Author Topic: Tax return "get my refund status" shows as not received?  (Read 4859 times)

nanu

• Bristles
Tax return "get my refund status" shows as not received?
« on: April 21, 2015, 07:44:04 AM »
I sent in my paper tax return around March 14 (my status means that I have to file by paper and not electronically),
so I figured that by now, it should show up on the IRS's website "get my refund status" thing (here: https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/irfofgetstatus.jsp), but it doesn't...

Any advice on what I should do? Should I call/contact the IRS somehow? Just mail my return again? Wait longer? (it's been about 5 weeks since I mailed it)

eqdonk

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Tax return "get my refund status" shows as not received?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 10:35:34 AM »
Call them.  If you mail another return, it may flag your name for identity theft if they do already have your initial return.  Their hotline should be able to tell you if they have it or if it is lost.  They will also be able to tell you how you should proceed in either scenario.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:38:23 AM by eqdonk »

The Pigeon

• Stubble
  • Now *I* drive the bus! *FIREd*!
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 02:35:32 PM »
Mine was sent Feb 22. As of April 14, I got the same website response as you. I called my CPA and he confirmed it was filed Feb 22.
I *just* checked the IRS website again, and it now shows that my return has been received, accepted and the check will be issued next week.

I also read some article a week+ ago that mentioned the IRS is way, way behind on processing.

Mine was filed electronically, but without a direct deposit option.

I think they're just S-L-O-W if you file the paper-way.

I'd wager you're OK!

-Pidge

mandy_2002

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 04:40:05 PM »
They sure did take my money without delay.  Surprise... or not. 

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2015, 11:15:17 AM »
You were right - just took them a while to process it. Tried again this morning and got an unfortunate message:
We have received your tax return and it is being reviewed. You will receive a notice from us requesting additional information within 30 calendar days. You may not receive all or part of your refund until we receive and review the information we requested. If you need more information after you receive our notice, call the number on the notice.

Please do not contact us until you have received the notice as we are unable to take any action until then.

Please read the following information related to your tax situation:

Tax Topic 151, Your Appeal Rights

At least I know they received it...

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 11:09:37 AM »
The IRS is usually slower than people expect. They do deposit the checks promptly, which as an auditor I highly approve of. (un-deposited checks are an invitation to theft)

In general, if you don't have evidence that they've received it, you should contact them to check.

nanu

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 11:33:43 AM »
Well, now I do have evidence that they received it (look at my previous post).
Unfortunately, I was hoping more for a "your return is on its way" than "we need more info from you" sort of reply...