Author Topic: Tax Act  (Read 7730 times)

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
Tax Act
« on: February 03, 2015, 02:42:46 PM »
I have been using Turbo Tax since I started doing my taxes myself about 8 years ago. We bought a rental house this year, and TurboTax goes up $20 to $55 with a rental property. I am thinking about switching to TaxAct because I think it is free (I have no state tax because I live in FL). I want to be mustachian about this, but I am nervous because taxes just make me nervous in general, esp. with adding the rental.

Any thoughts on TaxAct? Is the switch a good idea?

PS - I am not planning to file on my own without software help, and I think it is really awesome people do that, but that is just not me.

MrMoogle

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Tax Act
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 02:57:55 PM »
I've never tried Tax Act.  If you use Vanguard, you can get Turbo Tax at a discounted rate.  If you're flagship, it's free for the lower ones, I think I'll be spending $10 for a higher one. 

If you log into vanguard.com there's a turbo tax icon on the right, just click it and it'll take you to their turbo tax page, which details the discounts.  Click on the turbo tax icon there and login that way and you'll get the discount.

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 03:01:05 PM »
I've never tried Tax Act.  If you use Vanguard, you can get Turbo Tax at a discounted rate.  If you're flagship, it's free for the lower ones, I think I'll be spending $10 for a higher one. 

If you log into vanguard.com there's a turbo tax icon on the right, just click it and it'll take you to their turbo tax page, which details the discounts.  Click on the turbo tax icon there and login that way and you'll get the discount.

Thanks - that is a step in the right direction. It dropped Turbo Tax $15 to $40. I may do that if I don't hear anything about Tax Act.

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 03:07:52 PM »
Been using TaxAct for 7 years. It's great, no complaints. I don't use it for real estate however. And I think you need to pay for federal if you're not filing (and paying for) a state return. Even then, it's still only around $15.

kd2008

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 03:14:24 PM »
I have used Taxact for 7 years or so. It has worked for my situation. I changed a friend over from Turbo Tax to Tax Act couple  of years ago and he had no issues.

TaxAct Federal + State Ultimate bundle for $18 includes e-file for federal and 1 state.

Got it for $6 when the deal was alive: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1421520/

AH013

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 03:29:38 PM »
Also have been using Tax Act for so many years I can't remember (probably 6 or more?).  No complaints.  Usually get it for $10-$15 for Deluxe Federal + State depending on how early I snag their best pricing or find a deal.  Multiple employers, multiple investment accounts, school expenses, other stuff, and TaxAct performs well.  If I ran a business on the side or had complex rental properties I may reconsidered but I think it'd hold pretty well against any other software-based program all the same.

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 03:43:05 PM »
I have used Taxact three years, since I had to begin filing in two states.  They have been great.  Last week I emailed their customer support a question and received a clear answer in less than five minutes.

Miss Prim

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 03:48:01 PM »
I've used taxact for many years.  We have a rental property and a small business (schedule C) and have never had any problems using the program.  It is under $20.00.                           Miss Prim

hexdexorex

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 05:16:34 PM »
been using it for 5 years....no complaints ...got the $6 deal as well.

mozar

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 06:15:07 PM »
I used turbo tax for a few years then switched to tax act. For me turbo tax holds my hand too much and tax act is more flexible and cheaper for my somewhat complicated taxes.

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 06:38:09 AM »
Thanks so  much for the feedback! I think I might take the plunge and switch this year.

Overseas Stache

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 07:21:05 AM »
I am a huge fan of Tax Act. I have used them for probably about 6 years. So far it has handled all my scenarios just fine, (business income, Rental properties, Living overseas).

If you don't have a state income tax IT IS COMPLETELY FREE!!!!

Seriously just make the switch.

catccc

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 08:42:09 AM »
I have been using tax act for a few years.  I just file the federal online for free, then do my states by hand.  I am a CPA and get annoyed with the interview format sometimes.  I'd rather drop numbers in forms, but I do like not having to whip a calculator out for calculated lines.  I primarily use tax act for the arithmetical (if that's a word...) ease and so I can e-file my federal return.

NotJen

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 08:47:01 AM »
Just to echo everyone else - TaxAct is completely free to file your federal return if you decline all the upgrade offers.

It will also do your state return, but you don't have to file it. I can free-file through my state's website, so that's what I do, but always check my state return against what TaxAct has calculated.

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 08:49:50 AM »
I switched to TaxAct last year because of TurboTax forcibly blocking Linux users. I haven't found it to be lacking compared to TurboTax.

Shade00

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 09:04:54 AM »
I switched to TaxAct several years ago when TurboTax tried to charge me $60 to e-file my state return. Since then, I have been locking in TaxAct early every year (usually October-ish) for about $11.99 for federal and state e-filing. I have not had any issues with TaxAct and I am happy with the value.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 09:53:27 AM »
Another Taxact multiyear user who locks in pricing early.

MillenialMustache

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2015, 09:26:31 AM »
Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I just submitted my taxes with TaxAct for FREE! Yay! I saved $40 and will continue to save that every year. :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!