Author Topic: Tax question...  (Read 2363 times)

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
Tax question...
« on: May 20, 2014, 12:29:31 PM »
I've gotten a new job out of state. We're currently in the offer stage for a home in the new state.  I'll end up working in the new state from my current state for a few weeks.

Just trying to make sure I understand what I'm going to have to do at the end of the year:

Part Year resident in current state.
Non-resident for ~ month or 2 for new state.
Then part year resident for new state?

I think this may be a year where I get an accountant. I normally do my own taxes, but I'm not sure if I could figure this out with just TurboTax alone.

Anyone with this experience/and or insight would be really appreciated!

xocotl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Tax question...
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 03:12:03 PM »
I recently moved states and continued to work in the old state. What you say lines up pretty well with what I had to do (although since I continued working in the old state, rather than start work in the new state, it was the old state that I filed both Non-Resident and Part Year Resident for). My state in particular (Massachusetts) has a single form for filing as both a Non-Resident and Part Year Resident, although there's an extra worksheet you have to fill out if you're using it for both.

I ended up filing my taxes on my own, but would recommend just getting someone to do it. I normally file my own taxes, but without using any software -- just directly filling out the official forms. The instructions for Non-Resident/Part Year Resident (once again, for Massachusetts at least) were rather vague and hard to follow, even as someone who is fairly used to reading tax form instructions.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
Re: Tax question...
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 03:15:45 PM »
Part year resident in both states, likely. Every state is different so pay attention when preparing your returns. Your W-2's will list different states, so make sure you record the wages and withholdings in the proper state.

Some states will count all wages earned where you live, then give you credit for any taxes paid to other states. Some will only tax you on income earned in the state. It should be too difficult to do yourself if you have some experience in reading tax law or understanding the output from a turbotax type system.