Author Topic: Talked to Homeowner's Ins Agent today about $1M liability coverage  (Read 1515 times)

jnw

• Handlebar Stache
Right now I have $100,000 liability coverage on my homeowner's insurance policy.  I asked him how much more it would cost to make that $1,000,000 instead.   To my surprise he said it was only $37 more per year.  So like $3 extra per month to have that extra protection.

Seems like it is worth it no?

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
Re: Talked to Homeowner's Ins Agent today about $1M liability coverage
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2019, 02:33:35 PM »
Liability insurance is cheap, unless you've demonstrated you're an unusually high risk. If it makes you feel better to have it, there are far worse ways to spend $37 / year.

GizmoTX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 02:09:20 AM »
Umbrella insurance is an even better way to increase liability coverage because it extends to your vehicle & any other property insurance plus provides lawsuit coverage.

Brother Esau

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 09:14:35 AM »
Umbrella insurance is an even better way to increase liability coverage because it extends to your vehicle & any other property insurance plus provides lawsuit coverage.

We added the umbrella insurance. Additional $1M in coverage for $210/yr.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 08:29:05 PM »

We added the umbrella insurance. Additional $1M in coverage for $210/yr.

Right, umbrella would be the better option here as it covers other types of liability that homeowners wouldn't (such as an at fault car accident). You'll likely need to increase your auto and homeowners liability limits somewhat based on the requirements of the umbrella insurance company, but it will be less than $1M of coverage.