Author Topic: Tax advantage retirement investments are at the maximum. What's next?  (Read 2276 times)

Edge_of_Happiness

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hey All.

Long time lurker, first time poster.    I am seeking some investment advice. Over the past 5 years, we have been very blessed allowing us to get our finances in great shape. Here is our current situation:

• My spouse and I contribute to the max 401K
  • We also contribute max to Roth IRA
  • We have our emergency fund funded
  • We have our house paid off and no real debt
  • We have kids and are contributing towards their college education through a 529 plan

We are good at budgeting and we have about $500 a month left to invest, but I am unsure what to invest in. Buying stocks is one option, but I'm not sure is the best option. We currently don't have a high-deductible insurance plan so I was told that we can't contribute towards an HSA account.  Today, we have about $340K in retirement investments.

Moving forward, my spouse and I have high stress jobs that are volatile, so the ability for us to max out our 401K/Roth IRA's might be short lived (2-3 years). I want to position ourselves the best way during this period.

Many thanks for anyone's advice.

ruraljuror

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Vanguard or Fidelity index funds with super low fees.

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
We also contribute max to Roth IRA.

We are good at budgeting and we have about $500 a month left to invest, but I am unsure what to invest in.
Vanguard or Fidelity index funds with super low fees.
The second quote above applies to both items in the first post.  In other words, those funds are good ideas whether in tax-advantaged or taxable accounts.

See https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax-efficient_fund_placement for thoughts on how to arrange things when you have significant amounts in accounts with different tax treatment.

Thinkum

• Pencil Stache
  • Life is Good
I would just put that money into Vanguard Index funds. Low fees and just set it and forget it. Unless you want to get involved with hands-on investing like Real Estate, outside of the stock market. You can put that money aside as a down-payment towards a rental property.

GrowingTheGreen

• Bristles
    • Growing The Green
I would just put that money into Vanguard Index funds. Low fees and just set it and forget it. Unless you want to get involved with hands-on investing like Real Estate, outside of the stock market. You can put that money aside as a down-payment towards a rental property.

This.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!