Author Topic: Tampa Bay Area Internet Question  (Read 2858 times)

mpg350

• Stubble
Tampa Bay Area Internet Question
« on: January 23, 2015, 06:31:48 AM »
I am really getting pissed at what Verizon is charging me for 25 speed internet $80+....talked to a co-worker he has much faster speed for around $90.

I use to have cable and home phone but dropped that last year, that did save me some money but at this rate in 4 or so years I will be paying $140 for internet only.

I know we have a good amount of members in the Tampa Bay area so what are you guys doing for internet?

I am thinking of switching to Brighthouse they seem to be a cheaper some.   Any other options?

firebeard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Tampa Bay Area Internet Question
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 08:17:52 AM »
It wouldn't be a near-term resolution (or might not pan out at all) but you could write to your representatives about supporting local/state gov't operated broadband.  A lot of big telco's seem pretty scared of that reality, and a some competition among them would benefit the rest of us.

jwilliams0215

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • WinningWilliams
    • WinningWilliams
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 09:40:36 AM »
I live in the Tampa area have FIOS. They have increased my monthly rates twice this year: from $50 to $58 in January and then to $65 in November. I think we have the slower speed than you do (works fine for our usage). Since I'm planning on moving in the near future, I'm going to cancel and see if I can get a better rate at the new location.

jmcarminati

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 07:34:14 AM »
I live in Tampa and dropped cable a few years ago.  I use Earthlink internet which uses the same infrastructure as Brighthouse for about $40/month.  It's not lightning speed or anything, but just fine for streaming Pandora/Roku/Amazon Prime etc.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 08:40:40 AM »
I switched to brighthouse recently - got a deal on a 60mg interent plus tv. We already have to pay brighthouse through the hoa (that deal will be gone in 2 years woohoo) so it made little sense playing for FIOS as well.
I detect little difference between them.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 09:09:11 AM »
I have Bright House.  We pay $48 a month for standard (15 Mbps) internet.  It just went up $4 per month for modem rental, so I'm planning to buy a modem.  Their customer service has been good, though.  Twice, we've had the cable ripped off our house by a passing box truck.  They repaired it the next day, for free, each time.  The second time (finally) they hung it higher.

I started with BH because they had a deal with my employer (it was $40 then).  I'll see if I can get it cheaper from Earthlink (thanks!).