?  It's a free lazy person's alternative to doing them yourself.

Personally, I think it's faster to do the IRS forms than run thru all the Q & A of software.  I'd like to do the IRS fillable forms, but my state doesn't have ALL their forms in this format, especially ones for college credits and EITC, and the state requires e-filing, so I'm reduced to using their approved free SW vendors.  So I do it on paper first, then run it thru SW to efile (after they match my results).

I used TurboTax for years, then the state stopped supporting TT, and last year I tried one state link which turned out to be HRBlock in disguise.  They couldn't get the college credit correct for DD3 (TurboTax was correct).

Elle 8

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2016, 03:38:23 AM »
If you click through your link for IRS free fillable forms, you get to https://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File:-Do-Your-Federal-Taxes-for-Free

Where it says
Income below $62,000: Free File Software
  • Use free tax prep software
  • Software makes taxes easier
  • State returns available, some are free
  • Help me find Free File software

And then below that it says
Income above $62,000: Free File Fillable Forms
  • Free Fillable, electronic versions of the paper forms
  • Must know how to do your taxes yourself
  • Does math; offers only basic guidance
  • State tax prep is not available

It's the tax software that's only free to people with an income below $62k. The ability to file your returns electronically is free to all.

Thanks for this Johnny.  I had the misconception that I couldn't efile because my income was over $62k.  I thought the fillable forms meant you fill them out online, then print, and mail in.  I didn't realize you could efile them.  My taxes are very simple so I don't want to pay anything to file them.  Now I know I have another option to paper filing.

SMCx3

• Stubble
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2016, 04:47:32 AM »
We have stuck with Turbotax over the years.  We looked at other options including getting them done professionally, but $700-$1,500 seemed high compared to a few hours organizing documents and filing online ourselves.

zhelud

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2016, 10:27:21 AM »
The idea that there is not a badass webform for doing your taxes, pre-filled with all info already provided to the feds, especially with all the money the feds have collected on your behalf already, complete with any deductions/credits they know you qualify for, blows my mind.

It's not the IRS's fault; it's TurboTax's lobbyists' fault.

This.  Congress could easily allow the IRS to set up their own easy, free e-filing system, but they don't, due to pressure from tax preparers and companies like Turbotax.
My state (VA) had its own really easy free e-filing system for state taxes for a few years, until a certain political party beginning with R took over the legislature and decided that allowing the tax office to spend $50k/year to maintain it was a waste of money, and that tax prep should be done by the private sector, which of course costs taxpayers A LOT more.

meyling

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2016, 10:55:29 AM »
I mail my tax forms. Wasn't aware of any problems with that. Of course I'm still waiting on my refund...